Auto-dimming rear view mirror - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST Interior Mods & Upgrades

Focus ST Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the 2008-Current ST Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-27-2013, 04:39 PM   #11
Stooge
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 41306
What I Drive: 2004 CD Silve SVTF

Points 2,691, Level 31
Points: 2,691, Level: 31 Points: 2,691, Level: 31 Points: 2,691, Level: 31
Level Up 61% Completed
Level up: 61% Level up: 61% Level up: 61%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Stooge Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Good job on this man. Sounds like you got it all worked up. Way to go gettin' it done yourself.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #12
Rob Ocelot
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 126962
What I Drive: 2014 Focus Hatch Ti Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 1 Rob Ocelot Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I just wired up a Gentex 50GENK-2A mirror (basic dimming, no frills) to my Titanium hatch and it was dead easy. Hardest part was removing the original mirror. Used an Add-A-Circuit fuse extender off Fuse 85 (7.5A original, and put a 3A fuse inline with it -- probably not necessary as the mirror draws less than 500mA). Just snake the wires under the headliner, under the top of the A pillar (easy to pull out a bit and get the wires in there) and down the passenger door weather stripping and out under the glove box). You will need to do either some minimal soldering to connect the Gentex wire to the Add-A-Circuit line or you can use a vampire clip that is supplied in the Gentex kit. There's a convenient grounding bolt near the fusebox for the mirror ground.

The beauty of this install is that it can be cleanly removed and the stock mirror put back in with no splices or other warranty-denying issues.

Bonus is that unlike the no-longer-offered factory installed mirror the 50GENK-2A has an off switch if you temporarily don't need the dimming function.

Total cost $50 CDN -- $35 for mirror off local Kijiji, $15 for the Add-A-Circuit. Cheapest I've seen for new 50GENK-2A's is $80 online. As a factory option I believe it cost you around $150-200 for the dimming mirror.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:09 PM   #13
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

Points 6,375, Level 52
Points: 6,375, Level: 52 Points: 6,375, Level: 52 Points: 6,375, Level: 52
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 47%
Activity: 47% Activity: 47% Activity: 47%
FF Reputation: 24 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
I've been thinking about doing this to my 02 ZX3.

You just made my mind up for me.

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.