Slightly different Duratec build... - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Second Generation > DURATEC Performance (2008-2011)

DURATEC Performance (2008-2011) The place to chat about any Duratec 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-20-2013, 09:07 PM   #11
felixthecat
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 11,453, Level 70
Points: 11,453, Level: 70 Points: 11,453, Level: 70 Points: 11,453, Level: 70
Level Up 51% Completed
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 62 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
That looks great & your torque is up too. I like the spec's of those cams. I'd love to try those cams, but for a DD the stage 1 cranes work great for me.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mixBigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2013, 09:12 PM   #12
boss351
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 79947
What I Drive: 2009 Caterham

FF Reputation: 1 boss351 Good Standing Member
So that setup has kept me happy for a couple of years, but as it always happens, you get the itch to mess with things. I had always been interested in switching out from a single TB intake to ITB's.

Caterham offer this setup on their cars and use the Cosworth Roller Barrels, me being me wanted to try out something different (and be warned, I haven't dyno tuned yet so I could be falling flat on my face)

There is a great outfit in the UK called SBD Motorsports, they sell a lot of kits and upgrades for Duratecs, Zetecs and Hyabusas. After some going back and forth I decided to take my setup up a notch and first upgraded rod bolts (to ARP) and new rod bearings (decided not to do rods and pistons yet - wanted to do stuff that would let me leave the engine in the car first). After that change which lets me raise the red line to 7750 safely I got started on the ITB's:

http://www.sbdev.co.uk/Duratec/Fuel%...Backplates.htm
Old 07-20-2013, 09:17 PM   #13
boss351
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I'll get back to this thread later, poorly photo documented but at a minimum I can fill in with what I am using and how it is going..
Old 07-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #14
GhostTribute
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107929
What I Drive: 2001 Mazda Tribute (2.0L Zetec)

Points 281, Level 5
Points: 281, Level: 5 Points: 281, Level: 5 Points: 281, Level: 5
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 GhostTribute Good Standing Member
Nice project you have here. Looks like it would be a lot of fun to race and work on. I'm in for the individual throttle body build. That SBD Motorsports definitely looks like a nice intake setup. What size are the throttle plates on them?
Old 07-20-2013, 10:13 PM   #15
mikebontoft
Aurelius Pardus

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

Points 23,450, Level 94
Points: 23,450, Level: 94 Points: 23,450, Level: 94 Points: 23,450, Level: 94
Level Up 10% Completed
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Forum Activity 19%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%
FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
awesome! I have to say though.... that first pic:

SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 07-20-2013, 11:24 PM   #16
Driven5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95835
What I Drive: Building a Duratec powered Locost.

Points 50, Level 1
Points: 50, Level: 1 Points: 50, Level: 1 Points: 50, Level: 1
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Driven5 Good Standing Member
Great looking Caterham!...I'm definitely anxious to see how the ITB's dyno, as I'll eventually be assembling a "poor-man's" setup not too dissimilar from yours as my Locost progresses. With your dyno cutting out before the power started dropping, the increased redline alone should have net you a few more ponies. I would imagine the further increased breathing from the ITB's could definitely show a noticeable gain on top of that. How is idle and around town (<3000rpm) driveability with those cams? It will also be interesting to hear how the ITB's end up affecting this as well.

That is a pretty nice looking intake manifold it came with, but I'm slightly surprised they didn't use the Cosworth Focus manifold, since it all points the same direction anyways. I didn't think Caterham was shy when it came to using Cosworth labeled parts, but I guess I never really paid too close of attention either. Maybe it would have stuck out too far for the nose taper? Either way, it's also interesting to see that Caterham kept the stock Duratec plastic valve cover, complete with the hood clearance killing high-rise 710 cap.

You can follow my Duratec powered 'Locost' build at:
GarageOdyssey.blogspot.com
GarageOdyssey.tumblr.com
Old 07-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #17
boss351
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven5 View Post
Great looking Caterham!...I'm definitely anxious to see how the ITB's dyno, as I'll eventually be assembling a "poor-man's" setup not too dissimilar from yours as my Locost progresses. With your dyno cutting out before the power started dropping, the increased redline alone should have net you a few more ponies. I would imagine the further increased breathing from the ITB's could definitely show a noticeable gain on top of that. How is idle and around town (<3000rpm) driveability with those cams? It will also be interesting to hear how the ITB's end up affecting this as well.

That is a pretty nice looking intake manifold it came with, but I'm slightly surprised they didn't use the Cosworth Focus manifold, since it all points the same direction anyways. I didn't think Caterham was shy when it came to using Cosworth labeled parts, but I guess I never really paid too close of attention either. Maybe it would have stuck out too far for the nose taper? Either way, it's also interesting to see that Caterham kept the stock Duratec plastic valve cover, complete with the hood clearance killing high-rise 710 cap.
Justin,

the cams are fine, idle a little high for a smooth idle, about 1500 rpm, I forgot to mention earlier that I did have to pocket the pistons to give a little more clearance for the valves and of course those cams required the appropriate new springs and retainers.

The ITB setup is running (fired up last night) and maybe not surprisingly once we synchronized the butterflys it idles better with them than with the single throttle body setup, and it will idle at 1200 rpm easily, maybe I'll go a little lower still.

With the 2.0L block there is no issue with clearance to the hood, even with the ugly oil filler cap. They do provide a carbon cover to go over the coils that tidies things up a bit though. You may be right on the Cosworth vs their own intake manifolds, it is likely to do with the clearance to the hood at the front on the narrower S3 Caterhams.

-- Adam
Old 07-21-2013, 11:46 PM   #18
boss351
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Okay, dyno hopefully lined up for Tuesday.

Basically, to switch to the SBD Tapered Throttle bodies this is what was needed:

1) Plug the injector inlets on the head (SBD provides machined plugs, they hammer in and use a special loctite glue, heating the head with a torch for a bit on each hole helps
2) Slight replumb on my fuel setup, may not be the same for a Focus, but I had a 4.5 bar pump with no return line, ideal for the SBD setup is 3 bar and a return line. Rigging the return was not that difficult in the Caterham as the tank had an inlet that was just hooked to the filler neck. I fitted am AN6 bulkhead connector to the pump unit and connected it to the pump, then plugged the original outlet from the pump assembly. Used Aeroquip Startlite kevlon braided fuel lines, nice stuff. SBD provided fuel rail and injectors that go in to the throttle bodies tapered runners also the 3 bar regulator
3) Installed ambient air temp and baro sensors in place of MAP
4) Setup throttle cable

Pic of modified fuel pump (I think it is from a Zetec Fiesta or Focus from the UK
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1480.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	18764  

Old 07-21-2013, 11:53 PM   #19
boss351
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

SBD also provided base tune, you have to set the TPS position so that the sensor voltage reads a determined value at fully closed then wind in the idle control to a certain amount. From there on, you should be able to fire it up and it run.

Mine did, though very rich (I have an Innovate LC1 AFR gauge installed), quick and easy to adjust the fuel map with the Easimap software that comes with the ECU and then start the process of balancing the throttle bodies with a synchometer, also pretty easy. Idles right now at 1200 rpm but could drop.

Next tasks, dyno for real tune and cut a hole in the hood (bonnet) for better breathing for the intake.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1493.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	18766  

Name:	IMG_1495.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	18767  

Old 07-21-2013, 11:56 PM   #20
boss351
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Next up I'll try and post a vid link of the first run (really), it was easier to set up than I anticipated
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1482med.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	18768  

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.