1st post couple of Question for you guys - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-19-2013, 03:10 AM   #1
w-all-ace
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116591
What I Drive: 2003 Black Focus 2.0 Ghia

FF Reputation: 1 w-all-ace Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Exclamation 1st post couple of Question for you guys

Hi all

First post as only had the Ford about a week, was my dads before he has a new 13 plate festa now which look the nuts and as ford only offerd him 800notes for it, i was given it when i decided to SORN my Golf and strip it.

A little history :-
When my dad had it in May when driving back from Cornwall this happend to him, stopped after a big run so engine would have been hot and wouldn't start so RAC man came and couldn't sort it so got toe'd to ford dealer in Sheffield, took them 2weeks and the master mechanic to replace a fuse (according to the paper work), at a coast of over 200 because of "diagnostics" but they have also discounted the alarm for some reasion.

So the issue is with my 53plate focus 2.0 ghia, when i ve been driving it for a bit or when the engine gets up to temp when i stop sometimes when i go to restart it the engine turns but dosnt fire, so go straight to the axaulry fuse box to find a blowen fuel pump fuse.

i replace the fuse and then unless the engine has cooled it still dosnt fire up but once the engine has cooled it fire's up. Is this the fuel pump or is it more likely the fuse box/loom in engine bay due to it not firing when warm?

Also wile i was waiting for it to cool i noticed this :-

The in line fues dose not look OM to me but could be wrong, and whats the other bit with the threaded bit. both located next to battery box.

Any help/advice would be great thanks

mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2013, 05:26 AM   #2
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Who has been working on that beast? Personally, I'm all for blaming things like that on "stupid Americans" but I thought you stiff upper lip types had higher quality motorsports maniacs over there? Seeing things like that totally ruins my image, but I'll keep the pictures of the Ginetta on the wall regardless. Just kidding bro, but yeah you've experienced some bad mechanic at some point.

The threaded thingy that's just sitting up there looks to me like it is the knock sensor. This should be threaded into the side of the engine somewhere- not sure exactly where, but a manual would tell you. You can just thread it around and see where it might go- figure it out that way. This tells the ECU when the engine is experiencing spark knock, or pinging. Then the ECU compensates by retarding spark. Pinging can be caused by incorrect spark plugs- higher heat range than allowable, bad gasoline, or lower octane gasoline than required. It can also be caused by incorrect camshaft timing- like if some mechanic replaces the timing belt, and is off a tooth.

That's not your problem. Yes it should be hooked up, but you might find out the reason why it was disconnected if you remove it from it's current location. What is going to be screwing you up is that it is going to knock around where it sits now, so until you decided to really dig into the problems of your engine- you might want to tie it up on some nearby wiring loom or something not metal that you can secure it to so that it doesn't hit metal. Don't unplug it. The ECU will know, and will complain.

Stopping and not starting after being heated up is one we've run into before- however there is not one solid fix for it. It can be fixed, but it can be several different things also. Blowing a fuel pump fuse is not normal, and you should definitely have that looked into. Another big cause of this issue is the ignition switch which should be a fairly inexpensive and simple part to replace- although I usually look for more definitive signs of ignition switch problems like not starting at all or no ACC. The fuel pump control module might be under the back seat on the right side like in a US spec Focus- pop the seat up and take a look. Or you can trace that wire that appears to be added down to where it goes- if that's the fuse that is blowing. It could be that there was a short in the fuel pump power circuit, and some clever fellow rewired it instead of finding and fixing the short circuit. Then you're putting a fuse in when the car stops, and the car starts eventually- but if you checked the fuse at any other point it would blow as soon as you turned the key to ON. Who is going to check a fuse if things are working- right?

It might also have nothing to do with it at all, and might simply be someone's amplifier add-on for the stereo.

I wish I could be more help, but search this site for starting problems when warm. Some people had fuel pump control module problems. Some people had ignition switch problems.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:08 AM   #3
w-all-ace
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
Who has been working on that beast? Personally, I'm all for blaming things like that on "stupid Americans" but I thought you stiff upper lip types had higher quality motorsports maniacs over there? Seeing things like that totally ruins my image, but I'll keep the pictures of the Ginetta on the wall regardless. Just kidding bro, but yeah you've experienced some bad mechanic at some point.

The threaded thingy that's just sitting up there looks to me like it is the knock sensor. This should be threaded into the side of the engine somewhere- not sure exactly where, but a manual would tell you. You can just thread it around and see where it might go- figure it out that way. This tells the ECU when the engine is experiencing spark knock, or pinging. Then the ECU compensates by retarding spark. Pinging can be caused by incorrect spark plugs- higher heat range than allowable, bad gasoline, or lower octane gasoline than required. It can also be caused by incorrect camshaft timing- like if some mechanic replaces the timing belt, and is off a tooth.

That's not your problem. Yes it should be hooked up, but you might find out the reason why it was disconnected if you remove it from it's current location. What is going to be screwing you up is that it is going to knock around where it sits now, so until you decided to really dig into the problems of your engine- you might want to tie it up on some nearby wiring loom or something not metal that you can secure it to so that it doesn't hit metal. Don't unplug it. The ECU will know, and will complain.

Stopping and not starting after being heated up is one we've run into before- however there is not one solid fix for it. It can be fixed, but it can be several different things also. Blowing a fuel pump fuse is not normal, and you should definitely have that looked into. Another big cause of this issue is the ignition switch which should be a fairly inexpensive and simple part to replace- although I usually look for more definitive signs of ignition switch problems like not starting at all or no ACC. The fuel pump control module might be under the back seat on the right side like in a US spec Focus- pop the seat up and take a look. Or you can trace that wire that appears to be added down to where it goes- if that's the fuse that is blowing. It could be that there was a short in the fuel pump power circuit, and some clever fellow rewired it instead of finding and fixing the short circuit. Then you're putting a fuse in when the car stops, and the car starts eventually- but if you checked the fuse at any other point it would blow as soon as you turned the key to ON. Who is going to check a fuse if things are working- right?

It might also have nothing to do with it at all, and might simply be someone's amplifier add-on for the stereo.

I wish I could be more help, but search this site for starting problems when warm. Some people had fuel pump control module problems. Some people had ignition switch problems.

thanks for the reply mate, i know all work has been carried out at a FORD Dealer aswell !

Well the "knock sensor" (IN PINK) looks like its been there a long time its on a clip connected to the battrey box better pic below of location.

been out to the car cant see where the sensor would go there no holes etc for it, any idea why there a in line fuse (IN GREEN) on the loom with it?

The starting prob forgive my stupidity but "ignition switch" is that the ignition where key goes lol is there a how to etc

could it be the wireing in engine bay/fues box as when its hot wont start when bonnet open and it cools it starts with a new fuse in, or dosnt that mater regarding the fuel pump power circuit

thanks
mike
Old 07-19-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Bad fuel pump or shorted wire is popping the pump fuse, temperature helps but not the cause.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:15 PM   #5
w-all-ace
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
Bad fuel pump or shorted wire is popping the pump fuse, temperature helps but not the cause.

thanks ill have look first for a damaged wire first then look at getting the pump replaced.

Bookmarks & Social Networks