stuttering after timing belt change!?!? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #1
kyle9563
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 102046
What I Drive: 2000 Silver ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 kyle9563 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
stuttering after timing belt change!?!?

So i just changed my timing belt, tensioner, and idler pully with the help of a buddy of mine and after putting it all back together something isnt right . At idle the engine kind of stutters and has a somewhat rough idle. We tried driving it, and at low rpm and pushing the gas pedal hard (at any rpm or gear), the car shutters and shakes, and it loses and gains power very rapidly like its trying to go but it cant. We thought that maybe we were off a tooth or two on the timing gears but after doing it again correctly for sure by using the special tools and an instruction pdf file from Ford on how to change the timing belt it still is having the same problem. The stuttering and shaking is the worst when accelorating from a stop but is present in every gear. I replaced the the fuel filter a few thousand miles ago so i hope that isnt an issue and my car isnt throwing any codes either. ive done a bit of research and heard things like vacuum problems to problems with the plugs, wires, and the ignition coil. Im really at a loss here and spent the last full two days working on the car trying to figure out whats wrong. Any help or suggestions would really be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Recheck the spark plug wires.
I'll bet one is either not connected to the spark plug or the wire is damaged.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
kyle9563
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

We checked the gaps on the spark plugs they were correct. Then with the car running we pulled each wire boot individually to see if one wasn't working but they all seemed to be working based off of how the sound changed and how the boots arced to the block so we know the power is making it through the wires
Old 07-14-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
duc450
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10651
What I Drive: 2004 Ford Focus SVT CD Silver

FF Reputation: 4 duc450 Good Standing Member
I agree with iminhell. Check the wires to make sure they are securely attached to the plugs. You can check the wires for resistance, another way is to find a completely dark area (garage with door almost all the way down, feed exhaust through tube to the outside) if you see little sparks going from the wires to ANYTHING metal that means you are losing precious electricity to the plugs.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:25 AM   #5
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
X3, your plug wire checking method is straight out of the stone age and totally irrelevant. Meaning you can have bad wires and that will not show a thing. Idle does not load ignition like true work higher up does.

Think it out, if car didn't do it before, then you caused it, gotta get your head around that. Plug wires often get pulled in two internally on these at maintenance time. A VOM check of wires will show that instantly and regardless of how pretty the wires look.

Make sure also that someone didn't crack coil wires at the connector-very common on these. Might've brushed against it or other even though didn't directly touch it.

Cam(s) being off shouldn't stutter, just run like crap, no power. Sure you got wires back in order on coil?
Old 07-15-2013, 12:32 AM   #6
kyle9563
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

The wires never came off the coil just the spark plug so they should still be in the same order. Would any of you guys suggest just getting new wires and save the trouble of testing all of them? Also to kind of add to my first post it's hard to describe but it almost seems like the engine is starving for fuel. So could it maybe be a problem in the fuel lines or maybe an injector went bad?
Old 07-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #7
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
If you didn't mess with the injectors, I wouldn't think they'd be an issue. Ran fine before so it'd seem odd they'd act up right after the T-Belt.

Plug wires are cheap, $30 and you have a good new set.

I might be completely wrong but that's the one thing that stands out and has to be removed to do the belt. Really isn't anything else electrical or mechanical that has to be removed to do the job. So the list of possibles is very small.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #8
kyle9563
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I have another question. So when i went to Oreilly's to use their code reader nothing came up which i found odd and the guy working there suggested that i go to this guy that has a different type of scanner that doesnt read like the one at Oreilly's. The engine has to be running and it monitors what eveything is doing instead of reading error codes or whatever Oreilly's did. Does this sound familiar at all to anyone?
Old 07-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #9
StayinFocus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 113867
What I Drive: 02 ZTS 03 ZX3 Both Metallic Blue!

FF Reputation: 1 StayinFocus Good Standing Member
If your going to change out your wires might as well put in a new set of plugs. That will eliminate 2 possible sources of trouble. When I did my timing belt the car ran noticeably better, pretty sure you caused this somehow.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #10
kyle9563
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Im sure i caused whatever the problem is because it was running fine before i changed the belt. The problem is figuring out what the problem is. Ill probably change the wires anyway. Right now I have Belden premium 8mm wires that were there when I got the car. Are these any good to begin with? Because Ive never even heard of that brand. I have also changed the spark plugs within the last 5k miles with motorcraft ones that still look to be in good shape so i dont think the plugs are the problem.

Bookmarks & Social Networks