Cold Air Intake Issue/MIL - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-05-2013, 12:10 AM   #11
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Fan#: 85425
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

Points 4,322, Level 41
Points: 4,322, Level: 41 Points: 4,322, Level: 41 Points: 4,322, Level: 41
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG_MK3 View Post
Oh yeah, I wouldn't lie.. I was told that the computer can go on and see everything from driving habits to oil changes.
The black box probably does, but the regular systems that the dealership would access probably doesnt.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2013, 01:16 AM   #12
Deesiel678
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105147
What I Drive: 2013 white SE hatch

Points 533, Level 10
Points: 533, Level: 10 Points: 533, Level: 10 Points: 533, Level: 10
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 Deesiel678 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Hey guys! Not sure if this has happened to anyone else yet or not, but last night as I was driving home my car was struggling to work through the gears and I had hardly any throttle response at all. I knew that it was not a dct issue and more of a MAF sensor problem so I pulled over and I noticed it would not hold an idle so I shut it off. At this point the CEL is NOT on.

I popped the hood and the filter was laying in the heat shield, so i tightened it down. When I started the car I let it idle for a few minutes to re-calibrate the MAF sensor but as soon as I drove away the MIL illuminated, but the car is driving with absolutely no problems. Has this issue happened to anyone yet?

I have not cleared or read the code because I was told by a friend that if the problem is fixed it will turn off by itself.. And I know what the problem was, and fixed it right away. Also read somewhere online that if you clear the code with a diagnostic tool it looks bad for future warranty work.
I had the same thing happen to me with my k&n typhoon intake. My car still drove like crap for a little while after I put the filter back on. I datalogged and noticed it was running very lean (like 16.x - 17.x!) during partial throttle cruising. After I noticed that, I parked it and drove my other vehicle for a while until I put my stock airbox back on. AFRs are ok now with the stock box back on. I've decided to trade out of it so the typhoon wont be going back on.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:09 AM   #13
TCOC rel1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105626
What I Drive: 2014 ST Ticket Red

Points 605, Level 12
Points: 605, Level: 12 Points: 605, Level: 12 Points: 605, Level: 12
Level Up 10% Completed
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 0 TCOC rel1 Newbie
You crushed the MAF when you installed the typhoon.

Sorry
*snorkel delete, K&N E-2993, 1 1/4" New Mission Mod* ~2.5" Custom exhaust 12226 MagnaFlow muffler~ ^AMSOIL^ #93 Octane# ^Injected Engineering tune^

@2nd car 10th Gen Ford Lightning 445 HP@
Old 07-05-2013, 03:13 AM   #14
MG_MK3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114522
What I Drive: 2013 Blue Candy Focus Hatchback SE

Points 483, Level 9
Points: 483, Level: 9 Points: 483, Level: 9 Points: 483, Level: 9
Level Up 66% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 0 MG_MK3 Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCOC rel1 View Post
You crushed the MAF when you installed the typhoon.

Sorry
No my maf isn't crushed, I'm pretty sure...
Instagram @miKeyGilmore #MK3SLöCUS
Old 07-05-2013, 03:16 AM   #15
MG_MK3
Focus Enthusiast

Points 483, Level 9
Level Up 66% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deesiel678 View Post
I had the same thing happen to me with my k&n typhoon intake. My car still drove like crap for a little while after I put the filter back on. I datalogged and noticed it was running very lean (like 16.x - 17.x!) during partial throttle cruising. After I noticed that, I parked it and drove my other vehicle for a while until I put my stock airbox back on. AFRs are ok now with the stock box back on. I've decided to trade out of it so the typhoon wont be going back on.
Yes even with the light out I am still kinda worried about it all... I was told this was a lean engine to begin with and that's why the car responded so well to the cai mods... May go back to stock soon though.

My car is running pretty good now though and the light has remained of since I put the filter on tighter... We shall see.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:15 AM   #16
Seminoles
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98405
What I Drive: 2012 SGM SE Sedan

Points 957, Level 16
Points: 957, Level: 16 Points: 957, Level: 16 Points: 957, Level: 16
Level Up 57% Completed
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 Seminoles Good Standing Member
Quote:
Yes even with the light out I am still kinda worried about it all... I was told this was a lean engine to begin with and that's why the car responded so well to the cai mods... May go back to stock soon though.

My car is running pretty good now though and the light has remained of since I put the filter on tighter... We shall see.
The only thing I have read about this CAI is when over tightened to keep the filter on it will crack the plastic flow meter housing this is why some others have an aluminum housing that you put your MAF in. Just the filter falling off should not cause the engine to go into limp mode sounds like what happened to you. Look for a cracks between flow meter and throttle body or a lose hose or hole in one that could have sealed up when moving the unit around to replacing the filter. Just take negative cable off battery for a few minutes will reset codes and once gone there gone for good. Happened to me wanted the dealer to get the code so I could get a new trans it would jerk like not all the way into gear so hard it broke the power wire killing all power no luck now I'll have to live with it until it brakes. Next time you start the car make sure the check engine light comes on with key on before starting engine just in case bulb burned out shouldn't have in this short time but never know these days.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #17
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Points 4,322, Level 41
Level Up 86% Completed
Forum Activity 7%
Quote:
I was told this was a lean engine to begin with
This was somewhat disproven in the torque logs thread, AFRs at WOT were 11.8-12.2 on 3 different cars with different sets of mods
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=319243
Old 07-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #18
MattKoch89
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 115244
What I Drive: 2012 Focus

FF Reputation: 1 MattKoch89 Good Standing Member
I bought the steeda CAI not too long ago and installed it with no problems. Driving around with it for a couple weeks but it seems to be struggling just like you stated right around 60mph. Only when I get on the gas though. Everything looks fine under the good and wa properly installed. No check engine light or anything like that. runs perfectly fine unless im hard on it (which i havent been lately bcuz Of this). Any suggestions? Baby the car until a tune is available for the automatic?
Old 07-07-2013, 03:24 AM   #19
MG_MK3
Focus Enthusiast

Points 483, Level 9
Level Up 66% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKoch89 View Post
I bought the steeda CAI not too long ago and installed it with no problems. Driving around with it for a couple weeks but it seems to be struggling just like you stated right around 60mph. Only when I get on the gas though. Everything looks fine under the good and wa properly installed. No check engine light or anything like that. runs perfectly fine unless im hard on it (which i havent been lately bcuz Of this). Any suggestions? Baby the car until a tune is available for the automatic?
Well there is tuning now from injected.. You can use it on your auto with no issues, the auto tune will just make your auto shift better...

I think our cars are getting to much air with the cai, making them run sluggish.

I'm going to call kn when I get a day off and see if I can have something to mount into the maf sensor vs just the filter on it. Also going to ask if they'll buy me a new engine if ford proves the kn made it blow up lol ;)
Old 07-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #20
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Points 4,322, Level 41
Level Up 86% Completed
Forum Activity 7%
Quote:
I think our cars are getting to much air with the cai, making them run sluggish.
How are they getting more air? The K&N doesn't add new inlets it uses the stock ones.

I did the newmission mod on a steeda crammed in a stock box and I do not have any of the issues with sluggishness. So there is a lot of air going into my engine. Are we talking about cruising or WOT, I have torque data for my MAF CFM for both, cruising at 60 seems to average around 180CFM on my setup under WOT 500-800CFM

The MAF should be able to compensate for more air flow by dumping more fuel into the cylinders, and more power.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.