need some help with ORP install - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-11-2004, 07:42 PM   #1
svtfocus2k4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 15709
What I Drive: 2004 SB SVTF 2003 DSG Cobra

FF Reputation: 1 svtfocus2k4 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
need some help with ORP install

I got my TB put on in nothing flat today but the ORP was a different story. I had trouble jacking the car up and keeping it stable. When I would get one side up the back tire would be off the ground. Needless to say, Cranking on difficult exhaust bolts wasnt what I wanted to be doing under the car with it lifted the way it was.

Tomorrow I am going to get some drive up ramps so I can have the front end lifted and stable.

Does anybody have any tips as to how to get the ORP installed in the easiest manner?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Oh and for those that may worry.......The ORP will be for off road use only once I figure out how to get it on and off easily.

B

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2004, 09:04 PM   #2
LastRites
BAD EGG

Fan#: 8452
What I Drive: 2008 Mica-Black Mazdaspeed 3 Sport

FF Reputation: 18 LastRites Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ramps are what you need here. To make it easier I suggest that you spray all of the bolts down with PB Blaster and let that work for a bit. Make sure that you have enough socket extension to reach the upper converter bracket from behind and wear gloves for when the bolt breaks loose and your hand goes spinning. The first time I did mine it took a while but now I can switch it out fairly fast. Once everything is back on test it while the car is still up to check for leaks. Most important is the PB Blaster, my bolts were new when I took them off and still damn near frozen in place.

despite what the instructions tell you the cat can be lowered fully with the O2 sensors still in. It's easier to get them out with the cat on the ground.

Be careful when you re-install the cat because it's easy to strip those weak assed bolts for the heat shield, I stripped one and now have that neat resonance at 2,000 rpm's.

A small maglite to hold in your mouth, a drop light, or even some of those gloves with a fingertip light will help to see what you are doing.

04 SVTF/5
, EAP, Pitch Black (rip)
# 908 of 1079, Born 03/16/2004
SVT SQUAD # 68
" I brake for saucy Pirate wenches"
Old 12-12-2004, 12:42 AM   #3
essveetee
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1529
What I Drive: 2006 WRX 1984 VW Scirocco

FF Reputation: 1 essveetee Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
Quote:
Originally posted by LastRites
...and wear gloves for when the bolt breaks loose and your hand goes spinning.
So true! I still have a 1" scar to show for that ordeal.

The PB Blaster is a must (WD40 is crap in comparison), and I believe I used a 9" extension and a 6" extension...its a pretty good reach....and I also recommend a good breaker bar, so try to get the car up high enough to use this to your advantage!
Old 12-12-2004, 08:09 AM   #4
svtfocus2k4
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice guys. I am headed to the parts store right now to pick up some ramps (didnt need them with my cobra or lightning) and then also get an extra extension and swivel for my 1/2" drive. I do have an impact gun so I hope that will help. I already sprayed the nuts and bolts with some teflon nut buster last night before I figured out I couldnt break anything loose with the car lifted up like it was. Hopefully here in a few hours I will be posting about how I got the ORP on.

Thanks again,

B
Old 12-12-2004, 10:16 AM   #5
essveetee
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by svtfocus2k4
Thanks for the advice guys. I am headed to the parts store right now to pick up some ramps (didnt need them with my cobra or lightning) and then also get an extra extension and swivel for my 1/2" drive. I do have an impact gun so I hope that will help. I already sprayed the nuts and bolts with some teflon nut buster last night before I figured out I couldnt break anything loose with the car lifted up like it was. Hopefully here in a few hours I will be posting about how I got the ORP on.

Thanks again,

B
Good deal, keep us posted if you have any more problems/questions.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:19 PM   #6
svtfocus2k4
Focus Enthusiast

Got it in no problems. I used an assortment of 3/8 and 1/2" drive sockets, extensions, and impact guns.

I had to use a few scraps of wood to help clear the front bumper from the ramps but after that things went smooth. It was nice having a stable place to work. A lift will be a must when putting the cat back on though. I think I could have it traded in about 30 minutes with a lift.

Again, Thanks for the advice and great help.

B

Oh. The car is LOUD!!! Not bad rolling at 3k but WOT is very loud. It pulls like mad through first and second gear now.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:52 PM   #7
baby cobra
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 16241
What I Drive: svtf02

FF Reputation: 1 baby cobra Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
damn i cant wait till xmas thats wats on my list lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...a/2c5296b1.jpg
Old 02-18-2005, 10:52 PM   #8
svtfocusmansvt
Focus Addict

Fan#: 6548
What I Drive: 04' Pitch Black SVTF ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 svtfocusmansvt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I read the instructions and it says to remove the heat shield from the cat. What is the point of this? Isn't it connected to the cat and will not be needed to install the ORP? Or is it bolted to the engine or something else?
Old 02-19-2005, 11:19 AM   #9
essveetee
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by svtfocusmansvt
I read the instructions and it says to remove the heat shield from the cat. What is the point of this? Isn't it connected to the cat and will not be needed to install the ORP? Or is it bolted to the engine or something else?
It needs to come off because it is almost impossible to remove the cat from the car with it on. It can be done, but not easily. I believe it is held on by three bolts, and they are not the easiest to get to.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:35 AM   #10
svtfocusmansvt
Focus Addict

Fan#: 6548
What I Drive: 04' Pitch Black SVTF ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 svtfocusmansvt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
K thanks, I am going to go try to do this now, we'll see how it goes.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->