**synthetic or not? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-13-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
pjchops
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115718
What I Drive: 2011 Blue Flame SES sedan

FF Reputation: 1 pjchops Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
**synthetic or not?

Hi All, I'm new to this forum, I have a 2011 Focus SES that I bought new, I just hit 61,000 miles and I'm thinking of changing to synthetic oil, is there any benefits to this? I've been using conventional oil every 3k miles since new so I'm looking for some feedback, I'm intending on keeping this car as long as I can, any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
bones33
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105414
What I Drive: '05 Silver ST

FF Reputation: 1 bones33 Good Standing Member
Do the synth. Dino oil at 3K intervals means you have a very very clean engine and at only 61K means it is likely in great shape.

I'd do full synthetic and change at 6k+ intervals. Do an oil analysis and you would probably find you could go 10K intervals, maybe more before the oil approaches it's wear out point.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
don627
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 56863
What I Drive: 2007 infra-red zx3

FF Reputation: 1 don627 Good Standing Member
If you want to extend you oil change intervals then synthetic is the way to go. If you are going to change it at 3-5000 mile intervals then any quality dino oil will do just fine. I personally use the Motorcraft semi syn and change at 5000 miles and my engine is spotless inside after 114000 miles on my '03
Old 06-13-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
Arty
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 39600
What I Drive: 2004 Orange Focus CosWagon

FF Reputation: 1 Arty Good Standing Member
I change oil 2 times a year running Amsoil full synthetic. Oil costs 8$ per quart but is good for 12,000 miles. Check Amsoil.com.
Comp Orange Coswagon /Torsen and 4.06 gear, alum. flywheel/w/Centerforce clutch. 2.3L/ 11.6 pistons, 39lb. inj. Eagle rods, Stage 2 Cosworth cams on ported street head with the Cosworth Intake and exhaust, 205NA HP., rev limit 7800 rpm.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #5
pjchops
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115718
What I Drive: 2011 Blue Flame SES sedan

FF Reputation: 1 pjchops Good Standing Member
thanks guys, great info, this car runs great and gets 30 mpg regularly, I'm hoping to get many more miles out of it. Thanks again!
Old 06-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #6
calebstubstad
Chef Boyardee

Fan#: 103240
What I Drive: 2000 Atlantic Blue LX

FF Reputation: 4 calebstubstad Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
synthetic is the way to go, it flows better and is an oil designed for cars. if you were to do this in a beat up engine, the oil would likely find small holes to leak out of since it is thinner, but you are more than likely okay switching. there aren't any real benefits for our smaller non-performance cars, but it can't hurt. you could even switch to 50/50, or any other mix synth/conventional.
Rally Revolution #43
[HOONIGAN]
Quote:
Originally Posted by matmatician View Post
Not the bear the zoo deserves, but the bear the zoo needs.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #7
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
synthetic doesn't leak out because it's thinner, it has a seal swell value of <1 so nitrile and other seals shrink. Conventional oil has just over 1.0 and the "high mileage" oils are a little higher
Old 06-13-2013, 10:23 PM   #8
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
No oil should ever be changed by how many miles are on it, and a change schedule should never be determined by what the internet recommends.

There is only 1 correct way to find out how far you can push change intervals safely, Used Oil Analysis. This is where you take a sample of new oil and samples at various times to find out the condition of the oil at that point in time and the condition of the oil. You mail it in and they mail back recommendations.

My gripe with mile ratings is that no one is stating their typical driving style, routes or anything. You don't know if they do 90% stop and go or lots of highway driving. That all makes a big difference.
Basing oil changes on run time hours is more accurate, but not exact. Running hours figures that the oil has seen near the same amount of contaminates. Think hours run vs 30mph average over 3,000 miles (100 hours) vs 60mph average (50 hours). Significant difference there.

Spend the maybe $50 to find out how far you can push oil. In the long run it will save you money if you stick to the schedule.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #9
CriticalMass
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63989
What I Drive: 2009 Focus Coupe SES, Silver

FF Reputation: 2 CriticalMass Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebstubstad View Post
synthetic is the way to go, it flows better and is an oil designed for cars. if you were to do this in a beat up engine, the oil would likely find small holes to leak out of since it is thinner, but you are more than likely okay switching. there aren't any real benefits for our smaller non-performance cars, but it can't hurt. you could even switch to 50/50, or any other mix synth/conventional.
Yes, there are benefits. It more evenly coats engine components and thus reduces wear. It also remains stable at a molecular level for a much longer period, which also reduces engine wear.

It's designed to make engines last longer and be able to run them harder. It's good for any car engine. not just performance vehicles. :)
Old 06-15-2013, 04:39 AM   #10
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
The only big difference is that it can take more heat without breaking down. Why you can run it longer and at thinner weights.

I still don't run it. Can't seem to kill the cars even at 9000 mile OCI now. Walmart Supertech regular oil at around $17 changes.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->