Considering 2013 Focus SE Hatchback (with 201A) - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
saireah
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116690
What I Drive: 2014 Platinum White Titanium HB

Points 600, Level 11
Points: 600, Level: 11 Points: 600, Level: 11 Points: 600, Level: 11
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 saireah Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Considering 2013 Focus SE Hatchback (with 201A)

Hello!

For a year now, I've had my Nissan Versa 1.8SL Hatchback serviced at my local ford dealer due to being frustrated with our local Nissan dealership. I had heard great recommendations and they had a fabulous oil change package deal. In addition, I watched someone who was having issues with their Ford being cared for by a service person. In all my time with my Nissan (my ever new car and car purchase in general), I was never treated that way. I was impressed.

Now that Nissan Corporate has agreed that my car is a lemon (2 years, 16 trips to dealership, haven't been in my car in a month -- it's been an absolute nightmare), I'm at the final step and have accepted the buyout. I'll discuss details with Nissan next week. I was originally considering getting back into a 2014 Versa Note, but I can't stomach dealing with our nearby dealership any longer after another incident this weekend when I went to pick up a few things out of my car.

Anyway! Onto the good stuff -- just wanted to provide a little background information as I'm now nervous about purchasing my next car. Lemons are bad luck, but I want to be well-informed.

I'm considering a 2013 Ford Focus SE Hatchback (automatic) with the SE Appearance Package as I loved the look of the leather (have never had leather seats) and I really prefer a leather steering wheel. I'm a bit sad that they didn't offer push start ignition with this option or the rear view monitor, but I'm not going with the Titanium build as I've heard people have too many issues with MyTouch (and my boyfriend's parents have issues with theirs in their brand new Explorer). Additionally, I like all-season tires. I'm not one of those people that want to change their tires for winter each year.

I've read a lot about people having issues with the SelectShift dual transmission. Obviously, you always hear about what's wrong more than what's working for everyone.

My question is -- they didn't make any changes to the 2014 that I could tell that would improve that system?

I'm really worried about getting into another car with issues. Ford seems like a reliable company and I know many Ford owners who love their cars. How does everyone feel about Ford's customer service?

Just looking for a little feedback! Thanks. :)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
FoFoTi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119990
What I Drive: 2014 hatch

Points 555, Level 11
Points: 555, Level: 11 Points: 555, Level: 11 Points: 555, Level: 11
Level Up 10% Completed
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 1 FoFoTi Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Little to no change from 2013 to 2014 afaik, the latter 2013s & 2014s should have the latest & greatest 'fixes' - people complain long and loud when something is wrong but when all okay they tend to keep quiet - you pay your money and take your chances with any make / model thats for sure.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
HatsuneMiku
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 105511
What I Drive: 1996 Nissan Maxima

FF Reputation: 1 HatsuneMiku Good Standing Member
You should get the base titanium model without the handling package. MyFordTouch isn't that bad. The rear view camera and the push to start features are great and I would not buy a car without one.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
TheBigMortboski
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115429
What I Drive: Kenworth T-800

Points 50, Level 1
Points: 50, Level: 1 Points: 50, Level: 1 Points: 50, Level: 1
Level Up 50% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 0 TheBigMortboski Newbie
I kinda was in the same boat as you when I got mine, but mostly went with the SE201A because I wouldn't get an automatic and didn't want a moonroof, and try finding a Titanium with that combination. Sometimes it would be nice to have dual zone climate control, a backup camera, and keyless start (and the black headlights, but whatever), but I'd rather have three pedals and a radio that an idiot like me can operate.

If it helps your decision, the Titanium without the handling package comes with 17" wheels and M&S rated tires, but the SE201A does too.

As far as customer service, my dealer has been renowned in our area for theirs, but I'm a little biased since I used to work there. Suffice it to say, they're a major reason I went with a Ford in the first place, since I was looking also at Kia Souls that were $10,000 cheaper. But it varies widely from dealer to dealer. I went to another one years ago and saw two salesmen in a fist fight right on the lot. As the saying goes, your mileage may vary.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #5
saireah
Focus Enthusiast

Points 600, Level 11
Level Up 50% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigMortboski View Post
I kinda was in the same boat as you when I got mine, but mostly went with the SE201A because I wouldn't get an automatic and didn't want a moonroof, and try finding a Titanium with that combination. Sometimes it would be nice to have dual zone climate control, a backup camera, and keyless start (and the black headlights, but whatever), but I'd rather have three pedals and a radio that an idiot like me can operate.

If it helps your decision, the Titanium without the handling package comes with 17" wheels and M&S rated tires, but the SE201A does too.

As far as customer service, my dealer has been renowned in our area for theirs, but I'm a little biased since I used to work there. Suffice it to say, they're a major reason I went with a Ford in the first place, since I was looking also at Kia Souls that were $10,000 cheaper. But it varies widely from dealer to dealer. I went to another one years ago and saw two salesmen in a fist fight right on the lot. As the saying goes, your mileage may vary.
Thanks so much for your feedback! I didn't realize that the Titanium was available without the summer wheels. As much as I think it would be wonderful to have the keyless start like my current Nissan and the backup camera, my main factor for getting the SE201A is because, after title and fees, it will put me at relatively the same financing that I started out with my Versa. I know it sounds silly, but it makes me feel better to start semi-"even" again, with a better car with more quality features (leather, heated seats, etc). When I read that it's available without summer wheels, though, I did feel a bit bad -- but, ultimately, I want to have a paid off car, so I'm going to go back to a key. :)

After my post, I went back to the dealership and talked numbers with them after clarifying that the rear seats can fold down further than shown (if you remove the headrests, they'll go even flatter -- great for my puppies!).

Here's the breakdown. I have them holding the car for me until I hear back from Nissan (with the full understanding that they may put it back on the lot if Nissan gives me more grief -- but hoping not):

Trade difference: $22,722
Identity theft protection: $399 (What is this? Can I have this removed?)
Documentary fee: $189
State and Local Taxes: $1,056.05
Total License and Fees: $230 (This number will go down since I'm currently paid through February.)
Total cash price: $22,605.05

There's a $2,500 rebate included in this price, with $500 of that rebate dependent on your walking out the door with FordCredit for 4 months. After 4 payments, you can come in and refinance with no problems. Pretty neat offer, but I'll have to talk about whether or not that $500 is better than what my credit score will provide me with (and my credit score is quite good, so I'm betting I'll go with other financing).

Packages included:
* 201A
* Winter Package
* 17" Alloy Wheels

I'm pretty pleased and looking forward to it. Appreciate your feedback! I'm now going to do some digging around on whether or not I should include any extras -- extended warranty, rust proof & undercoat, interior protection, paint protection, etc. If you have any feedback on that, that'd be great!

I've decided to stop worrying about the transmission. As someone said, you often hear about the worst rather than the good. I've had awful luck with my Nissan but this time will be different!

And sorry for the wall of text. ;)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	car1.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	18668  

Last edited by saireah; 07-13-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #6
HocusSE_tukin20s
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 115495
What I Drive: 2013, Oxford White, SE

FF Reputation: 1 HocusSE_tukin20s Good Standing Member
that car looks great!! I got my 13 with 201A, myfordtouch w/nav, winter package for 23k otd.. sticker was 26,500. That was in December of 2012 and with 6.75 % sales tax. It is a great car. if you flog it in city it will not get great gas mileage but on road trips you will average 36 or better! The DCT is a little wacky sometimes but if you ask VW guys their's do the same stuff and VW has had it for years. Good luck!!
Old 07-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #7
saireah
Focus Enthusiast

Points 600, Level 11
Level Up 50% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by HocusSE_tukin20s View Post
that car looks great!! I got my 13 with 201A, myfordtouch w/nav, winter package for 23k otd.. sticker was 26,500. That was in December of 2012 and with 6.75 % sales tax. It is a great car. if you flog it in city it will not get great gas mileage but on road trips you will average 36 or better! The DCT is a little wacky sometimes but if you ask VW guys their's do the same stuff and VW has had it for years. Good luck!!
Thank you!! Do you have a license plate cover on yours in your photograph? I like it! The front has two screws and the back has four, correct? Am thinking of a plain license plate cover (like this) to help it blend in with the black.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:00 PM   #8
HocusSE_tukin20s
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 115495
What I Drive: 2013, Oxford White, SE

FF Reputation: 1 HocusSE_tukin20s Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by saireah View Post
Thank you!! Do you have a license plate cover on yours in your photograph? I like it! The front has two screws and the back has four, correct? Am thinking of a plain license plate cover (like this) to help it blend in with the black.
yup exact one.. helps at toll boths too!!
Old 07-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
autolite
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46002
What I Drive: 2006 pitch black zx4

Points 454, Level 9
Points: 454, Level: 9 Points: 454, Level: 9 Points: 454, Level: 9
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 3 autolite Good Standing Member
Hope it works out for you.Nice looking Focus.I like the one behind it...The Focus are great handling cars that are fun to drive.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #10
saireah
Focus Enthusiast

Points 600, Level 11
Level Up 50% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by autolite View Post
Hope it works out for you.Nice looking Focus.I like the one behind it...The Focus are great handling cars that are fun to drive.
Ha. :p That's what my boyfriend said, too. But, I'm totally OK with admitting that I like my cars to be a commuter car to get me from point A to point B with decent MPG. I loved this one and I feel totally confident about seeing out of it -- I had no idea it had the blind spot mirrors and would never consider it without them.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.