Budget Exhaust - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #1
TruePCs
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 80449
What I Drive: 01 Ford Focus ZX3 AT Purchased new

FF Reputation: 1 TruePCs Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Budget Exhaust

Have a 01 ZX3 automatic (Mrs cant drive stick), Bought it new and now the exhaust is leaking again. I say again as it has been welded and patched 4 times now, every time inspection comes along for the most part. But now the lunchbox is at the point of being unfixable and the pipes are getting bad too. Was looking around and the prices are high for stock systems but noticed some of the 'duck fart' cat back systems on ebay are more affordable $120-130.00. Has anyone tried them and how loud are they, don't mind a little sound but don't want it to sound like a tractor or sound real wrappy. We do drive normal and am not a racer anymore and am proud of getting 34 mpg in this 12 year old car. Price is the major issue as I had a heart attack not too long ago and am now unemployed and the Mrs is disabled.

Link to sample ebay system

PS did a search but it cam up with 120+ search pages.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013, 10:03 PM   #2
anarchy0392
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102873
What I Drive: 2002, Silver, SE

FF Reputation: 2 anarchy0392 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
If you want to sound like a Civic with a fart cannon that's a good choice. If you want one that sounds great and is cheap go to here. If you scroll down you will see the 2.5 aluminum ones that are only $265. They sound good you have a few options like borla and flowmaster and aren't cheap pos's like that ebay one.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:24 AM   #3
Fluffy6079
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 104589
What I Drive: 2002 Liquid Gray ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 Fluffy6079 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Back in December I was considering an eBay exhaust. There was actually a thread I was following at the time where a guy and his son bought one (I believe it was the BBR catback) and did a review. From what I remember, they said it fit well and sounded fine, but it had a huge tip.

After much debate, I went with a Magnaflow catback which was admittedly more expensive, but gave me the peace of mind that comes with buying from a credible manufacturer. Something else to keep in mind is that eBay kits are not typically made with real stainless steel and will end up rusting in areas that regularly salt the roads during the winter. So, in a few years you may just find yourself in the same boat you're currently in.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
TruePCs
Focus Rookie

Thanks for the reply's, Still up in the air, I would love to go with the 2.5" one anarchy0392 suggested but at over twice the price ($295.00) with shipping I will have to do some thinking. With that thought what is the difference in the mufflers? Borla, AeroTurbine, Magnaflow or Flowmaster, all the same price, any pros or cons?

Thanks Fluffy6079, will look for the review.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

FF Reputation: 20 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Mandrel exhaust systems hands down on a budget.

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes
Old 07-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #6
GhostTribute
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107929
What I Drive: 2001 Mazda Tribute (2.0L Zetec)

FF Reputation: 1 GhostTribute Good Standing Member
I always assumed that mandrel bent was more expensive than crush bent?????

Have you talked to any of the local muffler shops? They can usually bend up an aluminized mild steel exhaust fairly cheap..throw in a universal muffler and resonator and bob's your uncle. This is depending on where you live I guess.

The issues with the cheaper cat backs is that they are almost always loud due to the thin wall tubing and poor quality resonators and mufflers, or lack there of.

I installed one of the Magnaflow cat back systems on my Tribute (ZETEC powered) and it was pretty loud. The reason for this was that they did away with the resonator and only had the one muffler. I had to instal a universal resonator to bring it back to regular noise level.

So if you are looking to get a cheap exhaust that isn't loud. Make sure it has a long enough resonator and proper muffler. I'm sure you could buy a cheap ebay cat back and weld in a quality muffler/resonator fairly cheap... If you know how to weld or have a friend who can weld that is.

Who is doing the labour?
Old 07-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #7
Fluffy6079
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 104589
What I Drive: 2002 Liquid Gray ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 Fluffy6079 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
The Magnaflow I installed on my Focus isn't really loud. From what I understand, the cat does a whole lot of the muffling. I also don't have any other engine mods, so that might be part of it too.

Here's the thread I mentioned in my previous post:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295584

And here's the review I posted of my Magnaflow:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309532
Old 07-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #8
TruePCs
Focus Rookie

Thank you Fluffy6079 for the links, reading them as I type. I know the cat does a lot of muffling, Back in the day I bought a new 89 Mitsubishi 4 cyl 4x4 Mighty Max pickup. Ended up lifting it 6"+ (100% custom IFS suspension lift as they never made kits for this truck), ran 33 or 35" swampers (too long ago to remember, quite sure they were 35's) and made a custom straight pipe exhaust, that was loud but sounded good., sold the truck with 150k on it and still going strong, no idea what ever happened to it.

GhostTribute: I have signed off on the cheap ebay system, if I was just flipping the car I might have gone for it but like you and others said, they are just too cheap. As for the labor, I have numerous friends that have shops and or garages that are always willing to help, they all like working on this car, things always go so easy on it. I also know my way around as noted in the above paragraph. :)

Sorry for the drawn out story, it happens when you get old..er.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #9
GhostTribute
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107929
What I Drive: 2001 Mazda Tribute (2.0L Zetec)

FF Reputation: 1 GhostTribute Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffy6079 View Post
The Magnaflow I installed on my Focus isn't really loud. From what I understand, the cat does a whole lot of the muffling. I also don't have any other engine mods, so that might be part of it too.

Here's the thread I mentioned in my previous post:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295584

And here's the review I posted of my Magnaflow:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309532
Yeah I have a ram horn header, high flow cat and level 2 comp cams. so I can kind of see why mine might be louder than your install.

TruePCs,

Do any of your buddies have access to a tube bender?
Old 07-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #10
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

FF Reputation: 20 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
These are the people that I am talking about,

http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com/servlet/StoreFront

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes

Bookmarks & Social Networks