crooked steering wheel? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-06-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
deapee
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116207
What I Drive: 2013 SE White Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 deapee Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
crooked steering wheel?

I think my steering wheel is crooked (13 se). Only have 450 miles, I've never even hit a pothole...

My 12 fiesta had a crooked wheel when I got it too but im starting to think itight be in my head. It seems like 50 percent of the time its fine but sometimes I need to go like a tiny bit to the right to keep it straight. It seems intermittent which sounds odd to me.

Anyway I adjusted my tire pressure this morning and it may have fixed it. The right rear was like 44...the rest were about 41. Do you think that could have been it? Also, the roads where I live seem to change slope every 20 feet so its really hard to tell.

Anyone else have an issue like this?

P.s. on my cell phone so sorry for grammar etc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #2
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,790, Level 32
Points: 2,790, Level: 32 Points: 2,790, Level: 32 Points: 2,790, Level: 32
Level Up 27% Completed
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%
Forum Activity 28%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%
FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
My car is the same way (except tilted to the left). I took it to the dealer for an alignment and they still gave me the "couldn't reproduce it" line. Just fix it and take my money. Jesus...
Old 07-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
joshuafail
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115261
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Silver SE w/MFT

Points 442, Level 8
Points: 442, Level: 8 Points: 442, Level: 8 Points: 442, Level: 8
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 9 joshuafail Good Standing Member
Same. Mine was tilted to the left the day I drove it off the lot with 20 miles on it. Had the dealer do a realignment under warranty, didn't fix it. I think the alignment tech was born with a crooked head..
Old 07-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #4
05_GT
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 111293
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST, Tuxedo Black

FF Reputation: 1 05_GT Good Standing Member
How tilted are we talking? If it's super minor, then it may just be the crown in the road if you need to turn it left.

2005 Mustang GT, Torch Red, 5R55S, Vortech V2 with a TON of other mods, VMP Tuned.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
joshuafail
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115261
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Silver SE w/MFT

Points 442, Level 8
Points: 442, Level: 8 Points: 442, Level: 8 Points: 442, Level: 8
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 9 joshuafail Good Standing Member
Crooked enough to make those of us with OCD go bonkers, not crooked enough for it to bother normal society.

This wouldn't be from a crown in the road, though- if I "center" the wheel where it should be on the road outside my work (flattest road around here), within half a mile I have small children and old ladies from the sidewalk flying across my hood and over my windshield.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #6
deapee
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116207
What I Drive: 2013 SE White Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 deapee Good Standing Member
Yeah...I do have ocd. That being said I think that equalizing the tire pressure fixed it. Like I said, the roads out here in the country pitch a different way every 10 feet or so.

And no, no normal person would notice this.

My only concern with an alignment would be making the total toe off side to side and introducing tire wear. I can deal with a degree off, which I don't even think it is any more...but I would assume ford sets the toe to a spec without a whole lot of risk in human error...maybe their spec even takes into consideration that the suspension will settle. So I'd rather not introduce that chance that human error could impact the life of my tires.

I think the pressure was so high because it was set in colder months. I probably bought a car that sat there since the winter or something. So as ambient went up, the pressure in the tires did too...and the difference in pressure in the rear made the lower pressure tire much more 'responsive' to changes in the road surface pattern, or more affected by the different resistances of that road surface...because lower pressure increases rolling resistance.

Sent from my Note II using FF Mobile
Old 07-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #7
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Points 2,790, Level 32
Level Up 27% Completed
Forum Activity 28%
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuafail View Post
Crooked enough to make those of us with OCD go bonkers, not crooked enough for it to bother normal society.

This wouldn't be from a crown in the road, though- if I "center" the wheel where it should be on the road outside my work (flattest road around here), within half a mile I have small children and old ladies from the sidewalk flying across my hood and over my windshield.
Half a mile!? At 65mph it takes about 2 seconds for my right tire to drift into the next lane.

EDIT: After owning this car, I find that it's getting difficult for me to separate what is normal for the rest of society and when it's my OCD kicking in. I have to readjust my steering wheel on the highway like every 4 seconds. Maybe it's the crown, maybe it's the steering rack.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #8
Wendell G
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115475
What I Drive: 2012 White SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Wendell G Good Standing Member
When you say "crooked" Do you mean that, when you are driving straight down the road, the steering wheel isn't perfectly straight (i.e not perfectly horizontal) ? What happens, when you let go of the steering wheel? Does the car pull to one side or the other? If not then the alignment is good. Sounds like the steering wheel needs to be "Re-Clocked"

I had a Grand Cherokee that was like this, drove me crazy until I re-clocked the steering wheel.

Good luck.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #9
c5karl
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105687
What I Drive: 2013 Hatchback SE, 5-speed, silver

Points 64, Level 1
Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 c5karl Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_GT View Post
How tilted are we talking? If it's super minor, then it may just be the crown in the road if you need to turn it left.
If indeed the road crown is affecting steering feel, you should have the dealer take a look. According to Edmunds (and other sources): "... Ford's EPS system is programmed to auto-correct for crosswinds and extreme road crown so you don't have to crank in any steering to drive straight in such conditions."

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/t...alkaround.html

My '13 hatchback tracks straight & true. Sounds like something is amiss with your car.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #10
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Points 2,790, Level 32
Level Up 27% Completed
Forum Activity 28%
Quote:
Originally Posted by c5karl View Post
If indeed the road crown is affecting steering feel, you should have the dealer take a look. According to Edmunds (and other sources): "... Ford's EPS system is programmed to auto-correct for crosswinds and extreme road crown so you don't have to crank in any steering to drive straight in such conditions."

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/t...alkaround.html

My '13 hatchback tracks straight & true. Sounds like something is amiss with your car.
I was under the same impression, but the dealership doesn't seem to think so. Ugh, I just KNOW I'm going to have to replace my rack out-of-pocket after 125k miles and it kills me that my extended warranty is only good when a component physically breaks in half and not any irregularities/noises/vibrations that come along prior to the break.

EDIT: My steering rack has some dark/dusty stuff on the front of it facing the engine/exhaust... is that normal? I'll take a picture for you guys.

Bookmarks & Social Networks