broken clutch pedal - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-10-2007, 05:37 PM   #1
macdiesel
I used to drive this

Fan#: 31579
What I Drive: 2010 mazdaspeed3

FF Reputation: 21 macdiesel Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (16)
broken clutch pedal

On my way home from school in stop and go traffic I noticed my clutch pedal acting funny. Got real hard, then super stiff, then dropped to the floor. I was about 1 car length from a busy intersection, which would have sucked if I had to push it thru the intersection. When the pedal went soft a little metal rod fell to the floor.

I reached under and felt the clutch master cylinder lever hanging off the assembly. I stuck the pin in the hole and it got me home with frequent adjustments.

I went to Murrays and picked up some JB Weld and am hoping it does the trick. If not I'll have to chalk up the funds for a new pedal. Just waiting for it to dry over night.

Also noticed my clutch master cylinder leaking a bit. When I blindly put the rod in I put it on the wrong side and the rod would work itself out pulling the lever to one side. Really hoping the clutch master cylinder isn't done, had it replaced bout a year ago. Kinda wondering if anyone has had a similiar experience with this problem or JB Welds ability to stuff together? Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2007, 05:56 PM   #2
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Bummer on the clutch master cylinder leaking. I really wish Ford would come up with a fix for that. It seems crazy that it's been wrong for so long, and the engineers haven't gotten around to resolving the issue.

My experiences with JB Weld have depended on whether or not you made the mix correctly. Beyond that, it's a matter of the situation where it's used. The more stress on the object- the less likely it will last for long. Good luck on finding a replacement part. I hope you know some good junkyards nearby because I think that it's something you can get for cheap there, but not the dealer. I'd check with Mike at Hilbish in our vendor section, his prices are great, and he's very good about giving information.

There is some stuff call weld stick, made my several manufacturers, it dries harder than JB weld and is pre-mixed. The only problem I'd see in your situation is working it in there without getting it in a place where it would seize the action of the pedal.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:48 PM   #3
macdiesel
I used to drive this

Whynot, thanks for the feedback. I'm hoping the Jbweld works but am not banking on it. The problem is in a really tight area to apply any sort of adhesion substance. If this doesn't work I might try some bolt/washer/bushing conconction. And possibly hit up some junkyards. I really don't even want to know what the clutch pedal would cost from a dealer. Might hit up Mike if all else fails.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:47 AM   #4
nomad327
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 19440
What I Drive: red 2002 svt focus

FF Reputation: 13 nomad327 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'm impressed you got so lucky! On mine, I had one funny pedal feels funny, and the second try, it snapped the plastic pushrod off at the top of the master cylinder. I got home, but had to drive thirty miles through two towns with no clutch whatsoever. I detailed all of this in the master cylinder replacement thread that is now a sticky. When you replace the master cylinder, the pedal box comes out, and it's a very easy weld to reinstall the pin forever. The factory job has one large tackweld holding the pin to the clutch rod and that's it.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:14 AM   #5
sucof_drof
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 28633
What I Drive: 2001 Mustang Bullitt #5427

FF Reputation: 1 sucof_drof Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I've replaced the clutch master cylinder on my ZX3 a couple months before I sold it. It was leaking out right where the plunger is. The bad part is the main resevor for the clutch is the same resevor your brake fluid is in. Yes, it shares the same resevor, so you are losing brake fluid at the same time. If you want to attempt replacing it yourself let me know and I can try to help out as much as possible through the forum. I wish I would have wrote up a how to on replacing it. I haven't checked, but there might already be one out there.
2001 Mustang Bullitt #5427
O/R X, SSS Catback Exhaust, MGW STS, JLT CAI, & SCT XCAL2 93 Tune

2002 Focus ZX3-sold and missed!
Old 12-11-2007, 02:19 PM   #6
macdiesel
I used to drive this

Well the JbWeld looks to be holding thus far. From the wear marks on the rod it looks like the cmc plunger was working itself away from the clutch pedal and possible putting more stress on the rod. So basically the cmc plunger is going in slightly crooked. I had the clutch master cylinder replaced about a year ago and am questioning the install. Gonna throw a little more Jbweld on now and monitor the leak until funds free up. So far everything seems to drive fine.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:49 PM   #7
penguin
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 21700
What I Drive: 2005 Infrared ZXW

FF Reputation: 109 penguin Excellent Standing Member penguin Excellent Standing Member
Considering all the possible consequences if the clutch pedal broke and the clutch abruptly engaged at an inappropriate time, I myself would not count on JB Weld and would spend the money for a replacement, either new or from a junkyard.

There are lots of places to save money, but the clutch pedal isn't one of them.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
shortbuszx3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 104646
What I Drive: 2005 eggyolk yellow zx3

FF Reputation: 1 shortbuszx3 Good Standing Member
I have this proboem rght now , it slipped off and when it did the plunder pice itslf came out with the plastic gear and o ring on the inside, scince this popped out I've tried putting it back in ad every time I do this ad go to bleed my clutch all the break fluid falls from were the plunger seats, is it reusable scince it popped off or do I have to replace the clutch master cyliner? completly
Old 05-24-2013, 07:26 PM   #9
SVTRSST
70 100 70 70 : (

Fan#: 50439
What I Drive: 2003 Sonic Blue SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 16 SVTRSST Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
mcdiesel what did you end up doing, this just happened to me on the hw, i was able to put it back in place but i want to fix it
Old 05-25-2013, 07:08 AM   #10
macdiesel
I used to drive this

I rocked the jb weld and zip ties for a short while, ended up buying another svt pedal assembly and had the clutch peg welded at a local exhaust shop. Iirc I had all the pegs welded.

You could probably take the assembly off and bring somewhere. I paid five bucks for the guy to do it. Worked like a charm ever since.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->