Rear drum/bearing to stub shaft install - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #1
SkiToLive
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 117149
What I Drive: 2005 ZXW SE Red

FF Reputation: 1 SkiToLive Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Rear drum/bearing to stub shaft install

Hello. I am replacing the rear brakes, drums, stub shafts on my Focus. All was going well until time to place new drum/bearing assemblies on new stub shafts. The Haynes manual says to "slide" new drum/bearing assembly onto the stub shafts. The new parts get stuck when trying to slide the drum/bearing assembly onto the stub shaft. How do I make sure I don't damage the bearings but still get the assembly and stub shaft together?

Can I gently use a mallet and board to get them together or do these parts need a press?

Thanks in advance for any info!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #2
Marde
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115991
What I Drive: 2004 ZTW PZEV 2.3 ATX

FF Reputation: 7 Marde Good Standing Member
Hello,
I am not exactly sure what your talking about, but I think this might be itů?

I recently replaced my rear (drum) brake pads. This was my first time doing brake pads. It was fairly easy and very messy, but I had one big problem that kicked my butt. I could not get the Drum back on. The problem was something called the Automatic Adjuster. The auto adjuster needs to be manually adjusted (I used a small screw driver) and then the drum will fit back on.

Check out this really great Drum Brakes PDF I just found online ->

http://www.sanjuan.edu/webpages/jaso...ation%20TB.pdf

Scroll down until you find Figure 14-22. Now look at the item called Adjuster Lever. That lever has Teeth that bind against an opposing surface. Using a screw driver, figure out how to make the teeth disengage (if you are pushing on it hard, that is the wrong way of doing it) and then it will move some. Once you do this, the Drum will fit back on.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
mrdeath2000
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91996
What I Drive: 2014 White SE 5spd

FF Reputation: 3 mrdeath2000 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
the bearings should be pressed into the drum, and that should all slide onto the stub without need of a mallet.

Depending on the drums you buy, some come with a bearing already pressed in. I know autozones rear focus drums do, but there have been some complaints on their quality, but if they go bad (whine) they're easy to replace and they warranty them (2years?)
Old 07-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
Marde
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115991
What I Drive: 2004 ZTW PZEV 2.3 ATX

FF Reputation: 7 Marde Good Standing Member
Whoops. I was way off track. Sorry about that.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #5
joecicalese
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105573
What I Drive: 2001 Black ZTS

FF Reputation: 4 joecicalese Good Standing Member
Yes as long as the bearing came pre-pressed in the drum all you have to do is maneuver it onto the stub. A mallet would be fine. Mine felt like it was cocked and felt a little hard to turn but once the wheel was back on and I drove it it freed itself up with no damage to the wheel bearing.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #6
mrdeath2000
Focus Enthusiast

if you physically cannot get the stub to fit the bearing with these parts not installed on the car, then I would double check my part numbers and check both sides parts, maybe one part got packaged wrong.

Also, see how they compare to the parts you remove and see if you can pinpoint if the stub is wrong, or the drum is wrong.

Checking the adjuster is a good idea too incase we're talking about the wrong thing. the shoes will be pressed out more from the old drum being worn, so you have to dial the shoes back in some.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #7
SkiToLive
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 117149
What I Drive: 2005 ZXW SE Red

FF Reputation: 1 SkiToLive Good Standing Member
Thanks to everyone for the quick responses. The drum fitting onto the new brake pads was not the issue as I moved the adjusters. I purchased new drums with the bearings already pressed in. The problem arises with the new stub shafts going into the bearing.

The old stub shafts fit into the new bearings nicely but the retaining nut would need to be tightened to get the drum/bearing combo seated properly. When I try to get the new stub shafts inside the bearing, they get hung up on the first 1/16" of the stub shaft.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:09 PM   #8
mrdeath2000
Focus Enthusiast

check if both new stubs get stuck the same way.

Maybe ordered the wrong part # or the site you ordered from messed up the order or incorrectly listed the compatible part #'s.

see if the stubs maybe have a number stamped on them. If you want post the part # you ordered, not sure if being in Canada your car or parts interchangeability would have an inpact, but it's not unheard of.

Is there a problem reusing your old stubs? If the stub isnt grooved you can reuse it, unless there is excessive bluing from overheating.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #9
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Magus2727 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
why did you feel like you needed new stubs?
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 07-26-2013, 01:00 AM   #10
harrison.mike.j
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 113544
What I Drive: 2002 Red Focus SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 harrison.mike.j Good Standing Member
They inner races of the new bearing would be a very close fit to the new spindle (stub). I know even when servicing rear brakes sometimes you need to give them a little side to side wiggle to get them to slip on. I would be very hesitant to use a mallet and would imagine something is wrong if they are not fitting. Try a very thin residue of bearing grease to reduce the friction.

Bookmarks & Social Networks