How can I DIY replace my front bumper? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Second Generation > MK2 Focus

MK2 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the second generation 2008-2011 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
starrock
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 69579
What I Drive: 2010 Sangria Red Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 starrock Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
How can I DIY replace my front bumper?

2010 Ford Focus SE Sedan - Red

I'm being very frugal and would like to reattach my fallen off bumper myself if at all possible. Here's a link to pics.

Dropbox Pictures

I included a picture that shows all the front bumper parts but I have no clue as to what I may need.
According to http://www.ehow.com/how_7325636_reattach-bumper.html
I need:
Push in Retainers
Rubber Mallet
Screwdriver

Can you guys help me with this DIY job? Or should I take it to the shop?
*if a new bumper cover is needed I'll just go to the shop. However if that's the case I'm thinking of going to the SES style with fog lamps.
All I'll need are the new latches and oem fog kit right?

Thanks a lot for any help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
cmmike1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63736
What I Drive: 2008 Silver Coupe SES

FF Reputation: 1 cmmike1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Looks like you could screw it on. The cover is toast though. Pop out that dent and just use a drill and screws til you can get a new one. Or just take it to a shop and have them replace whatever is needed.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
drunkyoda
Hmmmmm

Fan#: 65151
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black LX

FF Reputation: 9 drunkyoda Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
well if it got ripped off... you may need to straighten out the fender holes and check the other holes.

i would get a new cover if it was me...
Old 07-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #4
Smokey1r
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 113556
What I Drive: 2011 Flame Metalic Blue SES

FF Reputation: 2 Smokey1r Good Standing Member
There's a lot more going on there then a simple bumper cover replacement, have you checked the frame rails out where the bumper reinforcement attaches??!!, i see the drivers side was welded on to and the passenger side looks to be distorted at the end of it. your drivers side headlamp is out of its proper position allowing the front grille to tilt down and your hood is sitting lower than it should be.
Id take a long hard look at your radiator support to see how badly distorted it is also. The obvious is your AC condenser had a dent in it, hope it didn't develop a leak??!!.
Looking at the "CAPA" label on the bumper cover it looks to be a replacement so most likely there's previous collision damage there also.....

Get a replacement bumper cover from a bone yard and any other part needed to fix up your front end so its straight and safe again!!!!!.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:28 PM   #5
jnedohin-macek
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 98009
What I Drive: 2007 Black SES Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 jnedohin-macek Good Standing Member
Mine was $950 parts, paint, and labor. That was for an '07 SES front bumper though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front_Bumper.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	18725  

Old 07-19-2013, 12:39 AM   #6
starrock
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmmike1 View Post
Looks like you could screw it on. The cover is toast though. Pop out that dent and just use a drill and screws til you can get a new one. Or just take it to a shop and have them replace whatever is needed.
Haha this seems like a no brainer solution! I might give this a try. What type of screws should I use? I'm guessing that I should use kind that aren't too long and that maybe can use a nut/washer to hold them in place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey1r View Post
There's a lot more going on there then a simple bumper cover replacement, have you checked the frame rails out where the bumper reinforcement attaches??!!, i see the drivers side was welded on to and the passenger side looks to be distorted at the end of it. your drivers side headlamp is out of its proper position allowing the front grille to tilt down and your hood is sitting lower than it should be.
Id take a long hard look at your radiator support to see how badly distorted it is also. The obvious is your AC condenser had a dent in it, hope it didn't develop a leak??!!.
Looking at the "CAPA" label on the bumper cover it looks to be a replacement so most likely there's previous collision damage there also.....

Get a replacement bumper cover from a bone yard and any other part needed to fix up your front end so its straight and safe again!!!!!.
Thank you a lot! I know nothing of cars and yes unfortunately my younger sister had a fender bender in it about a year back and obviously didn't go to a good repair shop (notice that one light is clear and the other is smoky? SMH). I definitely don't know how to check out that by myself though but with your info I think my mechanic brother can figure it out. He's more of a technician than body work guy though.

Even with all of that said I am not sure what parts I would need. Obviously a bumper cover. I'm guessing the AC condenser is that bottom dent part of the radiator on the passenger side?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnedohin-macek View Post
Mine was $950 parts, paint, and labor. That was for an '07 SES front bumper though.
Thanks for the quote! At least I have an idea.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:01 AM   #7
starrock
Focus Rookie

Thanks for all the input guys. There was definately a lot more going on then a bumper cover. The previous repairs were extremely half-a**. It will now cost me $4,000 if I want to fix everything (and that's being frugral).

So I think I will reattach my shot bumper cover and I may even sell my car :( so sad to see her go but... alas... I didn't take care of her :(
Old 07-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #8
Smokey1r
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 113556
What I Drive: 2011 Flame Metalic Blue SES

FF Reputation: 2 Smokey1r Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrock View Post
Thanks for all the input guys. There was definately a lot more going on then a bumper cover. The previous repairs were extremely half-a**. It will now cost me $4,000 if I want to fix everything (and that's being frugral).

So I think I will reattach my shot bumper cover and I may even sell my car :( so sad to see her go but... alas... I didn't take care of her :(
Remember that's coming from a body repair shop, the actual parts to fix it is most likely running about 1k to 1.5k the rest is labor and profit!.
If you have the tools or know someone with tools and have access to them you could do the repairs your self, depending on the severity of the frame rail damage if any?, it could be done on the cheap with parts from a junk yard and still have safe professional results!!!
Old 07-20-2013, 05:33 PM   #9
gtferrari
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88110
What I Drive: 2008 Vista Blue SES Coupe

FF Reputation: 4 gtferrari Good Standing Member
so whats the story behind the damage? kinda looks like you kissed a guardrail

Rep Points dont add themselves

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->