Thoughts on certain power mods - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
Pvtjoker53
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116676
What I Drive: 2002 green ford focus se

FF Reputation: 1 Pvtjoker53 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thoughts on certain power mods

Any thoughts on installing a power module and a power programmer? Has anyone done this combination so i could maybe see what im looking at in power gains.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Fan#: 1986
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
What exactly are you looking at? like an SCT style performance chip, or something else?

IIRC, there was little to no hp increase with just a chip on a stock SPI. If you can still find them, some chips changed the automatic shift points which improved acceleration, and removed the governor. I don't think they are still being manufactured, so make 100% sure you are looking at something for the SPI, not the zetec or other focus motors.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
Pvtjoker53
Focus Enthusiast

Idk if it was for the spi but it was the sct model that comes with the monitor and the module was a venom 1000
Old 07-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Looking at the SCT chips looks like nothing has changed. I doubt you will see any gains on a stock motor, except auto tranny shift points and governor.

is this the venom product you are looking at?: (it was the only venom 1000 product I could find.
http://www.venom-performance.com/cat...ontent=vcn1000
Old 07-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #5
Pvtjoker53
Focus Enthusiast

Sorry i think its the venom 400 http://www.venom-performance.com/ind...content=vcn400 heres the link for the one i found
Old 07-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

I don't have any personal experience with this product, but to me it seems like a too good to be true offer.

they are claiming a 25% increase in HP for a few hundred bucks, all by simply changing the signals from the TPS and MAF.... IF 25% more HP was that easy and cheap, this would be on every car on here.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #7
Pvtjoker53
Focus Enthusiast

Well k&n cold air intakes say 7-15% horspower increase and yet everyone says otherwise so idk and the same goes for exhaust systems they claims to do more and others say they dnt either
Old 07-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #8
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Basically, I am weary of any manufacturer's claimed HP gains. There is no way you are getting 7 - 15 added HP from a CAI or exhaust....

Let's do some math. 15 HP for a CAI, 15 HP for exhaust, 25 HP for the venom 400 adds up to a total of 55 HP from 3 bolt on mods.

If you buy that, I have some ocean front property in Arizona for sale. I think you would be lucky to get 5 hp out of all three mods.

Now, I am not saying don't mod your car. by all means, please do. CAI and exhaust is a great place to start. Just take everything a manufacturer says with a grain of salt. (or, more appropriately with complete distrust)

Good luck!
Old 07-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #9
Pvtjoker53
Focus Enthusiast

I dnt see how opening up ur exhaust and removing the stock cat and header gets u less then 5 horsepower
Old 07-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #10
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

If you are talking a full exhaust system, from header back, you will probably see 5 hp, maybe a bit more. When you said exhaust in this post, I assumed you meant cat-back exhaust, which is a pretty standard mod. (I had not yet seen your post asking about hi-flow cats.)

One thing you have to remember, is that we are dealing with an engine rated at 110 HP (new). A 5 HP increase is a 5% increase, which percentage wise, is not an insignificant gain.

Bookmarks & Social Networks