Serious Problem, Spark Plug piece fell into my Cylinder - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-21-2013, 05:14 PM   #11
Obocecha
Focus Addict

Fan#: 28484
What I Drive: 2002 Yellow ZX3

FF Reputation: 15 Obocecha Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
You need to use compressed air and blast into the cylinder. This should blow out any pieces of spark plug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #12
stephenellis
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114094
What I Drive: 2010 Silver Focus Sport

FF Reputation: 1 stephenellis Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CotyM View Post
OUCH yeah that's a problem... This is why some people here like to say not to use cheap plugs, specifically made by NGK and BOSCH... Yeah to get that out your most likely going to have to pull the head, unless you have allot of patience with very thin pliers...

To answer question on how to crank the engine "by hand" you have to remove the serpentine belt (optional but makes it easier) remove the passenger side wheel and belt splash guard, and use a wrench and socket to turn the crank fully clockwise "by hand" until the cylinder is closest to top so you can see in...
Exactly what I was thinking, just never done it on anything larger than a sthil saw 2 stroke engine!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using FF Mobile
Old 07-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #13
CotyM
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85558
What I Drive: blue, y2k, 5spd ZX3, zetec inside

FF Reputation: 3 CotyM Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obocecha View Post
You need to use compressed air and blast into the cylinder. This should blow out any pieces of spark plug.
To were? The same hole your blowing into? Into the intake? Out the exhaust? It's a ceramic piece it not just going to flutter out of the engine like dust...
Hatch Nation #32

I'm mad! Your mad! We're all mad here!
Old 07-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #14
Squareleft
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33224
What I Drive: 01 zx3

FF Reputation: 1 Squareleft Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Look, dont use compressed air and surely dont crank the engine(scoreing). Thats rediculous. you are just going to blow it back into your manifold and if you are somehow lucky to get it to go through your exhaust. no likely. rig up tubing on your shop vac with tape and a series of tubing to go inside the hole and get it out. It wont hurt your piston but it will surely ruin the cylinder wall and score it, which will cause oil to get past the rings. Ceramic is pretty damaging and if it were a small piece of plastic it would long melt and work its way out.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:42 PM   #15
Squareleft
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33224
What I Drive: 01 zx3

FF Reputation: 1 Squareleft Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CotyM View Post
To were? The same hole your blowing into? Into the intake? Out the exhaust? It's a ceramic piece it not just going to flutter out of the engine like dust...
Agreed above. compressed air could just drive smaller pieces to the cylinder wall and piston as well.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #16
tylerdetox
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 109283
What I Drive: 2001 Ford Focus ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 tylerdetox Good Standing Member
So after spending hours on this, here is the verdict.

As me and my buddy were trying to get it out with the vacuum, we took a small piece of tubing and tried to get it out, moved the tube around and couldn't hear or feel anything down there. Then we took the small tube off and put the spark plug wires back in cyl 1,3,4 and tried that.

I thought I heard something come up out of there, but he Didn't... so we checked the vacuum (We didn't empty it) and couldn't find anything.

So we attempted a Garden Hose which fit just over the hole and created a vacuum inside the Cylinder. Still didn't hear anything get sucked up or seen anything.

We then put the Smaller hose back in and moved it around. Still couldn't feel it, or see it, or Hear it moving around...

So I Can run the Risk of Starting it, and Hoping for the Best. Or take my head off tomorrow... But then I have no way into work . So im at a Loss. Any other Suggestions?

Also, the Piston was Stopped on the Cyl High... So i dont know if that is good or bad. (Like when i shut it off, it was higher rather than lower)
Old 07-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #17
02ztsian
Focus Addict

Fan#: 14466
What I Drive: V6Mistake, Volvo S70

FF Reputation: 8 02ztsian Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Take that small rubber hose and duct tape it to the shop vac creating a very small vacuum. Turn on the vacuum and insert the rubber hose and hope you can suck it enough to pull it out.
Same applies to stupid.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #18
tylerdetox
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02ztsian View Post
Take that small rubber hose and duct tape it to the shop vac creating a very small vacuum. Turn on the vacuum and insert the rubber hose and hope you can suck it enough to pull it out.
Already did that for an hour, Didnt hear or find anything.. But it could still be there, Its a risk. So im thinking I might just risk her and start it.
Like ive said, I have always wanted a SVT motor in my ZTS.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #19
CJ148941
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115820
What I Drive: 2011 Black SE, 2.0L 5 spd

FF Reputation: 1 CJ148941 Good Standing Member
I wouldn't risk it, you might not have a way to work tomorrow but losing one day is better than how many you would lose by getting another engine put in. I would take the head off and make sure you get it out. I wouldn't want to see you lose an engine over a $x spark plug.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #20
tylerdetox
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ148941 View Post
I wouldn't risk it, you might not have a way to work tomorrow but losing one day is better than how many you would lose by getting another engine put in. I would take the head off and make sure you get it out. I wouldn't want to see you lose an engine over a $x spark plug.
Well we found a piece, so i proceeded to Get everything ready to start her up.

She started, with a LOUD knock; i revved it to 4 grand and held it until i couldn't hear it as loud. then repeated, and now there is a smaller knock but its not loud.

So there was still a Piece in there, and I Will not Recommended to ever RISK it because I thought I Blew my Engine when It was Knocking and having really hard idle.. But its fine now... (for now that is)

ill keep you posted

Bookmarks & Social Networks