I may have been bitten! - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013-Current Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
JCH841
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 79303
What I Drive: 2013 Blue ST3

FF Reputation: 3 JCH841 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I may have been bitten!

Been thinking about getting a new car; for me that involves a lot of research, test drives, soul searching ... Been leaning towards a Mustang, maybe an Eco-Boosted Fusion SE when I noticed a local dealer had a Focus ST in a color I liked. It was loaded; heated butt grabbing seats, moon roof, split automatic temperature controls, etc. And it drove real nice, smooth and quiet cruise, very quick and road hugging. A little more than I want to spend, but it has got me really thinking. I need to straighten out some financial issues, but I think this is a car I could live with for a long time. Ford really put a nice total package together.

Is there a antidote or should I quit looking at Mustangs?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2013, 02:26 AM   #2
calebstubstad
Chef Boyardee

Fan#: 103240
What I Drive: 2000 Atlantic Blue LX

FF Reputation: 4 calebstubstad Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
what are your main reasons for a new car? gas mileage for commuting? a sporty car to have fun with? etc. the ST will be great (better) for gas mileage than say a v8 mustang, but obviously, the mustang will have more HP and torque, and be more of a fun machine, at the expense of feeling your wallet shrink. given the choice, i'd take the ST, as it's more practical, and makes a ton of power for all the seating and mpg's it offers.
Rally Revolution #43
[HOONIGAN]
Quote:
Originally Posted by matmatician View Post
Not the bear the zoo deserves, but the bear the zoo needs.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:22 AM   #3
JCH841
Focus Enthusiast

Honest answer - I'm going through some financial problems because of my ex-wife; feel like I'm just working to pay her outrageous demands, so I was looking to get a new car for me. I'm getting ~ 34 mpg with the 2008 and I've modified the suspension for better handling, actually a good car. Shortcomings - it's an auto with "D" and "L" so I can't hold a lower gear through the twisties and I'd like heated seats. Also has 105,000 miles on it, so a replacement in a year or so is not out of the question. While it would be a lot of fun, the Mustang GT would cost more every day, payments, insurance, gas ... As you said, the ST has a practical streak while being sporty. I do not want a Volkswagon, but the GTI has quite a reputation and the ST did unseat it in a test this year; first car to do that in years.

I'm both thinking out loud here and looking for any issues/problems with the ST as a long term daily driver; I've only seen one negative post here and everyone is entitled to their opinion. This forum is another valuable source of data besides my own senses to help me make an educated decision.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
fawzie13R
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 71759
What I Drive: '09 LT Blue Focus SEL Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 fawzie13R Good Standing Member
I would say go with the ST. you get great gas mileage and the power for the twisties. Mustangs are great but a lot of people in todays economy cant afford to purchase a mustang gt let alone the up keep of one.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #5
shineboy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 60173
What I Drive: 2013 ST, 2004 Cobra

FF Reputation: 1 shineboy Good Standing Member
I have had an ST as DD since October, awesome car. Nice balance... Power, fun and economy and handles like it is on rails. Always had a Mustang, still do, but if I could only pick one it would be the ST.

Last edited by shineboy; 07-14-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
4d4jacklee
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 50596
What I Drive: 2013 Black ST1

FF Reputation: 1 4d4jacklee Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Hi JCH841, I had a 2010 Mustang GT, 5 speed for a couple of years. When gas closed in on $5 a gallon, I traded the GT for a 2012 Focus S, 5 speed. I got bitten by the ST bug after my brother bought one and ended up trading my 2012 S for an 2013 ST1 in May.

I say go with the ST. You'll get better mileage, and considering weight and handling, I think a GT and ST would be a very close match on a track, especially a tight one. The one thing you can't get from the ST is that BEAUTIFUL ANGRY V8 sound, and that is a huge plus for the GT!
Old 07-13-2013, 10:17 AM   #7
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
I'd get the Mustang GT if you didn't need the utility of the Focus and you just wanted the performance but if money is an object then the ST is a wiser buy.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
drunkyoda
Hmmmmm

Fan#: 65151
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black LX

FF Reputation: 9 drunkyoda Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
i just got a v6 mustang and i couldnt be happier... plenty of power coming from a focus and pretty good gas mileage.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:10 PM   #9
JCH841
Focus Enthusiast

Thank you for all the replies. Especially appreciate the testimonial as a DD. As I stated, this is a long careful journey; unless I fall on something I can't live without with the deal of the century, I'm looking at 6-12 months out. A V-6 Mustang is my fallback, lots of good deals at CarMax, etc. on one year old Mustangs with only 10,000-15,000 miles on them. I have a '99 F150 with a 4.6 for heavy hauling and periodic doses of V-8 snarl. Not as fast, but it's the ticket for furniture, etc. Also it appears that with the Mustang, I can have Recaro seats or heated seats, but the ST3 package includes heated Recaro seats.

Last edited by JCH841; 07-13-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:22 PM   #10
Anthony2816
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116150
What I Drive: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST w/ST3 pack

FF Reputation: 1 Anthony2816 Good Standing Member
As far as the driving experience, I think the main advantage of the Focus ST is that it feels light, agile and nimble...enough to make the Mustang feel clunky. I like the fact that with the ST's quick acceleration, tight steering (1.8 turns lock-to-lock), and phenomenal corning make it a hoot to drive even if you never break the speed limit. I did a lot of research, but it was limited to the Hot Hatchback genre, and for my purposes the Focus ST was a clear winner. All the fun, but comfortably carries five, decent cargo space, nice looks, just the right size, and acceptable price. (Plus my daughter and mother-in-law recently bought Titaniums, so as a family there are some advantages to having similar cars). A comparable VW Golf R was something like $10,000 more. The Mazdaspeed 3 came in second to the ST in just about every online comparison I viewed. The new turbo version of the Hyundai Veloster looked promising, but it's smaller, and simply pales next to the ST's performance, suspension, brakes, etc. The only other possibilities I considered were the much more expensive Impreza WRX STI and the Mitsubishi Evo, but I decided they weren't worth the extra dollars, and weren't as comfortable as a daily driver. Every car is a compromise, but for me the ST is close to perfect.

You know, before deciding on an ST, make sure you take a close look at the Focus Titanium with the handling package. Less power, but better mpg and still fun to drive, and you can get an automatic tranny if that's something you'd like. I did notice, however, that the manual tranny in the Titanium isn't as nice to shift as the ST's.

Bookmarks & Social Networks