2014 Mazda 3, Ford falling behind? - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-23-2013, 10:36 AM   #21
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Fan#: 1986
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EGlideRider View Post
As a proud American who buys only American products when possible, the Mazda, nor any other foreign car, was never on my short list of cars.
I am just as proud of an american as the next guy (more so than some), but I think you are missing out on a lot of great cars. (possibly this Mazda 3 included)

out of curiosity, is my focus, assembled in mexico with parts from around the world more or less american than my father's american assembled Toyota?

How does chrysler fit in this? are they american, or does the Fiat ownership cancel that out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #22
gkirk
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91903
What I Drive: 2012 C.Red Focus SE Sport Package

FF Reputation: 3 gkirk Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_urn View Post
I am just as proud of an american as the next guy (more so than some), but I think you are missing out on a lot of great cars. (possibly this Mazda 3 included)

out of curiosity, is my focus, assembled in mexico with parts from around the world more or less american than my father's american assembled Toyota?

How does chrysler fit in this? are they american, or does the Fiat ownership cancel that out?
You at 100% correct about this. Really, the only distinction now is where the headquarters is and where the stock is listed. Our foci were designed in germany with parts built mostly in mexico. Is that really an 'american' car? I'd argue that the reason it's so well done is that it's German.

I'm as pro american as the next guy, but nothing is 'american' anymore except maybe B2 bombers.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:27 PM   #23
Missourileo
Captain Retard

Fan#: 55980
What I Drive: 2002 Black SVT ZX3,93 SVT Lightning

FF Reputation: 20 Missourileo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Wow!!! How original, looks like a Subie and a Hyundai and every other hatch out there........................Where the hell has automobile design went? It's all copycat, cookie cutter crap now.
Midwest crew #36
Hatch Nation#50
January 2010 ROTM
Old 07-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #24
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missourileo View Post
Wow!!! How original, looks like a Subie and a Hyundai and every other hatch out there........................Where the hell has automobile design went? It's all copycat, cookie cutter crap now.
Are you blind?
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #25
Missourileo
Captain Retard

Fan#: 55980
What I Drive: 2002 Black SVT ZX3,93 SVT Lightning

FF Reputation: 20 Missourileo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Nope, had LASIK not too long ago. This thing looks a lot like the Mitsubishi hatch
Midwest crew #36
Hatch Nation#50
January 2010 ROTM
Old 07-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #26
rallyrs
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 19498
FF Reputation: 3 rallyrs Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
It's Mazda that was falling behind-now they are catching up.

Passing Ford up?-possibly-but maybe not-I'll leave that judgement till I've driven both.

As you can see in my sig-I have an 04 Focus and 05 Mazda3,and I'm still a fan of both the new ones(but not the happy-face year Mazdas!)-but haven't got around to actually driving them yet-so that could change!

I hope the new 3 is more impressive than the skyactive cx-5 that I drove was.

I've been reading story after story raving how awesome the cx-5 was.

I was sure that was the SUV that we'd replace the wife's Mazda3 with-and I liked it's looks more than the new Focus-based Escape.

But after renting(and beating on!)a loaded 2.0 ecoboost Escape for a week(we unexpectedly loved it!),I finally test drove(no salesperson in the car-but only a 15 minute test drive)a loaded Skyactive CX-5.

Man, I was disappointed....maybe I need more time in the car..but I've been hearing about Mazda decontenting interiors on the 3, and in pics I thought-whats the big deal?-but our 05 3 has a much less drab interior than the cx-5(and the new 3).

Later my teen told me he was more comfortable in the back of the Escape too.

I couldn't quite pin it down-but just driving the cx-5 it felt cheap(even the steering wheel).

But interiors aren't everything...

I fired the CX-5 up,put it in gear and take off(driving normally-not hot-rodding) and this bellowing,droning WAAAAAAAAAA comes out of the engine.

WTF? Um..did they forget the sound deadening install on this car?

Maybe it's a Direct injection thing..but the Escape didn't sound like that..really annoying.

But the most annoying thing(and I don't know if the new automatic 3 has this too-hope not!)was the new for 2014 kickdown switch.

The gas pedal didn't have the most sturdy feel to start with(think playschool product),but on the underside of the pedal is this dong that SNAPS! loudly and suddenly into a hole in the floorboard if you push the pedal down all the way.

It was horrendous!

I'm thinking-that has to be some type of kickdown switch-and an internet check confirms that.

The idea is,for those hypermiler types,they can easily stay out of the trans kickdown and save fuel.

I'm not one of those types,and that constant snapping would drive me nuts-I wouldn't buy that car for the gas pedal alone...

Has anyone here driven the 2014 skyactive 3 in an auto version-does it have that too?

Why I'm asking-I'm kinda trying to talk the wife down to a hatch from the SUV and she likes her automatic.
2.3 Duratec/MZR,slushbox-sold
Old 07-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #27
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 54 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by blank102 View Post
Mazda ( like Honda) needs to discover the wonders of sound insulation.
I guess you haven't driven a '13 si, compared to a '12 si.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 07-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #28
kylesvt720
NeedsMoarEverything

Fan#: 51359
What I Drive: 2006 Saabaru "The Unicorn"

FF Reputation: 17 kylesvt720 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyrs View Post
But the most annoying thing(and I don't know if the new automatic 3 has this too-hope not!)was the new for 2014 kickdown switch.

The gas pedal didn't have the most sturdy feel to start with(think playschool product),but on the underside of the pedal is this dong that SNAPS! loudly and suddenly into a hole in the floorboard if you push the pedal down all the way.

It was horrendous!

I'm thinking-that has to be some type of kickdown switch-and an internet check confirms that.

The idea is,for those hypermiler types,they can easily stay out of the trans kickdown and save fuel.

I'm not one of those types,and that constant snapping would drive me nuts-I wouldn't buy that car for the gas pedal alone...

Has anyone here driven the 2014 skyactive 3 in an auto version-does it have that too?

Why I'm asking-I'm kinda trying to talk the wife down to a hatch from the SUV and she likes her automatic.
Everyone is raving about the auto in the new car. They are saying it's as fast an responsive as the best dual clutch transmissions out there. (VW etc) They say the paddles give instantaneous down shifts. Makes me consider an auto since it'll be my DD. DSG attitude without DSG maintenance. Would be nice. I can't imagine they'd be raving about it if it had that switch.

ST CREW #107 / TEAM DURATEC #93 / D23 Crew #3
Old 07-25-2013, 12:20 AM   #29
Bolto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101615
What I Drive: 2012 Plat White Ti

FF Reputation: 2 Bolto Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.mogul View Post
You have to remember, it took Mazda this long just to catch up. Ford's been selling the current Focus since August 2011...

I'm almost positive the 1.6t will appear in the next Focus (Or one of the newer 2nd gen ecoboost engines)
And they still haven't solved their DCT issues. There's so much competition in the compact market now, it won't matter how cool stuff Ford stuffs into the Focus if its reliability is questionable. I hope Ford takes care of that before anything else.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:11 AM   #30
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolto View Post
And they still haven't solved their DCT issues. There's so much competition in the compact market now, it won't matter how cool stuff Ford stuffs into the Focus if its reliability is questionable. I hope Ford takes care of that before anything else.
I really don't think ford cares about the DCT issues. They will most likly design and offer a different trans later and discontinue the dct. Those who have it will have to deal with the problem or swap in the new trans.

Same way they delt with the spi and the valve problem.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->