HELP.... Which CAI is better for my focus 12 INJEN or K&N?? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-27-2013, 04:22 AM   #11
wimvc35
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115902
What I Drive: 2012 5-Door Kona Blue Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 wimvc35 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I just installed a K&N typhoon CAI 2 days ago and can't get enough. its got a great sound when accelerating hard but quiet when going slow. personally i love it. u could also check out fswerks.com but the reviews point to the K&N so yea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2013, 09:44 AM   #12
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Fan#: 85425
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by whimsicalpouch2 View Post
remember, its just a pipe with a brand name. either or won't make a difference on your performance, just sound and it'll sound the same. pick whichever
That's not true
Sonic Crew #04
Steeda SRI/Newmission | Steeda RSB | SMC Replica ST Wing | SMC Aluminum Oil cap | Injected Tune | 2.5" custom exhaust
Old 07-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #13
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 47 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by _RED_ View Post
I'd say steeda If you want you filter in stock location. Otherwise I think AEM or Injected's full CAI would be good choices.

Sent from my Google Edition S4
This x2. I couldn't stand the Typhoon-it sounded ghey to me. Very near the sound of running sans-lid. The Steeda is much better imho and cleaner sounding, and user dyno's show it to have the most gain.

For mpg and linearity I think the FRPP kit is probably the best, but it's tough to swallow the additional cost for the scoop over the K&N drop-in alone.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 07-27-2013, 09:59 AM   #14
dyn085
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by whimsicalpouch2 View Post
remember, its just a pipe with a brand name. either or won't make a difference on your performance, just sound and it'll sound the same. pick whichever
You obviously don't know too much about this subject. Nothing about your statement is correct in the slightest.

September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 07-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #15
Juicedz
Focus Addict

Fan#: 108814
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Hatchback SE, 5sp

FF Reputation: 3 Juicedz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I love my steeda and they're a vender on here as well. I'm tempted to pick up the duratec engine cover after seeing how good it looks with the steeda intake in Mr. Dyno's ^ engine bay.
Hatch Nation#24 168whp 153wtq
Old 07-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #16
ducati20
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 105190
What I Drive: 2012 White SEL

FF Reputation: 1 ducati20 Good Standing Member
I have the FSWerks mainly due to it's significantly lower cost... All the current intakes are going to provide some level of power increase or drivability improvement over the stock intake. There is a dyno thread on the site with lots of graphs to compare, and someone did an intake shoot-out if I recall correctly.... that may have been another site though.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #17
dyn085
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati20 View Post
I have the FSWerks mainly due to it's significantly lower cost... All the current intakes are going to provide some level of power increase or drivability improvement over the stock intake. There is a dyno thread on the site with lots of graphs to compare, and someone did an intake shoot-out if I recall correctly.... that may have been another site though.
Yes, that was over on FJ. I have difficulty with accepting the results due to the fact that they claim a 20HP gain with just the Typhoon and then opted to not test the Steeda due to is 'similar design' of other intakes.

I would be just as skeptical if an AEM vendor did a 'shootout' where the AEM was substantially better, or if an Injen vendor did a 'shootout' where the Injen was substantially better. I prefer end-user data as they generally have less to gain by publishing their results.

September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 07-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #18
bnoon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116854
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE hatch

FF Reputation: 1 bnoon Good Standing Member
I happen to like just a filter in the stock location sans lid. Best part for me was that it was "free" since I had the filter laying around already. Noticable gain all through the rev range and better mpg by a little ove 1 mpg.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #19
MG_MK3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114522
What I Drive: 2013 Blue Candy Focus Hatchback SE

FF Reputation: 0 MG_MK3 Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
This x2. I couldn't stand the Typhoon-it sounded ghey to me. Very near the sound of running sans-lid. The Steeda is much better imho and cleaner sounding, and user dyno's show it to have the most gain.

For mpg and linearity I think the FRPP kit is probably the best, but it's tough to swallow the additional cost for the scoop over the K&N drop-in alone.
Where are these dynos to show that the steeda has more "gains" over the KN.
I own the KN, but have no bias towards it in any way. The gains from the steeda compared to the KN were usually the same, or not enough to point at one and say its better.

I've seen ups and downs from both, for example; KN's bad use of Fords stock maf housing and Steeda's heat shields.
Instagram @miKeyGilmore #MK3SLöCUS
Old 07-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #20
dyn085
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG_MK3 View Post
Where are these dynos to show that the steeda has more "gains" over the KN.
I own the KN, but have no bias towards it in any way. The gains from the steeda compared to the KN were usually the same, or not enough to point at one and say its better.

I've seen ups and downs from both, for example; KN's bad use of Fords stock maf housing and Steeda's heat shields.
You would have had to have been following the performance section for the last couple of years to have seen it. The dyno thread doesn't show much of a percentage of dyno runs that have been done in that period of time. You have to compare gains seen over OEM, which means that the user would have had to have done both OEM and modded pulls.

As for Steeda getting better numbers, I'm not talking massively better-maybe 2-3(ish) HP. If I were buying brand-new and had not physically heard the difference, I would go for the Typhoon for the considerable cost savings. But now that I have run both, I'm much happier with the Steeda over the Typhoon.

I'm not bias at all and will be installing the FRPP kit for daily driving. My first and foremost recommendation over every single intake is the snorkel-delete and K&N drop-in. For the dollar-to-HP and driveability combination it absolutely cannot be beaten.

September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-

Bookmarks & Social Networks