Why Automakers Should Stop the Infotainment Arms Race - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #31
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey View Post
I agree with these two gentlemen and beleive there should be a universal software to use ios.or andriod with... If only they would come together and write a small software to deliver this.. Hell wtf am i saying google and apple are not the end all be all i hope something cool will come from ford opening up there system to third party companies and my neighbors neighbor son in law can write a program and start and new company.
Honestly, if you want to have an infinitely up-gradable non-proprietary infotainment system you only need two things in your car, a dock for your phone and an amplifier with a Bluetooth receiver attached to it.

That's it!

If you follow the Pi Link instructions I put up on diyivi.com, skip the touchscreen and WiFi stuff, and set up the Pi to be a simple Bluetooth audio sink, that's all you'd really need.

Or...you could just go buy this for around $30 -> http://www.amazon.com/HomeSpot-NFC-e...tooth+receiver

Last edited by oritpro; 07-09-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #32
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

Points 3,791, Level 38
Points: 3,791, Level: 38 Points: 3,791, Level: 38 Points: 3,791, Level: 38
Level Up 94% Completed
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman View Post
Apple purposely shuns industry standards in favor of proprietary solutions so they can sell more merch and lock up customers. Ask yourself why your iphone had thunderbolt in place of usb as just one example
*sigh*

Time and time again, Apple has stated that when the industry standard isn't the best possible solution, they will use something better. For instance, Thunderbolt is much faster and more robust than USB 3.0.

What does it say about the industry when almost every company is out there using hardware that is "just enough" instead of using the absolute best?

I don't know, maybe everyone just has poor taste? Maybe everyone likes their cheap crap?

And to set it straight, Thunderbolt is proprietary to Intel. Apple uses Thunderbolt because it is the I/O of choice for professionals who actually need the fastest possible connections. Falcon Ridge Thunderbolt has speeds up to 20Gb/s, why don't you tell me why Apple uses proprietary connectors?

It's pretty obvious you have a personal vendetta against anything with Apple's name on it. If you want to keep trolling, I'll be more than happy to continue putting you in your place.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:19 PM   #33
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

Points 1,664, Level 23
Points: 1,664, Level: 23 Points: 1,664, Level: 23 Points: 1,664, Level: 23
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 6 slybarman Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.mogul View Post
*sigh*

It's pretty obvious you have a personal vendetta against anything with Apple's name on it. If you want to keep trolling, I'll be more than happy to continue putting you in your place.
Uh huh - me and the rest of the tech media . . . and it had NOTHING at all to do with selling you pricey new cables. Boy are you blind - musta been the kool aid.

http://www.dailytech.com/Former+Appl...ticle27769.htm

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31322_3-57...id-yourselves/

http://pocketnow.com/2012/10/02/ligh...onnector-awful
Old 07-09-2013, 09:32 PM   #34
Userdenied
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116334
What I Drive: '13 Black Ti Hatch 5-Speed

Points 813, Level 15
Points: 813, Level: 15 Points: 813, Level: 15 Points: 813, Level: 15
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 5 Userdenied Good Standing Member
Quote:
Apple is spearheading the correct approach with iOS 7 where it basically takes over the in-car A/V and Apple has done all the work on UI to work flawlessly with their mobile platform.
All of the arguing about who makes the best smartphone aside... I have a question about your statement pertaining iOS 7 as I currently have an iPhone 5.

Do you have a link to any articles talking more about Apple's goals with said integration? I'm very interested to learn where this might be going and how fast. Also is iOS 7 giving special attention to MFT specifically?
Old 07-09-2013, 10:42 PM   #35
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Points 3,791, Level 38
Level Up 94% Completed
Forum Activity 6%
The information is available on Apple's website.

Ford is not working with Apple at this time, so don't expect any type of Siri or iOS integration for the next few years.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:09 PM   #36
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Points 3,791, Level 38
Level Up 94% Completed
Forum Activity 6%
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman View Post
Uh huh - me and the rest of the tech media . . . and it had NOTHING at all to do with selling you pricey new cables. Boy are you blind - musta been the kool aid.
Okay let's keep going then.

The lightning connector is many things that micro usb is not:
1. Lightning is smaller
2. Lightning is reversible
3. Lightning is made of higher quality parts which reduce noise and prevent unsafe voltages from reaching your phone (and your fingers)

But maybe you're careless and those features don't mean anything to you.

Consider this then...
What does lightning do that micro usb can't do?
Lightning can sync, charge, and stream HD video all at once. Micro usb cannot do that.

It's almost like you don't know anything about technology. Your "Tech media" is so busy reporting about how annoying it is that Apple doesn't conform to the crappy standards that they fail to mention how much better Apple's cable is compared to every competitor.

The Samsung Galaxy S-III has a port that charges, syncs, and plays video but its bigger, flimsier, costs more to replace, and is... you guessed it.. proprietary and non-standard.

If I'm drinking Apple's kool-aid, your "Tech Media" must have you hooked up to a feeding tube.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:29 AM   #37
slybarman
Focus Addict

Points 1,664, Level 23
Level Up 64% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Lightning can sync, charge, and stream HD video all at once. Micro usb cannot do that.
LOL. Those are the big features? Sync? What year is this that you are still plugging in and doing sync over a cable to a PC? The rest of us went wireless to the cloud some time ago. Stream video? We do that wireless as well. But, the 1x a year I want to do it via a cable, I use an mhl to hdmi adapter - like when I stream my kids movies in hd to a hotel room tv. I Didn't notice a thunderbolt plug on the back of the tv though - odd. Charging? We can do that wireless too - though I don't. Apple spent a lot of time on the absolute perfect cord, while the rest of the industry moved toward ditching the cord - you know . . . MOBILE device.

The real features you got are added cost and drm to help keep you handcuffed to their ecosysytem. Apple wants it to be painful for customers to leave - and so it is. Knowledgeable people not already singing from Apple's guilded cage, dont want Apple anywhere near their car.

I know you picked this very minor example out of a much longer post because you though there was a small chance you knew what you were talking about, but the point was you were on your soap box calling for standardization while ignoring the fact that the white knight you hope we fix the problem refuses to follow industry standards. Tell me all you want about how awesome your expensive charging cable is, but that underlying fact won't change.

I am done bantering with you. Unsubscribe.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using FF Mobile.

Last edited by slybarman; 07-10-2013 at 07:27 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:00 AM   #38
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Points 3,791, Level 38
Level Up 94% Completed
Forum Activity 6%
Your mhl to hdmi adapter is proprietary to Samsung (I just said that, didn't I?)
And you're ignoring the fact that you can stream and sync iOS devices wirelessly as well, but the lightning connector does it, too, should you want to place your phone or device in a dock to charge it while it plays on the TV.

What minor example? What longer post? You haven't said anything I haven't addressed.

I'm glad you're done bantering because much more of your asinine comments and I'm quite certain I would have died from laughter.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #39
LouBomb
It was all a DREAM!

Fan#: 32545
What I Drive: A magical pony by the name of Sally

Points 10,813, Level 68
Points: 10,813, Level: 68 Points: 10,813, Level: 68 Points: 10,813, Level: 68
Level Up 91% Completed
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 9 LouBomb Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Wow the hate towards a particular company just baffles me... I can't count how many devices I've had in the past 5 years... At least 15 different smartphones, and all across different brands. I've owned every generation IPhone, had every Evo lineup, Gs1,Gs2,Gs3, shoot I had the treo and palm series phones as well.. I can even date back to the sidekick... Want to know what I learn? Other companies clutter their phones with gadgets and tweaks that people use in rare occasions... Yet people solely buy these phones based off those tweaks.. It's ridiculous...

A lot of people also blame Apple for suing everyone and trying to monopolize the market.. Yet Samsung has plenty lawsuits out there trying to prevent Apple from selling particular products... Shit they just won a suit where they are preventing Apple to sell a particular model of the IPhone.. So enough banter on patent suits...

As far as hardware... The only android base phone that impressed me with the ease of functionality and smoothness, was the Google Nexus 4... Samsung should of took some lessons from them because the new GS4 is quite possibly the worst device they've released. They have serious bugs they need to kink out.. Luckily it's a OS issue and not hardware...

What apple does is create a phone that is accessible to everyone. And the ease of functionality applies to all ages.. If you want your Idevice to do more? Well... You can just jailbreak it.. Just like you can add custom Roms on the android devices..

One thing that has made Apple the company that it is today.. It's the attention it gives its customers..

I've gone in the Apple Store for an issue that my phone has had. And they inspect for water damage. If it passes.. I get a brand new phone.. Done it 3 times... My cable went bad? No questions asked here's a new one...simple things like that help corner market.

The iPhone wasn't designed to wow you with gadgets and tweaks. It was the simplification of technology in a handheld.. That allows you to do what everyone does without breaking a sweat.... Remember when simple was more? People walking around with a Galaxy Note 2 bolstered to their belt remind me of how my car looked in 2001 with the evo body kit and midwing... It appealed to kids and people that liked gaudy things.. Sadly me being one of em (then) lol

┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐

Because Street Car
Focus Revolution Club
Formely IMPORTKILLA35
Old 07-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #40
slybarman
Focus Addict

Points 1,664, Level 23
Level Up 64% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Forget it. I'm done.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using FF Mobile.

Bookmarks & Social Networks