FRPP installed: too much neg camber- bolts or arms? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-07-2013, 12:53 AM   #1
LensDriven
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 111184
What I Drive: 2006 Blk ZX4 SES, 2009 Blu Coupe SE

FF Reputation: 1 LensDriven Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
FRPP installed: too much neg camber- bolts or arms?

I got my frpp springs and dampers installed last Friday and went to the alignment shop today now it's settled some. Well, guess it settled a lot in 300 miles! My toe is ok- but I'm having issues with the neg camber that I wasn't when first installed.

As it is now, I'm at:

Front driver side: -0.7
Front pass side: -1.4
Rear driver side: -2.1
Rear pass side: -1.8

So I have some questions- the alignment shop obviously isn't familiar with this particular car, and me- I've never lowered a car before, so I'm looking for some advice vs what they're telling me.

Thier machine is wanting me to be at -0.7 on camber all the way around. And the recommended action for this is an adjustment to the front subframe that's suppose to take 1.5hrs? In addition to a recommendation of buying ford -/+ 1 degree rear camber arms at 1.5hr a side. So... $200 worth of parts plus labor at $94 an hour X 4.5hrs... Yeah, no.

I know a lot of people who have used this set up have needed at most camber bolts. Is it really nessisary that I do the camber arms? I found Geezer's specs for recommended -1.0 - -1.5 in the rear, wouldn't camber bolts put me within that, and the shop's recommend -0.7 isn't actually that optimal? If I can get away with just camber bolts, I might still need to have them install for me- what is the recommened amount of time it SHOULD take to do those (steeda has .5hrs listed?)? Not 1.5hr a side, right? I know the nut has to be ground off at the tack welds for the camber bolts to be used- including that?

Last- the front I know should be less neg camber- but adjusting the sub frame? Has anyone here had to do that?

The shop I've been going to for this is a corporate owned Goodyear- but I know the service and store managers. They're usually good about working with me if I can give them some better info than what thier computer recommends, and they're willing do what I ask as far as parts and different camber specs. But I didn't know for sure what to ask for- some info I can take in there with me would be really helpful.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
LensDriven
Focus Enthusiast

And *if* I had to buy arms- would anyone trust the $100 eBay kits?
Old 07-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
LensDriven
Focus Enthusiast

Anyone?
Old 07-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
justalilslow
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 59266
What I Drive: 05 gutted hatch

FF Reputation: 3 justalilslow Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Go with the spc arms, they are easy to work with and do not require removeing the welded on nut that the bolts would need. I have the Massive ones and if i could redo it I would not ever get them again with the poor clearance hitting the shock and the inserts for the bearing even when fully compressed where about 2mm to wide to fit back in the trailing arm. But the camber arms are a simple install that you can do in the drive way in less than 20 min per side.

For the front their is not many options, but K-Mac makes the best camber & castor kit you can get to bring in perfectly in spec.

I have been having great even tire wear on the last 5 sets of tires going with the 02-04 SVT specs.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
LensDriven
Focus Enthusiast

Those arms are still $200 and I still got to do the front and get it aligned... Which is why I was wondering about the bolts? $30 vs $200 - it's worth grinding the nut off to save that kind of cash. I'm not sure I'd have the same kind of issues- isn't my suspension a little different on the 09?

02-04 specs?
Old 07-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #6
justalilslow
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 59266
What I Drive: 05 gutted hatch

FF Reputation: 3 justalilslow Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Its all the same suspension stuff. But when you adjust the toe on the control arm it will also mess with the camber. Enough that the bolts might not be able to fully correct it since it has such a small window of adjustment.

For a while i was seting my camber with the lower control arm toe eccentric and using adjustable toe arms to correct the toe.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:52 PM   #7
LensDriven
Focus Enthusiast

Would these work too: Mazda 3 - 11 Mazda - 7 Ford Focus Black Rear Camber Kit Set 2Pc
http://amzn.com/B007XZJYQG ? Still need to try to save some cash.

I found thee how to on installing these. So... My problem is having only a slightly inclined driveway and no garage, is it safe to do this with only one tire up at a time? And yeah- stock bolts only?

And, what about the front camber? The ones you mentioned aren't listing for up to 09- plus they are $400!? trying to save money here. Shop was recommending against camber plates- kinda confused.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #8
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 22 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Well -1.8 on the rears would be fine imo (thats what i have mine set to) once you start gong above -2.2, then you will start to have more tire wear to worry about. Just rotate the tires every 4k and all will be well.

The SPC ones you linked to should work great and give you more range than you need, I have the same ones. You should be fine going with the lesser expensive camber bolts (Moogs $10/each) as well, you will need a grinder or cutoff wheel to remove the stock bolts and clean up the welds. I would not jack a car up on anything but a level surface though. Find a friend or a relative and ask to use their garage spot for a couple of hours. The arms are not that hard to install, just use some penetrating spray and plenty of elbow grease. Make sure you have some extensions for your wrench to reach the upper bolt.

More importantly, what is your toe set to? Having that out of spec would cause worse tire wear than the camber
Old 07-08-2013, 12:34 PM   #9
bringler26
FUBARCUS

Fan#: 59705
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 & 07 Impreza 2.5i

FF Reputation: 29 bringler26 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Don't worry about the camber. That is very close to what I have and I do not have wear problems with the toe set really close to 0*. I don't remember my exact specs are that I run because I haven't had the car aligned in over a year(its parked right now). My tires are evenly worn all the way across.
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
I always moderate naked!
Old 07-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #10
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 52 felixthecat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambleon84 View Post
Well -1.8 on the rears would be fine imo (thats what i have mine set to) once you start gong above -2.2, then you will start to have more tire wear to worry about. Just rotate the tires every 4k and all will be well.

The SPC ones you linked to should work great and give you more range than you need, I have the same ones. You should be fine going with the lesser expensive camber bolts (Moogs $10/each) as well, you will need a grinder or cutoff wheel to remove the stock bolts and clean up the welds. I would not jack a car up on anything but a level surface though. Find a friend or a relative and ask to use their garage spot for a couple of hours. The arms are not that hard to install, just use some penetrating spray and plenty of elbow grease. Make sure you have some extensions for your wrench to reach the upper bolt.

More importantly, what is your toe set to? Having that out of spec would cause worse tire wear than the camber
Quote:
Originally Posted by bringler26 View Post
Don't worry about the camber. That is very close to what I have and I do not have wear problems with the toe set really close to 0*. I don't remember my exact specs are that I run because I haven't had the car aligned in over a year(its parked right now). My tires are evenly worn all the way across.
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Have them set your rear toe at .010 per side & then zero for the front. I wouldn't sweat the camber. If you want to adjust some camber out of the rear get the bolts.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131

Bookmarks & Social Networks