New Secret Start/Traction Control Kill Switch. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-12-2004, 12:45 AM   #1
Alex52686
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 13382
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Alex52686 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Lightbulb New Secret Start/Traction Control Kill Switch.

Hi guys. I think I finaly figure it out and I beleive I can kill two birds with one stone. I originaly planned on making my cigarette lighter work as my traction control switch but decided I wanted to use my cig. lighter as a starter disengage swicth also. I dont like having a switch on my fuse box cover like everyone else does so I decided I'm going to make both work off the cig. lighter. Using a single pull double throw relay(A DPDT will also work I think). And slightly customising my cig lighter. I'm going to use the existing power going to the cig. lighter as the operational current because If you use the starter signal (as normaly done when making a starter kill switch) the relay will be open as soon as u stop starting the car hence no traction control ever. But with the cig. lighter power operating the SPDT relay the citcut will remain closed if the lighter is pushed in and the traction control will be engaged. To customise the lighter u have to cut out the heating coil and then cunect the outer wall to the center prong some how. because the solder wouldn't stick the cig lighters walls for a simple wire, what I did was place a small nut inside the lighter and soldered the entire top off it so its flush. I know to many this might soud like gibirish but If it works I will try making a wiring diagram. SOOO theoreticaly in order to start the car you must push in the cig lighter and if you want to disengage the TC, once the car is started you pull out the cig lighter. I have only customised the lighter with the nut and solder so far and plan on wiring the relay this week. I will report weather my crazy contraption causes my car to spontaniously combust or not........WISH ME LUCK

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2004, 12:55 AM   #2
Jamere
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 16553
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black Svt Focus, 2003 Sunset Orange 350ZTouring

FF Reputation: 1 Jamere Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Buy MANY, MANY, MANY, CIG. Lighters! Lose one and you're Stuck! Good Luck!
Old 12-12-2004, 01:22 AM   #3
Alex52686
Focus Enthusiast

any regular cig lighter will start the car. But traction conrol and ABS wont stay engaged because once lighter heats up it will pop out, braking the circut. I already have a spare because I have a billet aluminum SVT lighter. I also have two sockets so I can still plug in cell phone.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:30 PM   #4
Adam A
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 16569
What I Drive: Focus ST170

FF Reputation: 1 Adam A Good Standing Member
Alex,

Sorry to hijack this thread slightly, but how did you fit a 2nd lighter? I use 1 permanently for a radar detector, so a 2nd one would be particularly useful.

Cheers

[url=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7940595936&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT]Pipercross for sale[/url]
Old 12-12-2004, 03:38 PM   #5
Alex52686
Focus Enthusiast

Car came like that. I have one in the dash area and one on the passanger side of the center console area. You should hard wire your radar detector and free up the lighter.
Old 12-12-2004, 05:45 PM   #6
Jamere
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 16553
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black Svt Focus, 2003 Sunset Orange 350ZTouring

FF Reputation: 1 Jamere Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex52686
Car came like that. I have one in the dash area and one on the passanger side of the center console area. You should hard wire your radar detector and free up the lighter.
So did mine, ADAM got ripped!
Old 12-12-2004, 06:31 PM   #7
Alex52686
Focus Enthusiast

LOL I guess so...Actualy I beleive the extra ciagrette lighter was an option.
Old 12-19-2004, 01:09 PM   #8
Alex52686
Focus Enthusiast

Well I mounted my $50 heavy duty relay (I mean free thanx to dad's job) but I hit a little snag. I can't seem to easily find the starter signal and traction control wires! I dont want to stick wires into the fuse panel, I want to actualy splice into the wires. Can anyone help me idetify these wires?
Old 12-19-2004, 06:15 PM   #9
Alex52686
Focus Enthusiast

I DID IT!!!!!!!! It works like a dream and it was easier than I thought. I started by splicing the negative wire of the cigarette lighter and conneting the end coming from the lighter to the positive end of the relay input (coil operating input). I then ran the remaing wire to the negative relay ouput(coil operating output). I then decided that rather than find the starter signal wire coming from the column (royal pain in the ass) I simply wired the clutch signal wires (red and black wires on left hand side of clutch) to the coresponding relay inputs and ouputs that are normaly open. Since the clutch needs to be depressed to start the car the relay interupts the signal that the clutch is depressed and hence no start. And finaly for the traction control, I gave in on finding the wire coming out of the fuse panel and just used the standered technique for wiring a TC kill switch except wired it to the relay. And thats it! I tried her out and she worked like a charm. I bolted the relay base to the metal fuse panel housing as seen in the picture. Besides the wires for the TC kill switch (witch I'm not happy about) I still think it looks very professional.

Just base with out relay plugged in:

With relay plugged into base:

Last edited by Alex52686; 12-20-2004 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-19-2004, 07:10 PM   #10
SVTuner03
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 16668
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch black

FF Reputation: 1 SVTuner03 Good Standing Member
no one likes toggle switches, huh?

Bookmarks & Social Networks