Potential new focus owner, have questions - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-18-2013, 12:58 PM   #21
scott7278
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100021
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 5 scott7278 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brochado View Post
Also concerning the DCT, I agree with you, I believe that I can get used to it rather easily. I don't feel like a manual trans in Dallas traffic is a good idea, as much as I want a manual. If I lived elsewhere and my fiancee wanted to put in the effort, I'd get a manual.
If I had two cars, one would definitely be a manual. However, since I have a 6-day commute of at least 70 miles, some of it involving stop-and-go traffic, I went with an automatic for my daily driver.

I was sold on the Focus, and chose to skip the MFT due to the problems people were having on this site. I also read about the DCT issues and decided to take my chances.

Has the DCT been 100% perfect? I would be lying if I said "yes." Sometimes she drives like a beginner learning to shift, and I have to engage in some spirited driving to get her to behave again.

But would I buy her again? I can honestly say "yes." With DCT tuning from Injected Engineering around the corner (it's in Beta) so far, I'm very excited to see what the DCT can actually do.

Definitely go for a long test drive and test her at stoplights, on the highway, and stopping on hills. For all the DCT's "faults" right now, I can honestly say I still love the car!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2013, 08:53 AM   #22
brochado
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116776
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 brochado Good Standing Member
Well I didn't buy that car in the picture, I went ahead and grabbed a fully loaded titanium version in the same color. I'm not a huge fan of the wheels but I can deal :)

One question - is MPP worth it? I think I'm going to have them remove it...
Old 07-19-2013, 09:35 AM   #23
saireah
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116690
What I Drive: 2014 Platinum White Titanium HB

FF Reputation: 3 saireah Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Congratulations! That's what I'm now leaning towards, too, since I have a few more weeks to decide.

What made you pull the trigger on the Titanium? Tell me more!

I'm not familiar with MPP -- I don't think that's something that my dealer offers or I wasn't to that step yet. Some online are stating that it's a third-party vendor that handles that warranty, though. Is that correct? We have a dealer around here that offers oil changes for life if you purchase a car from them; another dealer has a $99 plan (3 oil changes, 3 tire rotations, 3 car washes) that they push, so I don't know if MPP is an option here...
Old 07-19-2013, 12:42 PM   #24
brochado
Focus Enthusiast

MPP covers oil changes and brake changes and all that for 6 yrs or 75k miles, but it is 4 thousand dollars added on..... it's like a super aftermarket warranty, but I don't think it's worth it, the small amount of peace of mind does not outweigh the large cost to me.

I got the titanium cause it was fully loaded and only about 2k higher than the SE I was looking at, which was a mid model, not a lot of fancies.

I know it's just more to break and I'll probably end up cursing myself in 5-8 years when I have to replace some computer or something that costs 50,000 dollars, but carpe diem and such.

I did have a problem with the financing which I have to go back and see about fixing, somehow the dealership bought out the loan and set me to 1.9 financing in order to pay for the MPP plan, yet he tells me today if I take MPP off I will be set back to my original financing (I wasn't approved for 1.9 originally because apparently my last TWO vehicles were listed strictly as my dad's name, I was no where on the note, so I didn't get credit and thus I am technically a "first time buyer" even though I've had 6 cars total, but most were cash, no loans) and if I do that my payment will be the same. The problem for me is that before the finance guy took over, it was 370 or something per month at 66 months, now it's 450 at 72 months with the MPP thing on, but he says if I take it off it'll stay that much......grr. There's some kind of math going wrong here. Basically I just want him to put it back exactly like the sales guy had it, before he touched it. I just think he's trying to keep his commission but MPP says I have 30 days to cancel as long as I don't put a claim on it.

Other than that I am happy. Sync is pretty laggy and it actually stopped working (the voice part) the last few miles till I got home, but I turned it off and on and it started working again, and it was fine this morning. Not sure what that was about.

The transmission is no issue at all, in fact I kind of like how aggressive it is.

The only thing I'd change about the car so far is the wheels, they are the one with like 20 spokes, not my favorite but it will do till I can get some new ones, probably in a couple years when I need new tires.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #25
sanford12
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116365
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 sanford12 Good Standing Member
Go with a credit Union if you can. The dealer is jacking you around. It's always better to be preapproved for the amount you think you might need from your bank or credit Union. It gives the dealer much less of a chance to baffle you with bullsh#t. That 4000.00 dollar package is the worst piece of trash I've ever heard of a dealer trying to pass off on a customer. My Credit union has 1.89 for 66 months and that was for a used 2012. You can do better. Get your own financing. You'll be happier in the long run.
2005 Ford 500, 2006 Freestyle, 2012 Focus Titanium pearl white
Old 07-20-2013, 04:14 PM   #26
brochado
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanford12 View Post
Go with a credit Union if you can. The dealer is jacking you around. It's always better to be preapproved for the amount you think you might need from your bank or credit Union. It gives the dealer much less of a chance to baffle you with bullsh#t. That 4000.00 dollar package is the worst piece of trash I've ever heard of a dealer trying to pass off on a customer. My Credit union has 1.89 for 66 months and that was for a used 2012. You can do better. Get your own financing. You'll be happier in the long run.
Well it turned out differently than I explained it, here's the story.

This will be my 3rd vehicle that I have financed. I had 2 more before that, but they were paid in cash. Unfortunately the dealer that I bought both from (they were kind of family friends) put my father's name as the main signature on the loan and I ended up never getting any credit for either one. So now I'm still a "first time buyer" even though I've had several cars in the past. I called around and the best interest I could do was 5.49 at a credit union because I was technically a first time buyer. Sucks for me.. but the finance guy in the back worked it out with in-house financing and they agreed to give me 1.9 financing if I bought MPP. Basically what this does is instead of paying roughly 4500 dollars to the bank in interest, I pay them around 1400 or so now. I paid 3800ish for the MPP thing. So total I'm paying 5200, or 700ish above what I would have paid before. Since this covers oil changes for the next 6 years, It actually ends up saving me about 700-800 dollars, even if I didn't break anything else on the car. Dealer gets more money, bank gets less, and it turns out about the same for me.

So yeah, the dealer may have been able to work with me more on the interest rate without having to buy MPP but overall I'm happy with the outcome. Like I said,I checked several banks and CUs and was not getting good rates because of both me and my fiancee being first time buyers (her dad bought her car, which she still has). So I would have been out that amount of money anyway, but now it goes towards something that will save me a few bucks in oil changes, which is nice.

So in the end I'm happy overall.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #27
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 8 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by brochado View Post
The more I look into MFT, the less I really want it. Part of me (the dumb "ooh shiney!" consumer part of me) is begging for a big touch screen but the other side of me feels like it's just not worth the hassle and I'll like the standard SE version better.
What hassle?
Mine (with nav) works great day in and day out with only minor quirks.
I wouldn't hesitate for a second to get it again.
I'm also surprised that the (substantial) difference in sound quality doesn't seem to factor into your decision.

It's best to ignore comments from those without first hand experience.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #28
brochado
Focus Enthusiast

I did get MFT with sony, and it does sound awesome, even over bluetooth (sucks that applink doesn't work with MFT yet, but streaming pandora over bluetooth still sounds great, still has good bass and all that)
Old 07-20-2013, 07:04 PM   #29
sanford12
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116365
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 sanford12 Good Standing Member
Good. I'm glad you worked it out. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine and the Sony stereo is awesome. I ripped all my favorite CD's to 320mp3's and it sounds better than the CD player which really isn't very good. The mp3's in the Focus sound better than CD's through the Monsoon sound system in the Passat I had.
2005 Ford 500, 2006 Freestyle, 2012 Focus Titanium pearl white

Last edited by sanford12; 07-21-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #30
brochado
Focus Enthusiast

Yeah it's not quite as good as the shaker system in dad's GT but it's aight :D

Bookmarks & Social Networks