Discussion on whether US-makers should abandon DCTs - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-23-2013, 06:16 AM   #11
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

Points 12,559, Level 73
Points: 12,559, Level: 73 Points: 12,559, Level: 73 Points: 12,559, Level: 73
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%
FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Personally IMO the problem with the Focus DCT is sloppy QC and nothing to do with design.
If the trannies were made in Germany none of this stuff would be an issue.
With such a high tech tranny they source it out to Mexico, and then did not install the QC necessary to make certain the tranny would be good 100% of the time.
Ford paid for that lazyness trust me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2013, 06:45 AM   #12
Shorty Long
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 68979
What I Drive: '12 Focus Titanium, Kona Blue

Points 1,968, Level 26
Points: 1,968, Level: 26 Points: 1,968, Level: 26 Points: 1,968, Level: 26
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 Shorty Long Good Standing Member
i think the same could be said with their release of MFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
Personally IMO the problem with the Focus DCT is sloppy QC and nothing to do with design.
With such a high tech tranny they source it out to Mexico, and then did not install the QC necessary to make certain the tranny would be good 100% of the time.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:58 AM   #13
gkirk
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91903
What I Drive: 2012 C.Red Focus SE Sport Package

FF Reputation: 3 gkirk Good Standing Member
I drive the following cars regularly: Acura MDX, Mazda 3, Honda Fit and Ford Focus.

The 3 and mdx are > 5-6 years old. Whenever I drive one of those other autos, I am instantly annoyed now.

Yes the DCT has its quirks. But it's more fun to drive overall than an auto tranny. We get used to how fast the DCT shifts and how much more like a manual it feels and we forget how much auto transmissions suck balls (besides being insanely expensive to replace).

Stick to the DCT, get it fixed.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:29 PM   #14
CriticalMass
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63989
What I Drive: 2009 Focus Coupe SES, Silver

FF Reputation: 2 CriticalMass Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
/agreed.

Could go either way at this point. On the one hand if it was QC, then Ford should have resolved that issue for the 2nd year. The fact that the DCT is still having issues into year 2 doesn't bode well for it just being a QC issue or just a bad choice for using x part supplier.

However, I'm not overly confident about anything that is made in Mexico. The automobile is the 2nd most expensive thing many people will ever purchase, and it is THE most complicated piece of machinery that many people will ever purchase. So having it assembled in Mexico. Well, heh, I remember the Beetle's with their side mirrors literally falling off the cars while driving down the road, the clear-coat peeling issues and all the other problems they had.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #15
autolite
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46002
What I Drive: 2006 pitch black zx4

Points 445, Level 8
Points: 445, Level: 8 Points: 445, Level: 8 Points: 445, Level: 8
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 3 autolite Good Standing Member
I know the stamped parts for the DCT are made in Ohio then shipped to Mexico for assembly per Gertec.Years ago LUK USA was working on a wet clutch and Germany was working on the dry clutch.The wet clutch seemed to have a buyer then faded and went away.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:04 PM   #16
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

Points 7,376, Level 57
Points: 7,376, Level: 57 Points: 7,376, Level: 57 Points: 7,376, Level: 57
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 11 Joeywhat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
No, they shouldn't abandon what will likely be the mainstream transmission of the future. They're more efficient and faster shifting then planetary gearboxes...it would be a huge mistake to leave that technology behind due to teething problems...especially when other automakers will continue to develop the tech and eventually release an extremely refined product. Let's remember that the planetary gearbox has been around for a LONG time and as such has had plenty of time for improvements to be made. At some point in the future, dual clutch gearboxes will perform very well and be extremely reliable.

Also, as they become more popular, people will get used to how they operate and complaints not related to to inherent "quirks" of a DCT will disappear. Right now many issues people have with these gearboxes are related to their operation and the differences in how the vehicle drives with it versus something with a torque converter...and actual defects in the product are not too numerous (although still present in some cases).

Also, I feel that the hardware side of it is likely fine, but the software is what needs to be developed. DCT software is likely new ground for a lot of companies, and even those who have been developing it since it first started there still hasn't been a ton of time to make everything super refined.
Hatch Nation #29
Old 07-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #17
GhiaFan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50498
What I Drive: 2007 Panther Black Focus 1.6 Ti-VCT

Points 8,638, Level 62
Points: 8,638, Level: 62 Points: 8,638, Level: 62 Points: 8,638, Level: 62
Level Up 63% Completed
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 12 GhiaFan Great Standing Member
Ford Europe began offering the "dry" clutch Powershift mated to the 1.6L Ti-VCT 125hp engine with the MK3 Focus, about one year after the MK3 Focus launched.
Then later on began offering it "dry" clutch Powershift in the Fiesta 1.6L Ti-VCT 105hp.

Ford Europe has stated that they will offer the "dry" clutch Powershift in the Fiesta 1.0L 125hp Ecoboost, but not in the Focus 1.0L 125hp Ecoboost.

Both Ford and VW's dry dual clutch transmissions are getting a lot of negative feedback from owners. VW complaints are coming from all its global markets were it offers its dry dual clutch DSG, whereas Ford is getting (at least from my research) the majority of its negative feedback from North America owners.

Ford is developing a new "wet" dual clutch for low torque applications for the Asian market, and my gut tells me that we will see the dry clutch fad away in the sunset in the not too distant future.

Unless the designers can figure out a way to deal with thermal management issues,(which is the issue IMO) with the dry dual clutch trannies.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #18
GhiaFan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50498
What I Drive: 2007 Panther Black Focus 1.6 Ti-VCT

Points 8,638, Level 62
Points: 8,638, Level: 62 Points: 8,638, Level: 62 Points: 8,638, Level: 62
Level Up 63% Completed
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 12 GhiaFan Great Standing Member
This is what GM is thinking to try to get a more user friendly dry dual clutch
http://drivelinenews.com/transmissio...converter-dct/

Ford is working on a very complexed cooling system to deal with the thermal issues.

If you are really interested in the research being done on dry dual clutch systems you can pay for research papers at papers.sae.org.

It is obvious that the dry dual clutch transmissions are a big cost saver for the auto makers, by the research going on to make these transmissions feel and act like what the North American consumers expects from a so called automatic transmission

Last edited by GhiaFan; 07-29-2013 at 06:57 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:27 PM   #19
valmundo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89368
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE & 2013 ST2

Points 3,802, Level 39
Points: 3,802, Level: 39 Points: 3,802, Level: 39 Points: 3,802, Level: 39
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 11 valmundo Great Standing Member
The real question is if Ford, VW and whomever else abandons DCT, what will they switch to? It is clear that a torque converter transmission is not as fuel efficient.

I think Ford should stick with DCT just like Honda and Nissan stuck with the CVT. If you recall, that transmission was bashed like nothing else. However, the driving public got used to it. I suspect in time the same will happen with the DCT.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:02 PM   #20
mix1983
Life Is Good

Fan#: 61101
What I Drive: 2000 Honda Civic EX 5spd

Points 8,873, Level 63
Points: 8,873, Level: 63 Points: 8,873, Level: 63 Points: 8,873, Level: 63
Level Up 41% Completed
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 5 mix1983 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
They can keep coming out with whatever crap they want to as long as a standard manual transmission is still an option. I don't want anything to do with the drive-by-wire, weird transmission, electric steering, etc.

Bookmarks & Social Networks