Why Automakers Should Stop the Infotainment Arms Race - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #21
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oritpro View Post
I think I see a friendship forming here. :D
Perfect candidates for a remake of The Odd Couple!
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #22
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 6 slybarman Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.mogul View Post
It makes perfect sense. As you post from your Galaxy Bloat 2; It's clear you are not a fan of Apple regardless of the fact that their actions clearly have no direct impact on your life.

Maybe if Apple products were a bit bulkier and came with a stylus you'd like them more and the argument would be moot....
I have nothing against Apple products but they aren't a good fit for me personally at this time. I do not need my hand held and my technology spoon fed. However, a large percentage of people clearly do. If my 80 year old mother or my brother in law had the potential for anything more than an app drawer on their homescreen, or had more than one button to press, their heads would explode and they would surely screw something up. There are a zillion teenage girls in the same boat. In that regard, Apple makes perfect products for that market segment and their 'dumbing down' of smartphones and MP3 players, etc has made them very successful and given them a loyal following. It has made many a techno-tard feel safe and secure and given rise to the "it just works" mantra.

Back in '86 or '87 (i forget which) I bought the first Mac 128k to replace my decade old TRS-80 Model 1. Later I upgraded to the Mac 512 and had the dot matrix printer, 2400 baud modem and connected to some BBS' and it was hot shit back in the day. Compared to DOS, I was pretty excited over Apple's dumbing down of the PC. At that time though, options were pretty limited. As other platforms evolved, I found the Mac's closed architecture to be far more of a hinderance than a help and eventually left for other pastures. I find the same closed architecture and tight-ass ecosystem to be undesirable today for the same reasons.

My description of Apple's business practices of late are accurate. They are bad for the industry and consumers as a whole. They are also proving not to be successful for Apple in the long term. Jobs got his butt hurt over an IP fight with another company (Seagate maybe? can't recall) and launched his scorched earth policy of patenting absolutely everything whether Apple truly invented it or not. They got away with this approach only because the patent system is broken and the USPTO is too lazy to do its homework on the front end and too scared to invalidate too many patents it should not have issued in the first place.

While Apple waged its scorched earth war, it lost market share to Samsung and others. Apple is set to "invent" its own bulkier devices next year. Turns out that consumers actually wanted smaller tablets and bigger smartphones and now Apple is forced to pay catch-up. They are also "inventing" all sorts of new features in its OS like pull down notifications, multi-tasking, widgets, blah, blah, blah.

The most important thing I can tell you is that you need to develop an identity and personality that extends beyond the products you own. That is not healthy - they are justs things. Don't let them define you. It is the reason you take a comment about Apple's business practices as a personal attack against you. It makes you a bit of an angry tool. I know you are sitting there thinking of a bunch zippy comebacks as to why it isn't true or how I think I am Dr. Phil, but is plain from your posts and even your user name. Take it for what it is worth.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #23
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

I've been using this screen name since 2002 because it's silly, and so am I. Deal with it.

Also, if you happen to "know better" than Apple, where is your $414 Billion company? With your vast knowledge of economics and business management, you must be CEO of something successful.

Edit: My goodness, being at work makes these zippy comebacks so difficult.

Basically, and I think everyone will agree with me, Automakers have had their chance to make something great and they have failed miserably. It is time for the grown-ups to take charge and truly innovate in the automotive infotainment arena. Apple will undoubtedly do it best and Microsoft/Google will do it well-enough to the point that maybe we'll forget how bad MFT and the like have been over the past few years.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #24
FoFoTi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119990
What I Drive: 2014 hatch

FF Reputation: 1 FoFoTi Good Standing Member
I like the note & its big screen - don't have one but my sister does - anyway I can see Toyota or Tesla teaming up with Apple for in car tech, back on topic never used MFT but hope to soon
Old 07-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #25
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Back to the point, mac.mogul, if you got your way and auto makers gave up on infotainment systems then what choice would the customer have if they wanted tech in there car? ANSWER, have or switch to a sole supplier -- APPLE.

Hell no!

BTW, I've owned two iPhones and currently have an iP4. I've also owned three Android phones (HTC Evo 4G, SGNexus and HTC One). I have experience with both but Android crushes iOS and the larger Android phones crush Apples hardware. Add to that the predatory legal practices and I am no fan of Apple.

One last thing ... Google has been more involved in car based stuff for a long time with things like navigation so Apple may have a hard time locking Android out of the car, though I think it highly likely they will try,,,

Brian
Old 07-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #26
Bogey
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104241
What I Drive: 2012, Ingot Silver SE

FF Reputation: 1 Bogey Good Standing Member
I agree with these two gentlemen and beleive there should be a universal software to use ios.or andriod with... If only they would come together and write a small software to deliver this.. Hell wtf am i saying google and apple are not the end all be all i hope something cool will come from ford opening up there system to third party companies and my neighbors neighbor son in law can write a program and start and new company.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #27
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

I don't think anybody understands what is being discussed here.

Automakers need to STANDARDIZE (how many times do I have to repeat myself) their systems to be compatible with mobile OS platforms.

The following manufacturers (Honda, Mercedes, Nissan, Ferrari, Chevy, Infiniti, Kia, Hyundai, Volvo, Acura, Opel, Jaguar) are currently working with Apple because Apple is currently the only company actively working to extend their mobile OS into vehicles. This does not mean that Apple is building exclusive infotainment systems for these cars. They are simply adding standard compatibility for owners who have iPhones so they will have full iOS integration with their car. If GOOGLE or MICROSOFT or god forbid RIM decide to do the same thing, they can. Nobody is locking anybody out of anything. Auto manufacturers are still able to develop their own systems if you don't have an iPhone (lol) and you're more than welcome to continue using terrible software with glitchy maps provided by your auto manufacturer.

Think about it this way: Auto manufacturers have been developing in-car operating systems for about 13 years. Ford just within the last 6 years with SYNC in 2007.
Apple/Microsoft, on the other hand, have been developing software for almost 40 years. Who do you think is going to make the better system?

Before Ford turned to a 3rd Party to develop MyFordTouch in-house, SYNC by Microsoft is a really great system. Voice recognition could use some work, but for the most part, SYNC is great. MFT is a clear indicator that Ford is ill-prepared to do the work necessary to build a quality system that will benefit customers. Until they get it right, they're just alienating the people who pay extra for a crippled system. Enter companies like Apple who can easily perfect the in-car system to work flawlessly with mobile devices and you get a win-win situation where people want to buy a car that is compatible with the rest of their devices and when new devices come out, they simply buy a new phone and the car remains compatible.

The new Chevy Sonic RS is the first domestic vehicle to include SIRI compatibility. Until now, anyone with a SIRI enabled iOS device couldn't use SIRI in the car. They were stuck using sub-standard voice recognition and navigation locked in by the manufacturer. Ford can't even get a text message out on an iPhone, let alone voice commands.

Hate Apple all you want but the fact remains that they are doing a good thing for an area of the automotive industry where "mediocre" is a $2000 option.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #28
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 6 slybarman Good Standing Member
Conceptually you are correct, that the in-car system should evolve to a system for accessing , displaying, interacting with a connected smartphone. You message does get a tad lost in all the fanboy garbage. One cant overlook the irony of suggesting superiority of iphone maps over the car-makers glitchy garbage. Apple's maps are a train wreck and most ios users are probably running Google maps, but I digress . . .

In any event there are other technologies like miracast snd mirrorlink heading in the suggested direction. The problem with an Apple solution is that it won't be agnostic. Apple's systems are closed and purposely don't play nice with others. That is part of their business model and always has been. I think it also unlikely they won't try to force exclusivity on the car manufacturers. Calling for standardization is all well and good but it is a two way street. Apple purposely shuns industry standards in favor of proprietary solutions so they can sell more merch and lock up customers. Ask yourself why your iphone had thunderbolt in place of usb as just one example.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using FF Mobile.

Last edited by slybarman; 07-09-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #29
Bogey
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104241
What I Drive: 2012, Ingot Silver SE

FF Reputation: 1 Bogey Good Standing Member
Okay, that should of been the first post, and i agree and see your point. Lol
Old 07-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #30
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
All this computer crap in cars is getting a bit out of control really. I'm not so quick to buy a newer car for this reason. My newest car my '04 mazda6 has control over the hvac system and I hate it. That's enough techno babble for me.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->