Potential new focus owner, have questions - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-15-2013, 11:55 PM   #1
brochado
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116776
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray Ti Sedan

Points 412, Level 8
Points: 412, Level: 8 Points: 412, Level: 8 Points: 412, Level: 8
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 brochado Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Potential new focus owner, have questions

Hi there,

We've been looking to get a new car under 20k and all signs point to the focus.

I have been searching forum threads and dealer sites all day, but I still have some cloudy concerns.

I've narrowed down my options, I want a 201a package (mostly for the wheels, don't care much about the other stuff) and I want MFT, and I want "sterling gray" (the darker gray). Currently we've found 2 that have the 201 pkg in sterling gray but no MFT.

Is MFT only available in the titanium models? Are the wheels in the 201a package for sale anywhere?

I live in Dallas. I have a 16 mile commute which usually takes around 40 mins to an hour each way, bumper to bumper for 90% of it. Will DCT make me rage or do people make a bigger deal about it than it really is? I have driven one focus as a rental and the trans did kind of feel funny but I just chalked it up to being a rental.

The rental I had did not have MFT. Is MFT overhyped or is it worth trying to find? I have seen that it can be sluggish to respond, but that was in older models. This would be a 2013 model, have things improved?

Is sync applink available on non-MFT vehicles?

Thanks for reading, I'm sure I will have other questions soon...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
Borski
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100013
What I Drive: 2012 Focus - Black - SE

Points 1,260, Level 19
Points: 1,260, Level: 19 Points: 1,260, Level: 19 Points: 1,260, Level: 19
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Borski Good Standing Member
I haven't heard anything good about the new MFT, most people still hate it as far as I can tell...

You can get Sync without MFT.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:14 PM   #3
matmatician
Cars&Corgis

Fan#: 81361
What I Drive: A ONE COLOR FOCUS, Ducatis

Points 7,161, Level 56
Points: 7,161, Level: 56 Points: 7,161, Level: 56 Points: 7,161, Level: 56
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 4 matmatician Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I don't own a DCT, but from all the feedback I've seen, you will most likely want a manual transmission if you can drive them. I know that I would be hard pressed to buy a DCT.
ROTM June '13, PNW Crew #42, SR #245, Rally Rev #02
Old 07-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #4
saireah
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116690
What I Drive: 2014 Platinum White Titanium HB

Points 600, Level 11
Points: 600, Level: 11 Points: 600, Level: 11 Points: 600, Level: 11
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 3 saireah Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by brochado View Post
Hi there,

We've been looking to get a new car under 20k and all signs point to the focus.

I have been searching forum threads and dealer sites all day, but I still have some cloudy concerns.

I've narrowed down my options, I want a 201a package (mostly for the wheels, don't care much about the other stuff) and I want MFT, and I want "sterling gray" (the darker gray). Currently we've found 2 that have the 201 pkg in sterling gray but no MFT.

Is MFT only available in the titanium models? Are the wheels in the 201a package for sale anywhere?

I live in Dallas. I have a 16 mile commute which usually takes around 40 mins to an hour each way, bumper to bumper for 90% of it. Will DCT make me rage or do people make a bigger deal about it than it really is? I have driven one focus as a rental and the trans did kind of feel funny but I just chalked it up to being a rental.

The rental I had did not have MFT. Is MFT overhyped or is it worth trying to find? I have seen that it can be sluggish to respond, but that was in older models. This would be a 2013 model, have things improved?

Is sync applink available on non-MFT vehicles?

Thanks for reading, I'm sure I will have other questions soon...
As someone who is shopping for a Focus myself -- yes, MFT is only available on the Titanium models. I decided against MFT as I've seen my boyfriend's parents, who purchased a snazzy fully-loaded 2013 Explorer, have issues with their MFT -- mainly the navigation system. It's just something you need to weigh as whether or not it's worth the $2,000/etc that the Titanium is in comparison to the SE. I personally find it a little annoying to use and it's not high on the list for me. It doesn't seem overly-responsive.

I decided that I'm going to get a rearview monitor that you can install yourself (so a little image shows up on your rearview mirror). This will help me a lot and it's one of the reasons I wanted the Titanium.

If you do end up going with the Titanium, pay attention to whether or not it has all-season tires or summer-only wheels. There's an extra package that has summer-only wheels.

I've read a lot about the problems with DCT and can confirm that it can be a bit jerky. The car that I am looking at only has 24 miles on it, though, and I have heard that it gets smoother as you drive it more. I think that it's something that you will adapt to, but if you feel as if it could become a nuisance to you, you might not want to consider it. I feel as if I could personally get used to it.

You can find a list of wheel accessories here -- I think this is what you're looking for:
http://accessories.ford.com/wheels.html

Here's a great thread on the differences between Sync (SE models) and Sync w/ MFT:
http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums...ed-navigation/

Ford's SYNC site has a lot of stuff, too:
http://support.ford.com/topics/sync-technology

Official features menu -- I hadn't seen this before:
http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/feature-matrix
Old 07-16-2013, 03:19 PM   #5
saireah
Focus Enthusiast

Points 600, Level 11
Level Up 50% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
And now I have a question from what you asked! :) SYNC has a 3 year trial. Are you responsible for cancelling it BEFORE they bill you in any way or will they notify you that it's about to expire?
Old 07-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
brochado
Focus Enthusiast

Points 412, Level 8
Level Up 24% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Gorgeous information, thank you everyone.

saireah you have literally mirrored all of my thoughts that I've been having this morning and late last night. The more I look into MFT, the less I really want it. Part of me (the dumb "ooh shiney!" consumer part of me) is begging for a big touch screen but the other side of me feels like it's just not worth the hassle and I'll like the standard SE version better.

Also concerning the DCT, I agree with you, I believe that I can get used to it rather easily. I don't feel like a manual trans in Dallas traffic is a good idea, as much as I want a manual. If I lived elsewhere and my fiancee wanted to put in the effort, I'd get a manual.

the first car we found is still at the tip top of my list. I'm still going to test drive a mazda 3 and a couple of others but I'm almost certain I'll go with the focus.

One last question, does anyone know anything about future incentives? Is there a way to know? Right now ford matches your 1000 dollar down payment and they also give you 1.9% financing on 60 month terms, as well as another 500-1000 off for college students (my fiancee is in college, but I think I'll be the main name on the car, not sure how that's going to go). Does anyone know if I should hold out for other incentives or are they usually about the same?

Here's the one we're thinking of getting. Lookin' good IMO

(if I did go with the non-titanium version I'd have to find a guide or something to mimic those sweet headlights)
Old 07-16-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
saireah
Focus Enthusiast

Points 600, Level 11
Level Up 50% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
The great thing about the SE DCT is that it has the “Sport” option (maybe that’s part of 201A, actually) – so there’s an “S” on your shifter that allows you to get the thrill of the sensation of shifting. It literally lets you shift like you’re driving a manual. I don’t know how to drive a stick and I never will, but it sounds like a great feature that you might really like.

SE 201A also has Flex Fuel, too. This could be on all SEs. You’re just looking at the same car as me (except I’m all about Tuxedo Black!), so it’s on your car, too. Basically, the dealer told me that if the Flex Fuel (normally has a yellow handle at the pump and there’s only one – and it’s not at all fuel stations) is 60 cents cheaper than regular fuel, do it. It will be better for you economically. However, if there’s not that big of difference, it’s not going to pan out well and will essentially be a bit of a waste of money. Make sense? This was very new to me, but I live in Iowa… land of corn fuel, so this might be a great feature at some point. It gives us the option of using this fuel if there’s ever a fuel shortage in the future. Good thinking on Ford’s part.

I watched a few videos on the Mazda3 vs. the Focus. From what I gather, the Focus has its interior and exterior going for it. The Mazda3 has “cheap plastic” inside. However, they said that the Mazda3 is a bit faster and handles better. In a 0-60 test, the Mazda3 was a few seconds faster. Focus was nearly 12 seconds and the Mazda3 was in 10. I’m not considering the Mazda3 because the front-end is too long for me – it looks a bit wagon-like (not to talk you out of it at all!). That, and it looks so similar to my current Nissan Versa… and I definitely don't want to be reminded of that garbage car.

I don’t think they’ll give you the student discount since it’s your fiancÚ, not you. I wouldn’t bet on that. At my dealership, there’s a $2,000 rebate right now. There’s $500 extra dollars if you use Ford Credit for the first four months and then refinance. I’d strongly recommend that you ask for a credit union loan (this is what I’m doing) as I bet, depending on what you’re putting down and your credit, it will be better than Ford Credit by a mile and also surpass any rebate (i.e. the $500 like mine).

Tip: watch for an “Identity Theft Protection” charge on your invoice, if you do go with Ford. I will be asking that they remove that from my current quote (see my thread in this forum for further details).

Hope this helps further! I spent all weekend obsessively watching videos and reading blogs.

The dark gray looks awesome! It made me pause for a moment and slightly rethink my decision. Very nice looking. I’m going with a big-butt hatchback, though. :)
Old 07-16-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
brochado
Focus Enthusiast

Points 412, Level 8
Level Up 24% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
I've been doing the same thing. If my boss knew I was wasting all day looking at blogs and vlogs and tests and comparisons, he'd have my ass on a stake haha.

I will definitely look out for that and I am headed over to your thread right now to read more. Thanks again.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:01 PM   #9
Cory81
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116801
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling gray SE sport

FF Reputation: 1 Cory81 Good Standing Member
Looks nice. I have a '12 se sport sterling gray and its a great car. Currently getting 36mpg average in summer. Hard to beat and I drive rather inefficiently...
Old 07-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #10
Cory81
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116801
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling gray SE sport

FF Reputation: 1 Cory81 Good Standing Member
Pretty sure it's quicker than 12 seconds 0-60. Not sure where you got that

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.