Serious Problem, Spark Plug piece fell into my Cylinder - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-21-2013, 10:12 PM   #21
tylerdetox
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 109283
What I Drive: 2001 Ford Focus ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 tylerdetox Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Update:

Knocking is Gone, I took it for a drive; Have Full power still and no CEL.
I consider my self Lucky, but its too early to say.

to anyone who ever has this problem. Try the Vacuum Trick, if not try using a bore scope and getting it with small pliers or tape on a hose... Anything before having to take the Head off, although I would of took the Head off, but I had no Gasket, and all stores were closed but that would of been the Last Resort.
I would never Recommend to just 'try it' and hope for the best...

When I started it for the first time, It was idling ruff, and I thought it was done. Eventually after what felt like Minutes, the Knocking Stopped and it was idling normal. Thank you all for your help!

On the bright side, i also changed my oil and I Fixed my Speedometer by replacing the Speed Sensor in the Transmission.
But thank you everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2013, 08:02 AM   #22
tylerdetox
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

So I have one last question,
What kind of damage would it of done? And what should I look for. Its not burning oil, no smoke.

And although the knock is pretty much gone (still has a faint knock), could it still be in there?
Or should I just not worry about it?

Just want to make sure I'm good.
Thanks!

Last edited by tylerdetox; 07-22-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #23
CJ148941
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115820
What I Drive: 2011 Black SE, 2.0L 5 spd

FF Reputation: 1 CJ148941 Good Standing Member
The ceramic will just bounce around if your lucky. But it will still cause damage by scratching cylinder walls, similar to putting a piece of broken glass in your mouth it will cut "scratch" you everywhere. Worse case it will get stuck between a valve causing it to stay open, when your piston comes up it will bend and possibly break the valve. Your knocking may be the valve hitting the piston. Some damage has already been done I would suggest looking into engine and get it out before it completely degrades your engine.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #24
Paul R
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116744
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 Paul R Good Standing Member
Watch to see if you have any oil consumption issues as that would indicate that the rings or cylinder walls were damaged allowing oil blow-by. A key indicator of severe damage would be smoky exhaust.

-Paul

2013 Focus ST
Tuxedo Black ST3
Old 07-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #25
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Poor poor car. The knock tells you everything. Lack of patience and ability again leaps to the forefront. Could've rolled engine to where valves were all shut and repeatedly fired compressed air jet in cylinder with piston maybe 1/2" down to eventually have piece end up in center where it could be seen and grabbed with claw grabber tool. Or maybe punched lightly with small punch into smaller pieces and then blasted out with air again.

Cylinder wall not your problem there, rather the piston, it's aluminum and far weaker than the iron walls are. The knocking probably the piston decks getting smashed with dents. The piston edge if impacted is now damaged and a chunk of ring land will always have the chance of coming loose. You should look at the SPI piston damage when a valve seat lets go, this won't be as bad but could still easily be as fatal. Pistons in some ways are just as brittle as the plug ceramic.

Every spark plug on earth can break like this, there is no difference in quality at all in the ceramic, the difference is leaning sideways on the socket, or not using proper center foam insert socket.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #26
CotyM
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85558
What I Drive: blue, y2k, 5spd ZX3, zetec inside

FF Reputation: 3 CotyM Good Standing Member
...Well it's obviously built ford tough I guess...
Hatch Nation #32

I'm mad! Your mad! We're all mad here!
Old 07-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #27
tylerdetox
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
Poor poor car. The knock tells you everything. Lack of patience and ability again leaps to the forefront. Could've rolled engine to where valves were all shut and repeatedly fired compressed air jet in cylinder with piston maybe 1/2" down to eventually have piece end up in center where it could be seen and grabbed with claw grabber tool. Or maybe punched lightly with small punch into smaller pieces and then blasted out with air again.

Cylinder wall not your problem there, rather the piston, it's aluminum and far weaker than the iron walls are. The knocking probably the piston decks getting smashed with dents. The piston edge if impacted is now damaged and a chunk of ring land will always have the chance of coming loose. You should look at the SPI piston damage when a valve seat lets go, this won't be as bad but could still easily be as fatal. Pistons in some ways are just as brittle as the plug ceramic.

Every spark plug on earth can break like this, there is no difference in quality at all in the ceramic, the difference is leaning sideways on the socket, or not using proper center foam insert socket.
So how long would I have until I start noticing ? And ill post a video of the knock / tick Later tonight
Old 07-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #28
JPFocus86
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115084
What I Drive: 2005 InfraRed ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 JPFocus86 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdetox View Post
So how long would I have until I start noticing ? And ill post a video of the knock / tick Later tonight
You definitely pounded the ceramic pieces into the piston/cylinder head. I'd give it a month. You could always take the head off and look for yourself though to see if the damage was significant

Current: InfraRed 2005 ST

SR #279
Old 07-22-2013, 04:19 PM   #29
tylerdetox
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFocus86 View Post
You definitely pounded the ceramic pieces into the piston/cylinder head. I'd give it a month. You could always take the head off and look for yourself though to see if the damage was significant
Alright, so in a month I'll either blow my engine or start seeing signs. Any chance i wont? I will upload a video of my engine , and will take my head off when I get time next week to do so.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #30
stephenellis
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114094
What I Drive: 2010 Silver Focus Sport

FF Reputation: 1 stephenellis Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdetox View Post
Alright, so in a month I'll either blow my engine or start seeing signs. Any chance i wont? I will upload a video of my engine , and will take my head off when I get time next week to do so.
Unlikley, you will at least notice your car drinking oil like hell. Keep an eye on it or you really will sieze your engine, almost literally welding your pistons to the cylinder. Not pretty or cheap!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using FF Mobile

Bookmarks & Social Networks