Ford cuts price of 2014 electric Focus by 10 percent - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
FFTeam
Administrator

Fan#: 41389
FF Reputation: 4 FFTeam Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ford cuts price of 2014 electric Focus by 10 percent

Ford Motor Co. will reduce the price of its 2014 Focus Electric compact car by 10 percent, the latest in a series of price cuts by major automakers on their battery-powered cars.

The 2014 Focus Electric, which will reach dealerships in the next few weeks, will have a starting price of $35,200, Ford spokeswoman Amanda Zusman said. That is down $4,000 from the $39,200 base price on the 2013 model.

The new price, which excludes government credits and other charges, will keep Ford's first electric passenger car "competitive" in the market, Zusman said.

Since the model's launch last year, Ford has built 2,517 Focus electric cars and sold about 1,593. During the first six months of 2013, Ford sold 900 of the cars.

So far this year, General Motors Co. (GM) and Nissan Motor Co. have also taken steps to make their electric and plug-in cars more affordable as others pile into the segment with new models.

Last month, GM announced it would offer incentives of up to $5,000 on the Chevrolet Volt plug-in hybrid, which starts at nearly $40,000 before federal and state tax credits.

Earlier this year, Nissan dropped the U.S. price of its 2013 Leaf electric vehicle by more than $6,000, bringing its base price to below $30,000.

U.S. regulators are pressuring automakers to boost the fuel economy of their lineups by 50 percent over the next dozen years. But sales have struggled for a range of issues, including a lack of charging infrastructure for plug-in vehicles.

Sales of electric and plug-in cars more than doubled during the first six months of the year, according to hybridcars.com, which tracks "green" car sales. But they accounted for less than 1 percent of overall U.S. auto sales.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
misfire

Fan#: 31379
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatch, 2014 Mazda CX-5

FF Reputation: 31 misfire Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
We've sold all 3 2013 electric Foci at work. Cant wait for the 14's to roll in
Old 07-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
FoFoTi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119990
What I Drive: 2014 hatch

FF Reputation: 1 FoFoTi Good Standing Member
Thumbs up

Give um (the competition) heck Ford !
Old 07-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #4
thehubster
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46763
What I Drive: 2002 Blue Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 2 thehubster Good Standing Member
I wish ford made a focus with the same set up as the chevy volt. i think that is one of the best electrics out there right now because it puts the electric motor at the forefront and the gas motor as the extra. I am glad to hear ford is getting the price down. its still just to much. a base gas focus is only like 20,000. it would take a long time to make up that kind of a gap with savings on gas.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #5
FoFoTi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119990
What I Drive: 2014 hatch

FF Reputation: 1 FoFoTi Good Standing Member
Wink

But the Volt is 40 grand, my 2010 Fusion hybrid gets almost the same MPG and was 10K less (not to say the Volt isn't nice)
Old 07-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
flyboyike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98206
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE sedan

FF Reputation: 3 flyboyike Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfire View Post
We've sold all 3 2013 electric Foci at work. Cant wait for the 14's to roll in
Over what time period?
Old 07-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #7
2.0 Focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94292
What I Drive: 2007 White Focus

FF Reputation: 0 2.0 Focus Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehubster View Post
I wish ford made a focus with the same set up as the chevy volt. i think that is one of the best electrics out there right now because it puts the electric motor at the forefront and the gas motor as the extra. I am glad to hear ford is getting the price down. its still just to much. a base gas focus is only like 20,000. it would take a long time to make up that kind of a gap with savings on gas.
The entire point of an electric is to ditch the crappy gas motor not combine the two and cause more problems and reliability issues in the long term.

I think the current electric focus is way to expensive and with very limited range. You can't just take a standard gas car and convert it to electric. Its like all the major manufactures purposely make their electric cars slow, with limited range and much slower then the gas counterpart.

I can't wait until tesla comes out with a cheap electric vehicle for the masses, it'll probably blow anything on the market right now out of the water.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:42 PM   #8
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
"Cheap" and "Electric" don't go hand-in-hand.

As of right now, all electric cars are being sold at a loss. Tesla is pricing their vehicles appropriately and is still bleeding money.

The batteries and electric drive systems of these cars alone cost tens of thousands of dollars. Nevermind the costs of the rest of the components that make it a full-featured car.

Hybrids are more profitable for manufacturers and it is more likely that hybrid systems will be in the majority of passenger cars within the next few years as battery technology is improved and costs are reduced. In fact, Subaru is releasing a "hybrid" Crosstrek later this year that proves it. The batteries are small and the electric motor is only good for 13hp. This improves mileage without the outrageous production costs or adverse effects of heavy electrical components.

It will be many years before there is a full-featured electric car that has a 200+ mile range for less than $30k
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:08 PM   #9
2.0 Focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94292
What I Drive: 2007 White Focus

FF Reputation: 0 2.0 Focus Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.mogul View Post
"Cheap" and "Electric" don't go hand-in-hand.

As of right now, all electric cars are being sold at a loss. Tesla is pricing their vehicles appropriately and is still bleeding money.

The batteries and electric drive systems of these cars alone cost tens of thousands of dollars. Nevermind the costs of the rest of the components that make it a full-featured car.

Hybrids are more profitable for manufacturers and it is more likely that hybrid systems will be in the majority of passenger cars within the next few years as battery technology is improved and costs are reduced. In fact, Subaru is releasing a "hybrid" Crosstrek later this year that proves it. The batteries are small and the electric motor is only good for 13hp. This improves mileage without the outrageous production costs or adverse effects of heavy electrical components.

It will be many years before there is a full-featured electric car that has a 200+ mile range for less than $30k
Gas car where expensive when they came out too. Mass manufacturing reduced the price to almost nothing.

Electric cars should be cheaper to develop from the start considering how few components they have, thus resulting in lower price for the consumer.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:15 PM   #10
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehubster View Post
Federal tax credits help subsidize the cost for the consumer as well.

The person who buys an electric vehicle probably wasn't cross shopping a regular Focus anyhow. Electric cars are still a "statement vehicle" so pure economics isn't the primary decision maker. They also have perks depending on where you live, in CA you can use the carpool lane by yourself, so if you live or work in L.A. that alone may save 2 hours of drive time per day.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->