05 blower fan and resister question - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
ricknelson88
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116507
What I Drive: tan 05 focus

FF Reputation: 1 ricknelson88 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
05 blower fan and resister question

I'm having an issue with my blower working on all speeds for roughly 30 seconds and then it slowly peters out. If you wait a little bit it will start again and then do the same. I have replaced the blower and the resister.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013, 04:08 AM   #2
MEJY1988
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101883
What I Drive: 2006 Burgandy ZX5

FF Reputation: 3 MEJY1988 Good Standing Member
Did you check the wiring plug where it plugs into the resistor pack? They have been known to burn-up with the resistor pack. I would also check the one that plugs into the blower motor and switch.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:39 AM   #3
ricknelson88
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116507
What I Drive: tan 05 focus

FF Reputation: 1 ricknelson88 Good Standing Member
Yes I looked at it and it seems to look good. Tonight I think ill run a ground to the blower case. But I am sure up for any suggestions. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:07 PM   #4
MEJY1988
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101883
What I Drive: 2006 Burgandy ZX5

FF Reputation: 3 MEJY1988 Good Standing Member
IIRC the fan is feed hot thru a fuse/relay and picks up the negative/ground is feed thru the switch and resistor pack.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
RICK1TIMER
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 26087
FF Reputation: 1 RICK1TIMER Good Standing Member
I'm having the EXACT same problem. So far I just changed the resister so i guess i'll look elsewhere before changing the blower motor. If it was the fuse it would not work intermittently? there is a red plastic in the resister connector with NO discoloration??? I did smell a burning smell while trying to keep the fan going by continuing to turn fan on and off. I just don't get why it works for a minute or two and then slows to not blowing??? HELP
Old 07-13-2013, 08:56 AM   #6
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
First step for YOUR issue from the description would be to remove the blower motor, clean out any debris, check that it spins freely, then power it up with jumper leads from a battery & see how it runs by itself.

Without testing, it's all guessing, and that can cost $ without solving anything.

Luck!

S.R. #275
Old 07-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #7
RICK1TIMER
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 26087
FF Reputation: 1 RICK1TIMER Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK1TIMER View Post
I'm having the EXACT same problem. So far I just changed the resister so i guess i'll look elsewhere before changing the blower motor. If it was the fuse it would not work intermittently? there is a red plastic in the resister connector with NO discoloration??? I did smell a burning smell while trying to keep the fan going by continuing to turn fan on and off. I just don't get why it works for a minute or two and then slows to not blowing??? HELP
OK fixed mine... ended up being the blower motor. Here are the final steps i took.

1. Unplugged the connecter from the blower motor.
2. Turned ignition to run and and tested the current at connecter in all five fan speeds. 4=12.3, 3-1 were all less than the previous (as it should be coming through the resister.)
Because the fan was working in all fan positions and then stopping, I was concerned it was some thing other then the motor. So...
3. Plugged the motor back up and tested the blower as it went through its it's symptomatic run then fail after a minute or two. There was no change in current as the motor died.
4. Removed the blower motor and connected directly to the batter with some test leads. (Removing all other components in the circuit.) The motor failed after running for a few minutes just as it had while in the circuit. BAD MOTOR.

Bought a new one problem solved! The motor running and then cutting off had me second guessing myself and I didn't want to buy parts I didn't need.

Thanks All... the site had some great input.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->