spi engine questions - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
james1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116612
What I Drive: 2001 tan focus se

FF Reputation: 1 james1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
spi engine questions

Hello I have a few questions about my 2001 focus se Vin p.

Ok so friend of mine gave me this car with no engine in it.
He told me that the 2.0 spi goes in it and now all I hear is that it has a valve seat problem or the engine just sucks get the zetec engine.

Iheard that all I need to do is buy the aftermarket machined head that's have the valve set problem corrected, and the spi engine will last just as long as a zetec. Is this true?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2013, 05:41 AM   #2
V3N0M951
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106526
What I Drive: 1989 Ford Probe GT

FF Reputation: 1 V3N0M951 Good Standing Member
yea they fixed the valve seat retainers so they wouldnt expand with the heat causing the valve to drop you only need the retainers not the whole head, my girls focus overheated so as the head went to machine shop we got that taken care of
Old 07-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Fan#: 1986
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by james1 View Post
Iheard that all I need to do is buy the aftermarket machined head that's have the valve set problem corrected, and the spi engine will last just as long as a zetec. Is this true?
Probably longer....

There is a lot of hate for the little SPI engine (Which is one of the things that drives me the most crazy on this forum), and it has gotten a really bad rep. The truth is, outside of the valve seat issue (which is obviously a major issue) the SPI gets better gas milage and is more reliable than the zetec. The zetec has more horsepower and better aftermarket support. For some people, that is all that matters.

The SPI is a good, strong engine. Don't let the haters tell you anything different.

As for your new car, the SPI swap is definitely a lot easier. The problem is that because of the valve seat issue, SPI motors are becoming expensive. So some have gone zetec and saved money, but you do need extra parts To swap the zetec.

Check out this thread for a bunch of info: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...ight=spi+zetec

Hopefully this helps. keep us updated!
Old 07-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
V3N0M951
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106526
What I Drive: 1989 Ford Probe GT

FF Reputation: 1 V3N0M951 Good Standing Member
this motor can lick my balls jk, no i had bad luck with my girls 02 se focus but thats due to poor maintenance leading to an overheat then getting it fixed and then gives out again! and this time block is cracked >:| we dont want to fix the car anymore but we dont know wat to do with the shell, i dont really like the spi motor tho, the zetec swap doesnt sound too bad either, just gotta get all the parts first

Bookmarks & Social Networks