Buying a New Car -- Taking Delivery - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

Points 711, Level 14
Points: 711, Level: 14 Points: 711, Level: 14 Points: 711, Level: 14
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 11 Arco-Zakus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Buying a New Car -- Taking Delivery

In another thread jcw122 mentioned that he had ordered a 2014 Focus, which was probably his first new car. He is obviously eager for its arrival. A reply I started to write began to look like a serious thread hijack so I decided to put it here instead:

I buy new cars infrequently enough that each time I have felt like noob because I tend to forget the best way to handle everything. If this is a first for you then some things I plan to remember for my next one might help you, too. If you've done this before/recently, maybe you can help me remember how to do it right. (This seems like something that would already be in an existing thread somewhere, but I could not find it.)

As exciting as it will be on the day your new car arrives, it would be useful to come prepared with a checklist so excitement does not become a distraction. Maybe that's too OCD for some, but that's just me, and checklists work fine for pilots. I'm not sure of what all needs to be on the list yet (it is evolving as I type this), but other members can help fill it in and maybe organize it better between now and when your car arrives.

If they call late in the day to tell you your car is ready for you to come and pick up, make sure you will have the time, and they will be there long enough, for you to do everything on your list. If not, arrange to come earlier on the following day. (You can do it -- just one more night.) Be prepared for the whole process to take longer than you would expect it to. Also be prepared to take notes.

One big item on the list is to do a thorough inspection and test drive before accepting delivery your new car. Do not assume that since it is brand new and, since you have driven others like it, that there can't possibly be anything wrong with it. (Voice of experience on this one.) Sometimes damage occurs in shipping. Nobody will do as thorough a QA check as you, the new owner, are likely to do -- as long as you can contain your excitement.

If they try to get you to sign the papers after showing you the car briefly, without allowing you inspect it thoroughly until after signing, don't accept that. If there is anything wrong with it (e.g. damaged upholstery, tail light lenses rubbing on paint, any problems with steering or noises in suspension, etc.), your leverage to get problems corrected is a lot stronger if they have to at least acknowledge it IN WRITING before you accept the car. If you have a video camera, or a friend who can take video of any problems you might discover, that could help. If you bring it back a week later to be repaired and anyone tries to say that you damaged something you will have proof.

Taking video of the whole inspection rather than just of any problems discovered could be overdoing it, but the absence of defects is also worth documenting. If you discover something later, the video would show whether it's new or you just missed it.

(This may sound paranoid, but it's not. One dealer service manager actually tried to tell me, after they had changed the whole blown up engine in my new Honda Accord that a deep scratch on the top of the right front fender was there when I brought the car in to them. Funny how it was right in line with where the oil drain plug would be with the engine on a hoist. I told them the pictures I took of the car right before dropping it off were still in my camera, but they would prove him wrong when I got them developed that afternoon. It was a bluff, but he went for it. They repaired that fender, but the silver paint was mismatched from then on. Major test of anger management skills.)

I don't know whether it is a good or bad idea to tell the salesperson in advance that you plan to do all this, but don't let them hurry you through it. Maybe you could ask a few days before the car is supposed to arrive what their normal process is. If there is anything you would want to do differently then suggest it at that time. They might be motivated to do a more careful inspection themselves if they know you plan to double check everything. Some owners tell the dealer to NOT wash the car because they want to do it (more carefully) themselves. (That's on at least one of the threads here on FF.) Washing the car yourself immediately is a good way to inspect for defects, too.

The sales person is likely to demonstrate things like the audio/entertainment system, climate controls, etc., but you'll want to go over every inch of the exterior and interior, too. Check for any body/paint repairs, like a body & fender repair estimator would do. Check under the hood, under the car. Fold the seats down. Have a friend watch external lights while you test them. You get the idea. (Maybe do a practice run on your current car in advance and add to the checklist as you go?) Have an idea beforehand about what level of problem you will be willing to correct yourself and what would require you to either return to the dealer later, or even delay delivery until after the dealer corrects it. Worst (and least likely) case, you might even reject the car. I can't imagine one being bad enough to do that, but it's possible. You would not want to talk yourself into accepting something you will be dissatisfied with later, just because you have been waiting so long for it and the people delivering it are skilled at overcoming objections. (Reminder to myself: be assertive.)

If you can, get a blank copy in advance of the contract form you will have to sign when you pick up the car. That way you can read through it carefully, which should make reading it before you sign it on THE day easier. If I recall correctly, they're huge and packed with hard to read text in a very small and light colored font. (Maybe I'm confusing that with our last cable service contract.) They'll tell you, "Oh, that's all just a standard contract." Fine for them, they do this every day, but we don't. Come prepared with all the numbers you expect to see filled in, based on the deal you previously negotiated. Compare them carefully and be sure you understand any differences. If you find anything you do not like in there after you have signed it, too bad. Don't be afraid to ask about anything you do not understand or challenge anything you don't like. As Cesar Milan says, stay calm but assertive. (I'm usually so "laid back" that I have to remind myself frequently.)

If anyone acts hurt because they take your thoroughness is an indication that you don't trust them, that's a tip to trust them a bit less. You can tell them it's not them you don't trust but yourself because this is not a familiar situation for you and you don't want to mess anything up. (No matter how friendly the salespeople you've worked with have become, this is a business transaction, not personal. It's also zero-sum, so don't rely on them to look out for your interest.)

Another item is to decide before that day whether you will buy an extended warranty. If you have not already purchased one, you will be pressured on the spot while you are eager to get your new car. That is obviously not the best time to analyze the cost and pros vs. cons. The last time my wife got a new car they dragged their feet, keeping us waiting for over an hour extra before doing this, probably to wear down our resistance and take advantage of our eagerness to get the car and go home. (We didn't realize until later that what we had been waiting for was not the car, but a pitch to buy an extended warranty. If we had been more alert then we would have gotten up and gone to find the car ourselves.) Don't let anyone pressure you into anything you have not decided on your own is a good deal. If they tell you you can only get their best price that very moment, tell them "No. I won't buy one from anyone who uses that sleazy tactic." If you do plan to buy one, negotiate for a better price than their first offer, which will probably be way too high. (Know in advance what a "good" price would be).

Sorry if this is a downer for what should be a fun day, and for how long and disorganized it is, but if I didn't write it down now I probably wouldn't have gotten back to it for a long time. If any of it sounds condescending (I've been accused of that elsewhere) ignore that -- I'm writing it as much as a reminder to myself as I am as advice to anyone else.

I hope other members have suggestions to add to the list. Maybe building and reviewing it while you're waiting will help you pass the time?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2013, 11:12 PM   #2
techman
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 116212
What I Drive: N/A

FF Reputation: 1 techman Good Standing Member
Great advice :-) I'll definitely keep it in mind when I pickup my car in a few weeks (months?)

Thanks!
Old 07-18-2013, 11:31 PM   #3
Deftmetal

Fan#: 105884
What I Drive: 2014 Mazda 3

Points 6,005, Level 50
Points: 6,005, Level: 50 Points: 6,005, Level: 50 Points: 6,005, Level: 50
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 9 Deftmetal Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Nice write up.

There are almost always defects in the paint somewhere or some overspray from someone tagging the train car it was in.
Rally Revolution #14
Josh
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Don't hate on an amputee chick that's still playing with lego's.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:39 PM   #4
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '14 Tangerine Scream ST3

Points 13,860, Level 76
Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76
Level Up 53% Completed
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 15 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Yes pretty good advice.
They will do all they can to fix stuff if you catch it before you sign. But after? hah hah..
(actually that is the difference between a great dealer and an average one: the great dealer WILL fix it quickly even if you signed, most dealers will make you suffer... So check before signing.)
Old 07-18-2013, 11:39 PM   #5
1slofofo
Adam

Fan#: 92422
What I Drive: Mk3

Points 4,504, Level 42
Points: 4,504, Level: 42 Points: 4,504, Level: 42 Points: 4,504, Level: 42
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 6 1slofofo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Good write-up, when I went with my sister to see her car (a day before delivery) I was the only one who noticed the antenna was missing. She and the salesperson (even the car porters/movers) failed to see it
Old 07-19-2013, 12:15 AM   #6
AJK31
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 83106
What I Drive: 2011 Red Focus SE

Points 309, Level 6
Points: 309, Level: 6 Points: 309, Level: 6 Points: 309, Level: 6
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 AJK31 Good Standing Member
I clean new Lincolns pretty much every day (it's my job) and Ford has this nasty habit of getting the headliners dirty. So to add on to the advice, check and double check the headliner to make sure there are no stains. Just because a car is "new" doesn't mean it is perfect.

Also, double check the exterior of the car for any adhesive left over from shipping. In general, dealers usually do a pretty decent job with their pre-delivery inspections but some stuff can get unnoticed. These cars get wrapped up pretty good before they are shipped and almost always have some adhesive on them.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:52 PM   #7
saireah
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116690
What I Drive: 2014 Platinum White Titanium HB

Points 600, Level 11
Points: 600, Level: 11 Points: 600, Level: 11 Points: 600, Level: 11
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 3 saireah Good Standing Member
Thanks for this write-up. Perfect timing for me, since I'm likely ordering a 2014.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #8
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

Points 711, Level 14
Points: 711, Level: 14 Points: 711, Level: 14 Points: 711, Level: 14
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 11 Arco-Zakus Great Standing Member
Does this really help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saireah View Post
Thanks for this write-up. Perfect timing for me, since I'm likely ordering a 2014.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm eager to hear how the process goes for you. Please return after you get your new car with any tips for how to improve this for everyone else, including me sometime later this year (I hope).

I'm also working on a response to a question about how to tell if a price quoted by a dealer is "good" that you asked in your thread. It, like this one, ended up being long enough to seem like a thread hijack, so I'm planning to open a new thread for it, too. One more part of the process of buying a new car. I hope I get that done in time for you to see if it helps you. (It will be good if I can make it shorter and better organized than this one, but editing is not one of my favorite tasks.)
Old 07-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #9
saireah
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116690
What I Drive: 2014 Platinum White Titanium HB

Points 600, Level 11
Points: 600, Level: 11 Points: 600, Level: 11 Points: 600, Level: 11
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 3 saireah Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arco-Zakus View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I'm eager to hear how the process goes for you. Please return after you get your new car with any tips for how to improve this for everyone else, including me sometime later this year (I hope).

I'm also working on a response to a question about how to tell if a price quoted by a dealer is "good" that you asked in your thread. It, like this one, ended up being long enough to seem like a thread hijack, so I'm planning to open a new thread for it, too. One more part of the process of buying a new car. I hope I get that done in time for you to see if it helps you. (It will be good if I can make it shorter and better organized than this one, but editing is not one of my favorite tasks.)
Excellent! I will be sure to let you know.

Right now, I'm communicating with my salesperson through e-mail. I love that, as I'm not confrontational to any degree in person. Much better in writing.

Updated numbers for you as this is a different dealer:

2014 Titanium Hatchback, base paint colors: $21,888. They are requiring $500 down, a signed buyer's agreement (you don't talk financing until the car is delivered -- in case there's any better rebates being offered at that time), and a copy of your driver's license. This price was given to me as they knew I was talking with a competitor about the 2013 SE with 201A. The $1,000 price difference for a model year newer and the Titanium package just felt like a no-brainer to me. I'm still not sold on My Ford Touch, though. :) But, boy, that "no need to dig through my purse for my keys" feature will be looooovely. I knew I'd miss that with the SE from my current car. Quoted 4-6 weeks for delivery.

The difference between a 201A 2014 SE and the Titanium was very minimal -- like $600.

I now want the Platinum White (my current Nissan is black -- and I don't want to be reminded of that garbage car ever again so I figured I'd try something new!), but have a very specific goal of paying my car off in 3 years. This $595 up-charge is something I can't afford to add, particularly since I am considering undercoating/rust-proofing (I live in Iowa -- and I plan to keep this car for a long time). I've read a lot about the pros and cons and, while I originally wasn't considering it, I looked under my boyfriend's 2007 Ford Escape this weekend, without undercoating and regular washes/in the garage overnight, and I do see some rust. That changed my opinion a bit.

The dealer has brought this charge down to $495 for me, but am hoping they will go lower with the amount I'm going to put down on it.

A tip: my salesperson told me that, if you request a brochure online for a new model (i.e. my dealer didn't have any 2014 brochures), Ford will often send you a $500 or $750 rebate certificate. He's had this work with everyone that he's sold a car to on the edge of a new model year save one person. This would be an excellent tip for your guide. I will confirm if this is true. The rebate would certainly help me a lot and guarantee I ordered the car, so it's wonderful for Ford to offer that to seriously-interested buyers in new model years.

Feel free to message if you have any questions. Thanks for your attention to my posts! :)
Old 07-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #10
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Fan#: 1986
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arco-Zakus View Post
I hope other members have suggestions to add to the list.
One more thought... try if possible to inspect the car in full sunshine. There may be paint defects or scratches or other minor issues that you might miss if you inspect it at night or on a cloudy day.

This happened to me when I bought my wife's car new a couple of years ago. When we inspected it, it was cloudy, after signing, the sun had come out and I noticed some minor bubbling in some 3M type plastic on the rear fenders. I don't know if I just missed it the first time, or if it was more obvious in the sun? Fortunately, my dealer was kind enough to take care of it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.