2014 Mazda 3, Ford falling behind? - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-25-2013, 07:56 AM   #31
carnage.exe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 112726
What I Drive: '13 Perf. Blue Focus, '13 Dart GT

FF Reputation: 1 carnage.exe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
What I want to know is if that display that sticks up from the center console comes down? My wife is looking for a new car and that is one of the few things she doesn't like.
Injected Tune!
More to come!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2013, 09:45 AM   #32
kylesvt720
NeedsMoarEverything

Fan#: 51359
What I Drive: 2006 Saabaru "The Unicorn"

FF Reputation: 16 kylesvt720 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Just did some research, realized you can get the 2.5L unless you buy a $24k + Mazda3. No thanks. Removed from my list of next cars.

ST CREW #107 / TEAM DURATEC #93 / D23 Crew #3
Old 07-26-2013, 07:21 PM   #33
rallyrs
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 19498
FF Reputation: 3 rallyrs Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylesvt720 View Post
Just did some research, realized you can get the 2.5L unless you buy a $24k + Mazda3. No thanks. Removed from my list of next cars.
Huh...and added to mine..partially thanks to this thread.
2.3 Duratec/MZR,slushbox-sold
Old 07-26-2013, 07:34 PM   #34
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylesvt720 View Post
Did you mean to say speed3 at the end of that?
Old 07-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #35
carnage.exe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 112726
What I Drive: '13 Perf. Blue Focus, '13 Dart GT

FF Reputation: 1 carnage.exe Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlassMaker View Post
I think he means the MAZDA3 s Grand Touring 5-Door. Which starts at around $24K
Injected Tune!
More to come!
Old 07-28-2013, 12:51 AM   #36
saywhaat04
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85358
What I Drive: 2007 Honda Accord EX-L

FF Reputation: 1 saywhaat04 Good Standing Member
I really like the current Ford Focus but it is true that the car has fallen behind somewhat compared to the Mazda3 and some of the newer competition. It's quite understandable considering the Focus is entering into its third model year. Isn't the 2015 Focus supposed to be an updated model? I read somewhere that Ford plans to show it off at NAIAS in January. If so I cannot wait to see it. Here are a few areas where the I feel the Focus has fallen behind.

-Projector beam headlamps...the new Corolla will offer standard LED headlights and a fully loaded 29K Focus still comes with plain ole halogen headlights.
-HID headlamps (they should be offered if not standard on the Titanium Focus and Fusion for the price Ford is trying to charge for the cars) Dodge Dart & Mazda3 offer HIDs
-LED taillamps on the Titanium: Mazda3, Dodge Dart and Sentra all offer LED tails.
-Pandora should be available with MFT
-A 6spd manual should be standard on the Focus, the 5spd is decent but a 6th gear would be nicer
-A higher output motor should be used on the Titanium...perhaps the 1.6t or 1.5t from the Fusion
-MFT needs a full revision. Ford makes things so complicated. A look at the new system in the Mazda3 looks very simplistic and easy to operate.

I believe some of the "fluff stuff" Ford offers (like self parking) is a waste of resources, they should Focus on technology that buyers actually use and features the competition offers.

Whenever Mazda offers the 3 "S" models with the manual transmission I'm gonna be ready to pull the trigger on something new. If the Focus is not updated by that time, I'm going for the Mazda3, it offers everything the Focus does and its actually cheaper comparably equipped, though Ford will always have better rebates.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:59 AM   #37
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
To be fair, the Focus ST and Focus Electric both come with HID projector headlamps and the Electric has LED taillights.

Pandora works via AppLink on non-MFT vehicles

The ST has a much higher output engine and costs less than a Titanium... So if you want more power, you should buy an ST.

If people didn't want or didn't use the "fluff stuff", it wouldn't be an option. Remember, this is a GLOBAL car. Very few Americans parallel park these days, but other countries, parallel parking is a vital part of owning a car. Having a car that parks itself perfectly is a major selling point.

Basically, everything you want out of a Ford Focus can be had in a Ford Focus. I don't see what you're actually complaining about. Maybe you want a more customizable spec sheet?
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:24 AM   #38
saywhaat04
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85358
What I Drive: 2007 Honda Accord EX-L

FF Reputation: 1 saywhaat04 Good Standing Member
This is a discussion about whether or not the Focus has fallen behind the competition, that competition mainly being the new Mazda3. Since that is the discussion at hand, perhaps I didn't make my points clear enough or perhaps its a comprehension problem LOL.

Quote:
To be fair, the Focus ST and Focus Electric both come with HID projector headlamps and the Electric has LED taillights.
That's all nice and good, but the Dodge Dart, Corolla and Kia Forte offer these features on trim levels that cost less than the Focus or are comparable in price to a top trim Titanium. I'm aware that the Focus ST and Electric models offer HIDs and projector beams, but they aren't the volume sellers and the models that are volume sellers (SE and Titanium) have several competitors who offer those features without me moving up to the ST (which neither meets my needs nor my tastes) and the Electric (which is overpriced and not available in manual form) I don't have to move up to a Mazda Speed3 to get HIDs and LEDs on even the current Mazda3, I shouldn't have to be forced into a Focus ST to do so on the Focus, these features should already be available on the Titanium as is. The Titanium and ST have similar base MSRPs but when they are built as comparably as possible the ST is a few grand more, the Electric is about 8 grand more, no thanks.

Quote:
Pandora works via AppLink on non-MFT vehicles
This is something I'm fully aware of but its silly that the upgraded sounds system with all its doo-dads doesn't offer the same basic feature of the lower level system and is missing a feature that most of its competition now offers as standard equipment....again, an area where the Focus falls behind the competition. Civic, Dart, new Mazda3 and others offer Pandora as standard.

Quote:
The ST has a much higher output engine and costs less than a Titanium... So if you want more power, you should buy an ST.
At the expense of gas mileage, something the new Mazda3 will not suffer from since it will have the Skyactive 2.5 which will make more power and still get better fuel economy than the 1.6t or 1.5t, much less the gas gulping 2.0t. Another area where the Focus falls behind the Mazda3. Same thing will be true when the new Kia Forte5 goes on sale next month, it will have an upgraded engine that will get gas mileage similar to the base engine and make near 180hp. Focus is behind in this regard.

As far as the fluff stuff, they can offer it all they want but the Focus is still behind in regards to the things I just mentioned, you may not agree but its true. No need for a customizable spec sheet from Ford, they should simply offer what the competition offers within those same price ranges to comparable models. It was the Focus who lead the way with all these new technologies back in 2011, it won't take much for them to catchup.

So while its clever to think that everything I want in a Focus is available in some Focus (I mean technically that's true, a 6spd speed manual wagon is available in Europe and in the Focus but I can't have it LOL same is true of the feature content in the Focus ST that I can't have in the Titanium) many of the desirable features I would like (and from posts I've seen around here others would like) aren't available on the trims we'd like. Nice try though ;)

I'm not criticizing the Focus, I like the car in manual form but it is falling behind the competition, and that's natural considering its age, that however is not excuse to not update the car and keep it competitive and I think some of these changes will be seen next year if the car is revised as is rumored.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:55 PM   #39
JimsterG
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95184
What I Drive: 2012 5 dr SEL in Race Red

FF Reputation: 1 JimsterG Good Standing Member
I have close to 70K on my 2012 focus HB and have not had one problem with the DCT and it provides really good gas mileage
Old 08-06-2013, 08:06 AM   #40
kylesvt720
NeedsMoarEverything

Fan#: 51359
What I Drive: 2006 Saabaru "The Unicorn"

FF Reputation: 16 kylesvt720 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlassMaker View Post
No, the lowest model available with the 2.5L is $24k.

ST CREW #107 / TEAM DURATEC #93 / D23 Crew #3

Bookmarks & Social Networks