Considering 2013 Focus SE Hatchback (with 201A) - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #11
saireah
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116690
What I Drive: 2014 Platinum White Titanium HB

Points 600, Level 11
Points: 600, Level: 11 Points: 600, Level: 11 Points: 600, Level: 11
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 saireah Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HocusSE_tukin20s View Post
yup exact one.. helps at toll boths too!!
Excellent! Thank you! I feel more confident buying them now knowing that they fit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #12
brachiopod9898
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 64886
What I Drive: 2013 Black-Pack Hatch (and a 2005)

FF Reputation: 3 brachiopod9898 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have that same package. The SE with black-pack was hard to find without a sunroof.
I would recommend painting the calipers black... I found mine to look a bit silly with the shiny metal bits peeking through the black wheels.

Sheep
Old 07-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #13
saireah
Focus Enthusiast

Points 600, Level 11
Level Up 50% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by brachiopod9898 View Post
I have that same package. The SE with black-pack was hard to find without a sunroof.
I would recommend painting the calipers black... I found mine to look a bit silly with the shiny metal bits peeking through the black wheels.

Sheep
Good idea! I didn't consider that. I found a nice guide here. Did you have success with a specific brand of paint?

Also, can I ask if you use a license plate cover too? Would love to see what you put on your license plates for an idea.

Did you do anything else with the tint? Was slightly concerned the leather would get too hot, but I know the back windows are tinted (in Iowa, you can't tint the front sides).
Old 07-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #14
brachiopod9898
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 64886
What I Drive: 2013 Black-Pack Hatch (and a 2005)

FF Reputation: 3 brachiopod9898 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by saireah View Post
Good idea! I didn't consider that. I found a nice guide here. Did you have success with a specific brand of paint?

Also, can I ask if you use a license plate cover too? Would love to see what you put on your license plates for an idea.

Did you do anything else with the tint? Was slightly concerned the leather would get too hot, but I know the back windows are tinted (in Iowa, you can't tint the front sides).
Calipers: Rattle-can of high temp satin finish from the home center. Sprayed a few weeks ago. Have not driven it yet. I do not know if the finish is affected by a good heat soak yet; doubt I will see a difference.

License plate cover, none.

Window tint: factory. The car is always parked under cover.

Sheep
Old 07-14-2013, 12:42 PM   #15
saireah
Focus Enthusiast

Points 600, Level 11
Level Up 50% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by brachiopod9898 View Post
Calipers: Rattle-can of high temp satin finish from the home center. Sprayed a few weeks ago. Have not driven it yet. I do not know if the finish is affected by a good heat soak yet; doubt I will see a difference.

License plate cover, none.

Window tint: factory. The car is always parked under cover.

Sheep
If you don't mind me asking, do you think $22,605.05 total cash price is a fair deal for your car? This does not include oil changes for life, etc, nor does it include any extra warranties or packages. I'm doubtful that I'll go with any protection packages or extra warranties, though. Not asking you to share what you paid, but it's great to talk to someone with the same package before I buy -- does this seem like a fair deal to you? They wouldn't go any lower than $20,722 (I first asked for $20,000 and then $20,622) prior to fees/taxes. They said they can't go any lower due to the invoice price (which was $23,000-something). Hope you don't mind. Thank you!
Old 07-15-2013, 10:37 PM   #16
TheBigMortboski
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115429
What I Drive: Kenworth T-800

FF Reputation: 0 TheBigMortboski Newbie
Mine is the exact same as the one you pictured, except with Blue Candy paint (add $395) and a manual transmission (subtract $1000), so mine stickered at $24,605, I think. After D-Plan pricing and $3250 in rebates, it was roughly $18,900 before tax and license.

The price the dealer pays for the car is invoice minus the holdback. Sometimes a dealer will show you what the holdback was, sometimes they won't, but its about $650. That means, if they sell it to you at invoice, they're profit margin is 2.95%. My wife and I own a store, and if we had that margin, we'd be out of business in a week, so in my mind, its more than fair. Profit margins on small cars like Focuses are razor thin, so that's normal.

ID theft protection? Ask them to explain what that is, and if they don't have a REALLY good story, have it removed. I've been around car dealers for a long time, and I've never heard of that. Besides, ID theft protection is required by law anyway.

I used to sell those protection packages, and the profit margin is obscene. It basically amounts to a wax, an interior shine, Scotchguard, and an undercoat. I'd do the undercoat if they salt the roads in Ioway, but none of the other stuff. DIY it, and save yourself hundreds of dollars.

That invoice price of $23-something seems high. You can find that online to make sure that's really what is going on, or did you mean the sticker price?
Old 07-16-2013, 12:13 AM   #17
goinloco1
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 8529
What I Drive: kermit

Points 14,608, Level 78
Points: 14,608, Level: 78 Points: 14,608, Level: 78 Points: 14,608, Level: 78
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 90 goinloco1 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Check with local banks before signing anything with ford credit, you may find yourself in far better shape.
Trust me... I could go into the whole story, but I won't. Suffice it to say ford credit can KMA
Old 07-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #18
saireah
Focus Enthusiast

Points 600, Level 11
Level Up 50% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigMortboski View Post
Mine is the exact same as the one you pictured, except with Blue Candy paint (add $395) and a manual transmission (subtract $1000), so mine stickered at $24,605, I think. After D-Plan pricing and $3250 in rebates, it was roughly $18,900 before tax and license.

The price the dealer pays for the car is invoice minus the holdback. Sometimes a dealer will show you what the holdback was, sometimes they won't, but its about $650. That means, if they sell it to you at invoice, they're profit margin is 2.95%. My wife and I own a store, and if we had that margin, we'd be out of business in a week, so in my mind, its more than fair. Profit margins on small cars like Focuses are razor thin, so that's normal.

ID theft protection? Ask them to explain what that is, and if they don't have a REALLY good story, have it removed. I've been around car dealers for a long time, and I've never heard of that. Besides, ID theft protection is required by law anyway.

I used to sell those protection packages, and the profit margin is obscene. It basically amounts to a wax, an interior shine, Scotchguard, and an undercoat. I'd do the undercoat if they salt the roads in Ioway, but none of the other stuff. DIY it, and save yourself hundreds of dollars.

That invoice price of $23-something seems high. You can find that online to make sure that's really what is going on, or did you mean the sticker price?
According to my salesperson who responded to my e-mail, Identity Theft Protection is:

The identity theft protection is something you can speak more with finance about. There are a set of numbers etched on every panel of glass on the car and if your vehicle is ever stolen you would report this the the agency and they would help you recover your car. If it's not recovered, they give you $3500 to help replace the car. This usually covers any inequity or down payment on a new loan. This company also offers identity theft protection for 5 years for every person who lives with you. The business manager can explain it a bit more in detail, but that's the quick rundown.

I have something similar to this in my auto insurance -- I checked yesterday. I am definitely not paying for this; I know I declined it with my Nissan. If they insist that I need to pay because it's mandatory (i.e. because it helps dealers with lot theft), it will be a deal breaker.

And he did give me an invoice price of $23K-something (I don't remember exactly what it was). My sticker is $24,720. So, I guess I feel like $20,722 for the car is a good deal before tax and license, but I sure wish they'd have taken $20,000 even. I am putting quite a hefty down payment down. $2,0722 is roughly what my Nissan Versa was with tax and license. I shouldn't feel like I'm going backwards, though, because I'm getting into a better car without the HORRID customer service from my dealership and Corporate (ahem, rant).

I am going to skip everything else, but am contemplating the undercoat/rust protection like you said. I'm going to look at the fine print in great detail, though. There's a "lifetime warranty" on it, but I want to make sure it amounts to what it would going to a different shop (and I also want to make sure that wouldn't void the warranty to any degree). The Rustproof/Undercoat package is $495.

Thanks so much for your feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinloco1 View Post
Check with local banks before signing anything with ford credit, you may find yourself in far better shape.
Trust me... I could go into the whole story, but I won't. Suffice it to say ford credit can KMA
I actually went and signed up at a local credit union last night for a joint checking account (something I wanted to do anyway) and I think I can get a fabulous loan with them. Good thinking! On it. Ford Credit seemed a waste and I dislike that they'll only give me $2,500 off if I use Ford Credit for the first four months. Otherwise, it's only $2,000 off, but I think it'll end up being better to use the other credit agency over Ford regardless.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #19
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

Points 4,098, Level 40
Points: 4,098, Level: 40 Points: 4,098, Level: 40 Points: 4,098, Level: 40
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
For the calipers I recommend the Dupi-color caliper kit which is a brush-on paint so no need to spend all that time taping up the calipers to spray them. If you go this route DO NOT use the supplied brush (it's crap) and buy a better smaller one so you have better control where the paint goes. Buy some caliper cleaner too and do several solid coats and you should get a trouble-free finish.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:30 AM   #20
mtnbkr
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 116275
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Hatchback 5sp

Points 195, Level 3
Points: 195, Level: 3 Points: 195, Level: 3 Points: 195, Level: 3
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 mtnbkr Good Standing Member
I recently bought a 2013 SE HB 5spd with 201A and Winter package as well. I love that little car and drive it 50+ miles per day (commute and errands).

Chris

Last edited by mtnbkr; 07-16-2013 at 03:15 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks