lying gas mileage?? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #1
GreyBullit
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115516
What I Drive: 2013, sterling grey,SE

FF Reputation: 1 GreyBullit Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
lying gas mileage??

Has anyone calculated their gas mileage?? when you fill the tank, you divide the miles you used by the gallons you put in correct?? well, if that is true I'm only getting 20 mpg, but the computer says I'm getting 24 mpg. I now the car is barley broken in, 1090 miles on it, but that's the second tank that I counted and got a lower reading then the computer states..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
redzone
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114512
What I Drive: 2013 Blue Candy Hatchback SE

FF Reputation: 1 redzone Good Standing Member
i use fuelly to track my mileage. use trip 2 for all time avg mpg and trip 1 for each trip.

so far the computer has been preety much dead on.
Stock for now
Old 07-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #3
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Better sell it now before you find out other naughty things your car is doing!
Little lies add up. You car is probably sleeping with that hot car down the street...
That hot rod is syphoning your gas on the sly...
I get 33 mpg all the time..
Old 07-07-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
joshuafail
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115261
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Silver SE w/MFT

FF Reputation: 9 joshuafail Good Standing Member
My first two or so tanks were way off from what the computer said I was getting. After that, it's been within .5 mpg.. Have you been resetting the meter ever time you fill up?
Old 07-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
2kwik4u
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102523
What I Drive: '12-Sonic Blue-5dr/5spd/203A/Roof

FF Reputation: 1 2kwik4u Good Standing Member
ROFL at Elizabeth's post above! I love it!

The MPG meter in my car is only accurate around 30mpg or so. As you move away from that number the error increases. I have data for the last 21k miles to show if you like. My error wasn't quite as bad as the 20% off you are reporting, but it is noticeable. Error compounds if you aren't consistent in how you "top off" the tank as well. Two clicks after it shuts off automatically will create more error than if just letting it shut off on it's own, and then removing the nozzle.

As a reference for how the computer figures mileage. It takes the readings from the car, and computes the "average mpg" from that. Distance travelled since reset can be off by 3-5% depending on how accurate your speedometer is, of course that is impacted by proper inflation. Also actual fuel flow rate vs commanded is always off a little as well, leading to more error in the calculation. Even your hand calculations are a little "off" due to the gas station measuring volume not mass, and any error in that reading.

To get a "true" mpg number you need to compare mass of fuel actually used, vs Accurate GPS distance numbers. That will reduce the calculation error about as much as possible outside of a lab.

The moral of my story.......Don't trust the computers calculations, trust your hand calculations, and be as consistent as you can with your filling procedure. Using the same pumps helps too. It's worth checking your speedo's calibration with a decent GPS unit as well if you want to add in a correction factor for that.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #6
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
The car's mpg computer is pretty accurate in my experience. The challenge in manual calculations is getting the tank to the same level of fullness each time. With a tank as small as on the Focus, a 1/2 gallon difference between fill can make a noticeable difference in mpg. Keep track of actual fuel consumed versus what the trip computer is thinking over 5 - 10 tanksful and you'll feel better.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
I find its good to reset the computer from time to time but for the most part with nearly all city and a little hwy we've been getting a solid 29 but has been as low as 25 for a tank or two. I'd be more concerned about only getting 20mpg in the first place.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #8
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Fan#: 85425
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kwik4u View Post

The MPG meter in my car is only accurate around 30mpg or so. As you move away from that number the error increases. I have data for the last 21k miles to show if you like. My error wasn't quite as bad as the 20% off you are reporting, but it is noticeable. Error compounds if you aren't consistent in how you "top off" the tank as well. Two clicks after it shuts off automatically will create more error than if just letting it shut off on it's own, and then removing the nozzle.

As a reference for how the computer figures mileage. It takes the readings from the car, and computes the "average mpg" from that. Distance travelled since reset can be off by 3-5% depending on how accurate your speedometer is, of course that is impacted by proper inflation. Also actual fuel flow rate vs commanded is always off a little as well, leading to more error in the calculation. Even your hand calculations are a little "off" due to the gas station measuring volume not mass, and any error in that reading.

To get a "true" mpg number you need to compare mass of fuel actually used, vs Accurate GPS distance numbers. That will reduce the calculation error about as much as possible outside of a lab.

The moral of my story.......Don't trust the computers calculations, trust your hand calculations, and be as consistent as you can with your filling procedure. Using the same pumps helps too. It's worth checking your speedo's calibration with a decent GPS unit as well if you want to add in a correction factor for that.
This, calculating your own is much better than the computer calculation.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #9
Von551
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115392
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Von551 Good Standing Member
take it in to get looked at. i only have 1,500 miles on my car and am already averaging 29mpg with aggressive manual transmission driving. computer was spot on to my hand calculating of mpg when I filled up last night. unless you ONLY drive city and keep if floored all the time, your computer/math is way off. you should get high 20's, low 30's easily.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:10 PM   #10
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
My computer is within 0.5% of true mpg and has been since day one. I see a tank-to-tank variation in hand calculated mpg that I conclude is due to a nominal +/-0.5 gallon variation in tank filling that results in a difference between the cars computer and hand calculation of +/- 3mpg.

But, if you're getting down near 20mpg you are either sitting in stop-and-go traffic all the time or you are playing street racer -- there's no way that normal driving would result in mpg that low.

My lifetime average is 38.8mpg and I just turned over 20,000 miles. The lifetime average of the cars computer is 38.6mpg so that makes the difference 0.5% -- pretty decent if you ask me.

Lastly, since you can have more than a +/- 0.5 gallon difference in tank filling you can't make much of the results until you're able to average several tanks, like 5 tanks average.

Brian

Bookmarks & Social Networks