[2001 Ford Focus ZX3 DOHC 2.0L] Transmission shift tower (not the shift linkage) arm broke - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #1
Oblivion
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92148
What I Drive: 2001 Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 3 Oblivion Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
[2001 Ford Focus ZX3 DOHC 2.0L] Transmission shift tower (not the shift linkage) arm broke

Hello.

I do not know what it's called.
I do not have a picture (or my camera, or even my car now) of it.
I know where it's at, and I know it's function.

The gear selecting mechanism is the best way to describe it.
Where the shift link (transmission side) ends. The weighted ball of metal.
The bolt that is welded(?) on there snapped off. It gets spun in a circle to change through the gears (1, 2 | 3, 4 | 5, R).
The left-to-right shifting mechanism still works fine, and isn't damaged in any way.
The top-to-bottom shifting mechanism (the metal stud) sheered itself off.

Is it a replaceable part?
Does it have a name?
Does it have a part number?

If it isn't replaceable: Would epoxy be strong enough to hold a piece of metal so I can still shift my vehicle?
If it isn't replaceable: Would it be possible to get someone to weld (while on the vehicle) some metal there to extend the metal stud out so it'll function properly again?

Thanks. Sorry for the poor description.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
Oblivion
Focus Enthusiast

Hello. I think I have the name of the part now (or possibly a better description of the issue).
- http://www.justanswer.com/ford/30yfm...20k-miles.html

I believe it is #8 (Transaxle gearshift lever). The one that physically shifts it into gear (not the 1/2, 3/4, 5/R selector).
Transmission side - NOT on the interior of the cab. It is not on the interior of the transmission either. It is on the exterior shell (right below the battery bucket / motor mount).

There is a piece of metal with a hammer shaped piece of metal / rubber.
That weight is to smooth the shifts out I believe. But that's kind of irrelevant to the problem.

The device has a ball that connects directly into the shift linkage (the shift linkage has an "O" mold of plastic).
There is another hole, and that I think sits around a metal stud that comes out of the transmission.
That stud is sheered off. From what little I remember: It should spin it in a circle to shift into the gear (1/2 & 3/4 & 5/R).
Old 07-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #3
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Swore there was a How-To on this, hell if I can find it. Something about Broken Shift Lever fix er somethin.

This maybe, http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304574
Old 07-06-2013, 04:14 AM   #4
Oblivion
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell View Post
Swore there was a How-To on this, hell if I can find it. Something about Broken Shift Lever fix er somethin.

This maybe, http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304574
Thank you, iminhell.

I believe that is exactly what my problem is.

The "shift arm(?)" (rubber mallet thing) somehow was sheared right off the shaft of the "(transmission) shift tower."

After some research, I believe that, that's what the parts I was looking at were.

Based on that walk through: I should be able to do it in the parking lot that the vehicle is stuck in.
I should not have to remove the transmission in any way, yes? I have a ('fake') scissor jack in the back of the vehicle.
It has never been used before (came out of a 2013 Ford Focus that was wrecked. LOL).

Do you think someone could spot-weld it for me in the parking lot? If nothing else: It would be a band-aid for now.
I do not have ~$200 lying around for an entirely new shift tower to be replaced. Along with a ~$350 clutch kit. And ~$40 serpentine belt.
The motor mounts can wait (all but the dog-bone torque mount, which should be good still).

Thanks again for the reply!!!!!
Old 07-09-2013, 02:14 AM   #5
Oblivion
Focus Enthusiast

Hello.

This past afternoon ('yesterday') I was able to pull apart EVERYTHING!
I bought an 18" 1/2-drive breaker bar, and got the transmission mount off (with MUCH effort, and penetrating oil).

I was able to finally see the shifting tower up close (and I removed it as well).
From the looks of it: It is exactly as I had assumed (unless I'm seeing something)!

There is a bolt (30mm) that runs through the goldish metal, that the ball end of the shift linkage cable hooks up to (I think..... Not entirely sure).
The selector (1/2, 3/4, 5/R) works fine (you can push down, or pull up on the turret head still).
The gear shifter (to put it INTO a gear) is what's broken off. I still have the 'shift arm' part.
I'm assuming (not entirely sure yet) you tighten a nut behind the 'shift arm' onto the threaded bolt.

The only pictures I've seen of a properly functioning one are the ones from above:
- http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/9822/tower28cq.jpg (black rubber thing is a "SHIFT ARM"; I don't know HOW it connects)
- http://img358.imageshack.us/img358/3...erextra4el.jpg (again: Black rubber is a "SHIFT ARM" and the angle isn't right to see here either)
- http://img358.imageshack.us/img358/6...nstall31en.jpg (can't see it here either)
- http://img358.imageshack.us/img358/4...mplete20xv.jpg (Here you MIGHT see it... but it's too grainy, and not quite the right angle; Black rubber is the "SHIFT ARM")

And right now, my only problem is removing this part:
- http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/6871/linkage15uy.jpg

That ball is supposed to have a "release button" but I can't seem to get it to trigger.
Maybe I am too weak or just at a bad angle to really have the power to pull them apart (it's a pretty cramped work space).

Last edited by Oblivion; 07-09-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:25 PM   #6
Oblivion
Focus Enthusiast

OK! I have successfully removed the shift linkage cable (pushed down on the orange "waffle" clip, and it popped off like a charm with slight torque)!

Here is an "album" on imgur of the shifting tower; It looks like the shifting arm WAS welded on originally.
- http://imgur.com/a/jp45d#0 (there are four images)

If someone could confirm of whether or not it's WELDED on, or if there's a metal stud or something else, it'd be EXTREMELY appreciated!

Thanks a bunch. :)
Old 07-12-2013, 02:11 AM   #7
Oblivion
Focus Enthusiast

It can be welded back to perfection.

It actually shifted perfect. No resistance anywhere. Just like it was brand new.

However: I managed to destroy the weld job while attempting to reposition the transmission to align with the tranny-mount.

I'll post some pictures and/or a video when I find my camera (I think it's in my car somewhere).
Old 07-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #8
Oblivion
Focus Enthusiast

Here are 11 pictures of me pulling apart my shifting tower from start to end.
After actually going to a junk yard, and pulling apart the same exact year/vehicle: I've noticed a few differences in screw sizes (just one or two).

Here are the images (the last 4 are close ups of inside the transmission):
- http://imgur.com/a/EjR4S#0

Here's the text that I'd jotted down (on the notepad on the engine):
  • Disconnect the MAF sensor
  • x2 10mm terminal connectors
  • x2 "fake screws" for plastic air intake
  • x1 1/4 socket for throttle-body tube/air box
  • x1 10mm battery strap tie-down screw
  • x1 10mm on battery bucket
  • x1 13mm on battery bucket
  • x1 10mm on air box 'bucket frame' (support transmission from below now)
  • x1 13mm on air box 'bucket frame'
  • x4 15mm on TRANSMISSION MOUNT
  • x1 21mm on TRANSMISSION MOUNT
  • x3 18mm on 'transmission spider' (triangle)
  • x6 10mm on transmission shifting tower plate
  • Disconnect the reverse-gear sensor
  • Time: ~40 minutes
  • Cost: $0 for tools, labor, training
Old 10-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #9
Covmister
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89659
What I Drive: 2001 white zx3

FF Reputation: 3 Covmister Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Hiiiiii! Omg I think this is what's up with my transmission. The part that the cable goes on" hammer looking part" has a little cylindrical piece that fits in the selector shaft correct??? Is that what broke? Mine has a lot of plsy and I through around the idea of weldng it to the hammer looking piece.... Any input????
Old 07-24-2014, 01:32 PM   #10
Oblivion
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covmister View Post
Hiiiiii! Omg I think this is what's up with my transmission. The part that the cable goes on" hammer looking part" has a little cylindrical piece that fits in the selector shaft correct??? Is that what broke? Mine has a lot of plsy and I through around the idea of weldng it to the hammer looking piece.... Any input????
Wow! I never got an e-mail notice for this reply. Sorry.
I'm sure you've fixed it (considering it's ALMOST been a year), but, just in case:

Yes. That cylinder is where the shifting cable snaps on (O-ring).
That doesn't take much stress at all when shifting, so it should be able to get welded on.

The 2nd weld (after I broke the first weld) for the 'hammer' (counter-weight) actually broke after a week.
I shifted REAL hard on accident, and the stress from the vibration (2 bad mounts) finally cracked it off.

I ended up paying $15 from a junk yard for a BRAND NEW shifting turret.
The turret was from a 20k mile manual 2002 Ford Focus, with a totaled rear-end.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->