Vehicle will not stay running unless I give it gas.. - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #41
Marde
Focus Addict

Fan#: 115991
What I Drive: 2004 ZTW PZEV 2.3 ATX

Points 1,336, Level 20
Points: 1,336, Level: 20 Points: 1,336, Level: 20 Points: 1,336, Level: 20
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 35%
Activity: 35% Activity: 35% Activity: 35%
FF Reputation: 9 Marde Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Sorry I have not read very much of this thread, but I wanted to share a Focus problem I had, and it was almost exactly like yours (the one you posted about on page 4, not the OP). This problem popped up right after I bought my first Focus about 4 months ago.

Idle was ok in Park, but sometimes too high in Drive (not always). Because of the high idle, it would not downshift fast enough when coming to a stop.

The high idle resulted in an undesired cruise control effect; I could cruise about 30 mph without touching the gas pedal.

While accelerating and going from full stop to about 45mph, the car had an un-commanded RPM jump! I immediately switched from Drive to Neutral and the RPMs went even higher! In a split-second panic, I punched the throttle pedal all the way to the floor, and the RPM came back to normal. <yeah, it scared me> dropped it back to Drive and all was good for this trip.

After learning about this type of problem here at Focus Fanatics, I removed my Idle Air Control Valve (IACV). While looking very carefully at the plunger inside the IACV, I found a very small piece of rubber debris that was pinched between the plunger seal and the IACV body. When I found it, I thought NO WAY this tiny thing is my problem!!??!! At the same time I was happy thinking the debris COULD BE IT!!??!!

I removed the debris and problem was gone! I was really happy to get that crazy idle problem fixed without having to buy parts. Removing the IACV on my Duratec engine was very easy.

Last edited by Marde; 07-27-2013 at 12:02 AM. Reason: adding more lies -or- trying to help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #42
my_beautious_ZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32386
What I Drive: 2002 charcoal XZ3

Points 1,267, Level 19
Points: 1,267, Level: 19 Points: 1,267, Level: 19 Points: 1,267, Level: 19
Level Up 67% Completed
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 my_beautious_ZX3 Good Standing Member
Good catch! Alot of folks aren't so lucky and must fork over $$ for a new IAC.

Because the IAC is so prone to muck, it's always a good idea to thoroughly clean it any time it is removed - saves a headache later.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:52 PM   #43
shananigans89
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84576
What I Drive: 04 red 3dr SVT, 04 mazda 3, 04 R6

FF Reputation: 1 shananigans89 Good Standing Member
my friend had an 01 honda accord that did the same thing as OP's problem. he bought an, i guess the honda equivalent of, idle air control valve. i helped him replace it and that solved his problem.
K&N Typhoon SRI, Magstar 8.5mm plug wires, Denzo Iridium plugs, all VF Eng poly motor mounts, 2.5" Dominant Eng HFC & flex pipe, Trubendz 2.5" exhst w/ Borla muffler no resonator, SCT Xcal3 with Tom's Tune, CFM 67mm TB
Old 07-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #44
Dmusick
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 116735
What I Drive: 2001 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Dmusick Good Standing Member
Changed the solenoid "A" in trans... Car still shifts rough from 1st to 2nd, and took ICV off and checked for derby or any othe gunk, (it's a brand new ICV) cleaned it anyways. Took EGR valve off and cleaned that as well. Car will idle perfectly, but soon as put into gear and barely step on gas it goes to almost 2000rpm. You have to make car come back to a complete stop for the idle to drop back down, then it'll rev from 500-1000 back and forth. Soon as I shut AC off, the idle settles and smoothes itself back out. Getting very frustrated and confused.. Ive noticed that the cable next to the throttle cable that goes to the pedel is not tight it has like a 1/4 in play in it. its like the throttle or whatever that goes too is not closing all the way. i think its the kick shift or downshift cable not sure.... and now The check engine light is back on PO122 low voltage TPS.... I don't understand how is it the stupid TPS if its a BRAND NEW motor craft Dealer part??
Old 07-30-2013, 09:24 PM   #45
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 2,929, Level 33
Points: 2,929, Level: 33 Points: 2,929, Level: 33 Points: 2,929, Level: 33
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 48%
Activity: 48% Activity: 48% Activity: 48%
FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Tried to tell you, but you insist on doing it your way. Wasting your time on other cable, for cruise and supposed to be loose.

Good luck, you'll need it.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:17 PM   #46
Dmusick
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Amc49 thank you for your help. I'm not trying it my way, I actually have no clue now what I'm doing?? I went back to reading all your post again, I'm going to attempt what you did with the manual TPS. Because obviously nothing I have done so far has done a dang thing. I know I know YOU ALREADY TOLD ME... I'm felling very confused. I'm going in morning to return this motorcraft Automatic TPS $48, and get the otheryou told me about 40 or so post ago. I just thought by replaceing the whole thing, like the stealership wants me too it would have worked. But I should have just listened to you since you had the same issues as me.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:45 PM   #47
Dmusick
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Do you th
Old 07-30-2013, 10:54 PM   #48
Dmusick
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Do you think it's possible to do your ninja skill method on this ATX TPS I already have?
Old 07-31-2013, 02:36 AM   #49
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 2,929, Level 33
Points: 2,929, Level: 33 Points: 2,929, Level: 33 Points: 2,929, Level: 33
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 48%
Activity: 48% Activity: 48% Activity: 48%
FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Yes, if done correctly and you haven't screwed it up previously. That would happen mounting it tight in the wrong spot. Again WHAT EXACT throttle body are you using, still the one out of the junkyard for a 2001? Have you had to cut your TPS connector and replace it with the later one??

I used a manual TPS and it still works perfectly. It MUST be set right though, using voltmeter .90 volt at throttle dead closed idle stop, and 4.5 volts plus at wide open throttle. You MUST be under 1.0 volt at idle. The code will set if you get below around .5 volt idle. The idle volt is more important than the full throttle volts.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:42 AM   #50
Dmusick
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Yes same Tb from junk yard. And yes I cut the plug.. I still have all my old parts, should I go ahead and just reinstall my original TB. Thank you

Bookmarks & Social Networks