V-Maxx Coils- Install and Thoughts - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-12-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 24,680, Level 95
Points: 24,680, Level: 95 Points: 24,680, Level: 95 Points: 24,680, Level: 95
Level Up 33% Completed
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
V-Maxx Coils- Install and Thoughts

Recently I've gotten a lot of questions about the V-Maxx coils. Due to their price-point, they are very tempting when it comes to lowering your car. That same low price also adds a bit of apprehension, as nobody wants to spend $600 and be unhappy with their end-result suspension. I'll try and cover a few areas and I will come back and edit in some pictures from my phone.

Product Arrival/Contents
The package that I received was pretty beat up. After getting it into the garage and opened up, I took an inventory of what was in the box and it appeared that I had everything I needed. I even had an extra piece that goes nowhere on our suspension, and checking with other V-Maxx owners confirmed that it didn't belong. What I definitely noticed was missing was an install/instruction sheet. Why it is not included is beyond the scope of my understanding, especially when compared to the fact that my Pro-Kit springs had one.

Installation
Relatively straight-forward. Even without an instruction sheet, once you've taken your OEM suspension apart it is pretty easy to see how to piece everything together. The only thing that I didn't initially see was that the upper spring perch for the front coils fits over the bottom of the upper bearing. There are tabs on the bearing (for holding the upper part of the strut boot) that some have removed, though you can force the perch over them as well.

Ride Quality
For the cost, my honest opinion is that the ride is pretty good. I don't know if I had mentally set the bar really low before getting them, but I was pretty surprised when I went for the first few drives. With that being said, you definitely know that you are in a lowered car. There are sections of road (or entire roads) that you are not going to want to go on anymore. I have pretty good roads where I live, but there are some areas that the car gets bouncy that I wouldn't have predicted. I'm pretty curious as to how well the 13+ hour trip is going to be on them.

Adjustment
Here is my problem with these coils. Despite what the specifications sheet says, there is only about .5" worth of adjustment in the rear. I can deal with that as I don't have a winter here, but for someone that wants a set of coils that can take them back to or closer to OEM ride height for winter-it isn't going to happen. Depending on how you assemble the front, you can raise it something fierce. But that brings up another issue in itself. Depending on how you set up the front, you can't even level out your fenders. If you're fine with reverse-rake then cool, but I wanted level fenders and assumed (based on the specifications provided) that I could find a good area that the front and rear matched up.

For comparison (though the differences are subtle), there is this picture-

Here is a picture of how my car sits right now-

In the first picture, both the front and rear are at max-low. The rear upper isolators are installed, along with the locking ring up front. In order to get them within .25" of each other (front is still high), I had to raise the rear to max and take out the locking ring and helpers up front. Not until after I had purchased and installed everything was it recommended to me that I should have purchased aftermarket pillowball mounts. I don't know how much it would affect the overall installation ride-heights, but it definitely is something to consider above-and-beyond the initial cost of the coils.

I honestly don't know why these coils are listed for the Mk3. I have sent a request to V-Maxx to contact me about fitment concerns, so we will see how that goes. I always wondered why no one on the forum would post much about the coils other than to contact them via PM or text, but after installing and adjusting I understood. I can't whole-heartedly recommend them, but on the flip-side I can't fully discount them either. I don't feel, especially with the listed specifications, that I should have had to go to the lengths I did in order to level my fenders. This compromises safety, and I will definitely be upgrading to a more expensive set in the future. I'm simply trying to give my thoughts and opinions. Any other V-Maxx owners can share any tips/tricks install thoughts here as well, as I am really curious to see their install pics/methods along with final front/rear fender measurements. If anyone else has any questions, feel free to ask them so that we can have an open-dialogue and get the information distributed to the community.

2014 FiST-

Last edited by dyn085; 07-12-2013 at 01:08 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #2
jdubhack
I WILL correct you.

Fan#: 103056
What I Drive: 2014 SGM Fusion Ti

Points 9,186, Level 64
Points: 9,186, Level: 64 Points: 9,186, Level: 64 Points: 9,186, Level: 64
Level Up 46% Completed
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 37 jdubhack Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
I share all of Duane's feedback concerning the V-Maxx coils.

I've ridden in cars with coils, but I've never had a set of my own, nor have I had to install them. Having previously done suspension the learning curve isn't sharp; it simply becomes a matter of what goes where. V-Maxx's complete lack of instructions, labels, and/or guides is pretty ridiculous for a product that costs upwards of $600. This wouldn't be that large of a problem if the system was specifically made for the Focus Mk3.

Evidence to suggest it is not:

- Strut bearing does not fit into upper coil perch without a considerable amount of force.
- Leaving the helper spring in and installing the bearing negates the amount of low one can go.
- Either the helper stays in and the bearing is out, or vice versa in order to achieve "low."
- The mount on the front coil for the FSB link is welded into the bottom couple millimeters of coil, further negating low.
- There is no where to attach the brake lines, like OEM, on the coil. It haphazardly attaches and requires a zip-tie.

V-Maxx's website advertises some numbers that are, quite frankly, un-achievable. Duane has already mentioned this, but I'd like to elaborate. I bought the coils specifically for the ability to even the fenders, achieve a rake, and tuck. While tuck is possible in the back, and barely possible in the front, there is no-way to achieve level fenders as the coils come from V-Maxx. Because of the slope of the roof the trays on my bike rack are lower in the back. I had hoped to rake the car enough to level the trays with the ground, this would level the wheel wells too. That is sadly not going to happen without cutting corners and thereby sacrificing safety, not something anyone should have to do when they buy a $600 product.

I think the ride quality is pretty decent for coils.

I have reservations about recommending them specifically because they are not what V-Maxx advertised and anyone buying them with those expectations in mind will be disappointed. The lack of adjustment is really a sore-spot with me. Le sigh. However, if you buy them and just want moar low, w/o the ability to significantly adjust, then you will be happy.

I'd like to hear what V-Maxx has to say and whether or not they'd offer a refund or a possible solution given their lack of accurate advertisement.
<>< Gal. 6:14
April 2013 HOTM
2013 Ford Fun Weekend: Show Class Winner

Last edited by jdubhack; 07-12-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
Shade-010
Sonic Crew # 010

Fan#: 87369
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE Sport - 5 Speed

Points 14,487, Level 78
Points: 14,487, Level: 78 Points: 14,487, Level: 78 Points: 14,487, Level: 78
Level Up 10% Completed
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Forum Activity 23%
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%
FF Reputation: 10 Shade-010 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I also emailed V-Maxx so we can get the issues remedied.
http://www.rebeldevil.com
Old 07-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 24,680, Level 95
Points: 24,680, Level: 95 Points: 24,680, Level: 95 Points: 24,680, Level: 95
Level Up 33% Completed
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
If people could post some installed pics and ride-height fender measurements (level surface, ground-to-fender) I would appreciate it. I would like to see how people have set-up their coils (either out of the car or wheels-off) in order to achieve their numbers. I will get some pics of mine once it stops raining here and edit them into this post.
2014 FiST-
Old 07-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
HornedFrog05
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 97892
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black ST2

FF Reputation: 6 HornedFrog05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Thanks for the information guys, VMAXX was looking like a viable option for me due to the price point in the future. This definitely lets me take a step back and weigh all the other options.
HN#267 LS#108

TREAT YO SELF 2013
Old 07-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #6
Vince
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115058
What I Drive: 2012, Black Tit X

FF Reputation: 1 Vince Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Not the sort of thing I was hoping for in this thread as I'm awaiting to get my V maxx coilovers on in a couple of days.

Hopefully a solution will appear before have mine off.

Regards,
Vince
Old 07-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
Shade-010
Sonic Crew # 010

Fan#: 87369
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE Sport - 5 Speed

Points 14,487, Level 78
Points: 14,487, Level: 78 Points: 14,487, Level: 78 Points: 14,487, Level: 78
Level Up 10% Completed
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Forum Activity 23%
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%
FF Reputation: 10 Shade-010 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
We at RDC are working with V-Maxx to find a solution to the addressed issues

sent from some beach :)
http://www.rebeldevil.com
Old 07-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #8
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

Points 7,738, Level 58
Points: 7,738, Level: 58 Points: 7,738, Level: 58 Points: 7,738, Level: 58
Level Up 94% Completed
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 11 Joeywhat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
It's unfortunate that these are not working...although based on reviews from other forums, with different vehicles this seems to be somewhat the norm. There's not a ton of praise out there for these, although the price point is very attractive.

What sucks is that it seems the only other options for quality coils are well into the $1500+ range.
Hatch Nation #29
Old 07-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #9
jdubhack
I WILL correct you.

Points 9,186, Level 64
Level Up 46% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
It's unfortunate that these are not working...although based on reviews from other forums, with different vehicles this seems to be somewhat the norm. There's not a ton of praise out there for these, although the price point is very attractive.

What sucks is that it seems the only other options for quality coils are well into the $1500+ range.
I did find a set of K-Sport with dampeners, pillow mounts, and Mk3 specific fitment for $911.XX.
April 2013 HOTM
Old 07-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #10
jdubhack
I WILL correct you.

Points 9,186, Level 64
Level Up 46% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade-010 View Post
We at RDC are working with V-Maxx to find a solution to the addressed issues

sent from some beach :)
Have they responded with anything?
April 2013 HOTM

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.