SPI intake assembly - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
p58ff
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25247
What I Drive: 2010 Red 4-Door SES

FF Reputation: 1 p58ff Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
SPI intake assembly

The intake manifold assembly as most of you know is composed of two parts, the intake manifiold and the split-port injection part. I cannot remember it's proper name right now...sorry about that.

On the second part there is a screw that looks to be used to adjust some setting. Can some one enlighten me as to what it sets in the scheme of things?

Is it an idle setting, some sort of mixture adjustment?

I ask since I just replaced the cylinder head, cleaned out everything, and now I find the car is not quite right at idle. I didn't adjust the screw, actually it's bent pretty badly so I couldn't adjust it if I wanted too. I don't think this is related to my problem but I'd still like to know what it is for.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #2
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

Points 2,053, Level 27
Points: 2,053, Level: 27 Points: 2,053, Level: 27 Points: 2,053, Level: 27
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 88 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p58ff View Post
I cannot remember it's proper name right now...sorry about that.
Throttle body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p58ff View Post
Is it an idle setting, some sort of mixture adjustment?
Neither. It is simply a non-adjustable mechanical stop for the throttle plate movement. It does not control idle speed directly. Your car is fuel injected, not carbureted, so old school idle speed screws, idle speed jets and float bowl levels don't apply. If you do manage to move it (usually after removing a factory installed anti-tanper device), the PCM will simply compensate for any small changes you've made.

The PCM controls the idle speed via the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) using various engine sensors. Think of the IACV as a variable sized bypass hole or small passageway around the closed throttle plate. Modern engines use an IACV because idle speed is more accurately controlled by the PCM under a wide range of operating condition than it would be by an old style "fixed" - albeit manually adjustable - idle screw.

The Ford, or any modern system, relies on the throttle body and intake system being "air tight" for the system to work correctly - only air that passes the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor is used (metered air) for idle speed calculations by the PCM. Therefore, if you've had the thing to pieces and your idle is not inconsistent and low, you likely have a vacuum leak due to a loose fastener, loose clamp or perhaps a leaking or perished gasket somewhere after the MAF.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.