About to pull the trigger on a 13 Focus - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #11
splicedwdm
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92283
What I Drive: '12, candy red, Focus Ti hatch

FF Reputation: 2 splicedwdm Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadikQc View Post
Hi everyone, first timer on FocusFanatics here!

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Focus TI '13 with the Titanium handling package and GPS. But before, I'd like some opinions and answers.

Is the Titanium handling worth it? Is the GPS worth it or I'm better with my Nexus 4 and Google Navigation?

Here in Quebec (Canada), we currently have 2 promotions: 0% financing over 60 ans 72 months and Ford Employes's Rebate. So 2 things that are pretty interesting.

My current car is a Chevy Cobalt LT 06. Distance to work is 80km (160 km daily). The road is mostly Highways, and my current car is doing 7.6L/100km (31MPG). I know that when I push my pedal rock-bottom, the car has power and can overtake pretty easy. How is the Focus compared to this?

How is MyFordTouch handling Android? How is MyFordTouch in general? Is it buggy as people say or a techsavvy guy will get the hang of it?

That's most of the question I think for now.

Thanks in advance guys!

Hi and welcome to the forum! I have a 2012 Focus Ti hatch. With respect to trim level, it's a matter of personal preference. If you're spending a lot of time in your vehicle, it makes more sense to have all the creature comforts.

I have the DCT and love it - it's true what Deftmetal says, if the tranny behaves from the get go, it will likely remain that way. Notably, I haven't had ANY issues. *knock on wood* KEEP IN MIND, it's an automated manual - a test drive with some low speeds will help you understand. If you're willing to adapt your use of acceleration to the mind-set of a manual driver, you should be just fine.

With respect to the GPS, I recommend getting a TomTom or Garmin, or even the phone option you mentioned - steep price tag for what is otherwise relatively inexpensive to purchase separately.

MFT has only hiccuped on me once, and the issue cleared itself the next time I started the car. The only thing I would say, is that the response time could be better; but all the features work as expected, and my recent downloading and updating of the MFT system went smoothly.

The handling package is a nice option if you like to push your vehicle every-now-and-again, however, it will require you to get snow tires and steel rims for the winter - an extra couple-a-hundred at the least!

Fuel economy in my experience has been right on par with some of the best numbers others have gotten. Premium fuel (Ultra 94) is a nice treat for that extra kick in HP (my experience).

Overall, like many other members, I love my Focus. Ford has done a great job IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #12
saireah
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116690
What I Drive: 2014 Platinum White Titanium HB

FF Reputation: 3 saireah Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I didn't bother getting the GPS for one reason:

My boyfriend's parents' 2013 Explorer has been in the shop an insane amount of times because the GPS isn't working properly. It acts as if they're driving a different way when they're not -- on a trip to Chicago, it had them driving through Lake Superior. Plus, I have a Garmin.

To me, personally, it wasn't worth the additional cost.

I don't have my car yet, but I did test drive with the DCT and I didn't mind it at all. It's just a bit more aggressive than your average automatic, but I preferred it.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #13
SadikQc
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 117181
What I Drive: 2006 Orange Cobalt LT

FF Reputation: 1 SadikQc Good Standing Member
Thanks BTW for the answers! Really appreciated
Quote:
Originally Posted by splicedwdm View Post
If you're willing to adapt your use of acceleration to the mind-set of a manual driver, you should be just fine.
I'm already a manual driver, im just tired of having to play with both my feet while in traffic... especially after a 8h+ day behind a desk, my leg could use some real moving instead of having some cramps.

What do you mean by adapt? Like when the car revs at X RPM, leave the gaz pedal a bit like if I was shifting gear on a manual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by splicedwdm View Post
The handling package is a nice option if you like to push your vehicle every-now-and-again, however, it will require you to get snow tires and steel rims for the winter - an extra couple-a-hundred at the least!
That was already in my plan, I already have steel Rims with winter tire on. Cheaper in the long term for switching tires IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saireah View Post

My boyfriend's parents' 2013 Explorer has been in the shop an insane amount of times because the GPS isn't working properly. It acts as if they're driving a different way when they're not -- on a trip to Chicago, it had them driving through Lake Superior. Plus, I have a Garmin.

To me, personally, it wasn't worth the additional cost.

I don't have my car yet, but I did test drive with the DCT and I didn't mind it at all. It's just a bit more aggressive than your average automatic, but I preferred it.
According to both of you, Google navigation is way better and less trouble than the gps in MFT. According to that it's an easy 800$ options that I can remove off the list.

I'm still curious how this DCT feels like. I'll know it next monday and I'll see how I feel about it.

How's the rocker for the sport driving mode? Can you use it to downshift and use engine compression to brake? At high speed, can you downshift to get that small power you need to overtake like my manual?
Old 07-26-2013, 02:52 PM   #14
SUPSALES
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 112938
What I Drive: 03 BLUE ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 SUPSALES Good Standing Member
Man my father in law has the titanium and I love it. Its super clean but for the price I would go for a ST. Better performance all around. If you ever want some decals check out my website

www.stuckupproducts.com
Old 07-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #15
saireah
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116690
What I Drive: 2014 Platinum White Titanium HB

FF Reputation: 3 saireah Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Honestly, if you know how to use a manual, I kind of agree -- the ST is niiiiice. I can't drive stick, so I had no other option.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #16
SUPSALES
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 112938
What I Drive: 03 BLUE ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 SUPSALES Good Standing Member
Do it big do it right go st :)
Old 07-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #17
splicedwdm
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92283
What I Drive: '12, candy red, Focus Ti hatch

FF Reputation: 2 splicedwdm Good Standing Member
[QUOTE=SadikQc;4822145]Thanks BTW for the answers! Really appreciated

I'm already a manual driver, im just tired of having to play with both my feet while in traffic... especially after a 8h+ day behind a desk, my leg could use some real moving instead of having some cramps.

What do you mean by adapt? Like when the car revs at X RPM, leave the gaz pedal a bit like if I was shifting gear on a manual?

I suppose I'm referring to the fact that when you give the engine more gas and the transmission's computer begins to engage the clutches, you'll lose RPM's just as you would when letting in the clutch on a manual. But you're already familiar with this...so no biggie.

Basically, try it out - hope you like it!
Old 07-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #18
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 8 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadikQc View Post
Hi everyone, first timer on FocusFanatics here!

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Focus TI '13 with the Titanium handling package and GPS. But before, I'd like some opinions and answers.

Is the Titanium handling worth it? Is the GPS worth it or I'm better with my Nexus 4 and Google Navigation?

Here in Quebec (Canada), we currently have 2 promotions: 0% financing over 60 ans 72 months and Ford Employes's Rebate. So 2 things that are pretty interesting.

My current car is a Chevy Cobalt LT 06. Distance to work is 80km (160 km daily). The road is mostly Highways, and my current car is doing 7.6L/100km (31MPG). I know that when I push my pedal rock-bottom, the car has power and can overtake pretty easy. How is the Focus compared to this?

How is MyFordTouch handling Android? How is MyFordTouch in general? Is it buggy as people say or a techsavvy guy will get the hang of it?

That's most of the question I think for now.

Thanks in advance guys!
I have a '12 Ti with DCT, MFT, and nav.

The DCT with the latest update is quite good and very smooth.

I wouldn't hesitate for a second to get MFT again. Mine works consistently well and sounds much better than the "non-MFT" systems.

Even though the nav is not cheap or state of the art, I like the fact that it is integrated into the MFT system and both LCD panels. I would get it again without hesitation.

The problem with asking for recommendations is that you get a lot of people responding with nothing but hearsay (i.e. without first hand experience).

BTW, regarding the handling package, you should be aware of the trade-offs which are more $$$ for replacement tires and more road noise.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:40 PM   #19
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 8 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by saireah View Post

My boyfriend's parents' 2013 Explorer has been in the shop an insane amount of times because the GPS isn't working properly. It acts as if they're driving a different way when they're not -- on a trip to Chicago, it had them driving through Lake Superior.
I highly doubt that what you described is an inherent problem with the design of the factory GPS (I've never had that problem).

That sounds more like a service related issue.

If someone had recurring problems with the power windows on their Explorer, does that mean that you should insist on manual windows for a new Focus?
Old 07-26-2013, 05:45 PM   #20
timeatkuu
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 112507
What I Drive: '12 BlCndy Ti Hatch DCT w/ Hand Pkg

FF Reputation: 1 timeatkuu Good Standing Member
I have a '12 Focus with Ti handling package, DCT, and MFT. I have owned the car for just over 4 months, driven over 16,000 km, and have almost no problems. I would buy another in an instant.

I always drive my car in SelectShift mode. Where I work, parking lot speeds are enforced to 15 km/h in order to reduce the chances of motor vehicle incidents / injuries to fellow coworkers. If you have experience driving a manual and good throttle control, you should have no problems with the jerkiness at low speeds many others claim to experience with the DCT. Also, the DCT is a six-speed, and supposedly gets better gas mileage.

The handling package is great to have. You can have some pretty "spirited" moments with no issues. Steering response for a DD vehicle is great, and body roll is very well tamed even when cornering flat out.

I've had a couple of loading/freezing problems with MFT, and that's only been on 2 or 3 occasions while giving unrecognized voice commands.

One other problem I have with the car is the high side and rear sight-lines (eg. the rear window position)... But this is typical in most new vehicle designs from the new cars I have driven.

And on a side note... I did not purchase a new '13 because the pre-owned '12 Titanium that was on the lot was just the way I would've purchased one brand new (aside from the tire wear & tear and the mileage), and I refuse to take the first year depreciation hit. Something to consider.

Bookmarks & Social Networks