Turbo Tech Racing UMM Review - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-02-2013, 07:07 AM   #1
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

Points 7,375, Level 57
Points: 7,375, Level: 57 Points: 7,375, Level: 57 Points: 7,375, Level: 57
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 11 Joeywhat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Turbo Tech Racing UMM Review

I thought I'd post up my review from the TTR upper motor mount thread, for a bit more exposure to those who didn't read that thread. I feel it's a worthwhile product for those who wish to have significantly less engine movement, and don't mind the additional vibrations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
My review of the TTR upper motor mount:

- Initial Thoughts (out of the box): Mount looks great out of the box. A nice gloss black powder coat, and a bright (but not ZOMG MY EYES!!1!) red bushing to offset everything and draw your eye to it. They offer a ton of color combos as well...so it's hard to not find something you like. It's hefty, about the same weight as the stock mount, and the bushing allows zero movement by hand. The stock mount can be easily moved by hand, on the other hand. Also came with a couple TTR stickers to put in carefully selected locations...

- Installation: Installation was straightforward and easy. The included instructions were put together well and easy to understand. Overall this isn't a difficult installation so there's not much to mention here. The only thing NA users should note versus the ST version, is that an A/C line is piped right above the motor mount, and the TTR mount can be a little difficult to fit under it during installation. Make sure you don't pull too hard on the A/C line, it fits you just have to put it in right (that's what she said). Also there is a bracket on the top of the stock mount that helps secure that A/C line that you no longer use with the TTR mount. IMO it's not needed, it's plenty secure as is...so no worries there.

- Initial Thoughts (First Startup): When I first started the engine after installation the vibrations were more then I expected. TTR does advise a 500-1000 mile break in, so do realize it doesn't stay like that. There are fairly considerable vibrations throughout the RPM range, with a bit more rumble around 1500-2000 rpm. There is is an increase in noise. Getting things moving, however, is where it all falls in place. The motor is super secure now, it barely moves at all. Note that I also have the e-Focus rear motor mount, which will remove some additional movement. The e-mount did OK on it's own, worth the money for what it does...but the TTR upper mount really clamps things down. You don't realize just how much the motor moves (especially while driving enthusiastically...) until you get this on there and drive it. It's a completely different animal.

The gearbox shifts a bit smoother, especially downshifts at higher RPMs. You can get on the gas a little quicker, presumably because after it shifts you have to wait for the motor to stop moving around. Downshifts feel good and firm and upshifts are tightened up a bit as well. Low speed driving (think parking lot/gridlock traffic speeds) are also much more pleasant. If I keep it in first in a parking lot, it used to bang around a lot if I went more then about 5mph. It would jerk me around every which way, and it was annoying. Now, it's much smoother and all you feel is the deceleration from the engine braking, not excessive engine movement.

- Thoughts After Break In Period: While I'm not entirely through the advised break in period (I'm at 300 miles), things have significantly improved. Vibrations throughout the RPM range have reduced greatly. They're still there, but unless you're trying to notice it, or you value a super refined ride, then you don't really notice. There is still a bit of a rumble at lower RPMs but it has also greatly improved and isn't too bad. It doesn't rattle the loose change I have in the car, to give you an idea of how it feels. It's still a bit noisy...but it's not a bad noise in my opinion. The motor sounds a lot sexier now...sounds a bit like the motor noise (not exhaust note...) of a modern V8. I'm not sure how it sounds outside the vehicle (I don't know many folks that could remember how it sounded stock to compare...). There's no drone at freeway speeds, and for "normal" driving it's not a huge increase. But when you get on it...it sounds freakin' sweet.

- Vibrations/Noise: To speak directly about the noise and vibrations, it's a bit difficult to accurately describe the noise and feel of the new mount. It's a combination of both that can make it difficult to know if you're hearing noise or feeling vibrations. What I did to judge my level of satisfaction with vibrations was to see if ANYTHING in the car vibrated (outside of the motor and chassis, of course). When I first installed it there were quite a few rattles and vibrations from the dash, and the hatch and elsewhere. Now those are all gone, and the loose change I keep in the weird container thingy (you all know what I mean...) doesn't rattle any longer. You can, however, still feel a slight vibration in the steering wheel, especially when the engine is under load. It gets very minimal once you hit cruising speed.

As for the noise, I wasn't sure where to go with this. On the one hand, the mount is definitely louder then stock. Just like the vibes, though, at cruising speed it's not much louder then stock. But when you get on it it starts singing. At this point in time, I absolutely love the sound. Yes it's loud, but it's not so much that it is unbearable or gives me a headache. I find I can turn the radio up a notch or two and you can't hear it (while cruising and such). But when you start to run it hard it emits a rather pleasant noise that is hard to describe. It's pure engine noise, so I imagine those outside the car probably can't hear any difference...but inside it sounds like a small(ish) displacement V8 is up front banging away doing awesome things.

- Customer Service: I didn't exactly order this through their site, so I can't comment too much on the ordering process, but Aaron was very helpful in getting this mount made and answering questions after the install.

- Overall: Overall I think this is a solid buy for the enthusiast who wants a greatly improved feel while driving, and doesn't mind some extra vibes or noise. Those who value a refined and quiet ride probably won't be satisfied with this...although I suspect most other performance motor mounts won't suit them either. I can't compare to any other mounts, so I won't...I do know that my experiences have been good so far, and as of right now the noise and vibrations have come to an acceptable level for me, so if they go down more then great, and if not then oh well. The improved feel of this car while driving is fantastic now.

Here is how I would rate the various aspects of this mount (out of 10):

Noise (1 would be completely silent, 10 unbearably loud): 5 (but do note that I LOVE the sound..., and I would put the stock vehicle at about a 2.5)

Vibrations (lower is less vibes): 4

Feel (how the car drives, higher is more racecar): 8

Appearance (higher is cooler): 10

Installation (higher is more difficult): 2

I once again can't wait to go drive my car again...so this product is a winner in my book. Now I just need a tune...and headers...and an intake.....and...

Overall I'm pretty satisfied with it, and it does a great job of restricting engine movement. The difference is night and day, even with a better RMM installed.

Hatch Nation #29
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #2
ShoOff
Focus Addict

Fan#: 109590
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue SE Hatchback

Points 1,785, Level 24
Points: 1,785, Level: 24 Points: 1,785, Level: 24 Points: 1,785, Level: 24
Level Up 85% Completed
Level up: 85% Level up: 85% Level up: 85%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 16 ShoOff Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
did you use something to support the motor underneath or was it not neaded?
Old 07-02-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Points 7,375, Level 57
Level Up 13% Completed
Forum Activity 9%
You need to support it with a jack or hoist.
Hatch Nation #29
Old 07-02-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
ShoOff
Focus Addict

Fan#: 109590
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue SE Hatchback

Points 1,785, Level 24
Points: 1,785, Level: 24 Points: 1,785, Level: 24 Points: 1,785, Level: 24
Level Up 85% Completed
Level up: 85% Level up: 85% Level up: 85%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 16 ShoOff Great Standing Member
I figured as much! Thank you for the review and info!
Old 07-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
Ausv7
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84217
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus, 1994 black F150

FF Reputation: 3 Ausv7 Good Standing Member
Love the review makes me want it more :)
Old 07-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
xwhit3devilx
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86578
What I Drive: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo

FF Reputation: 2 xwhit3devilx Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
You said this mount makes the engine sound like a V8? Any chance you could take a video or just a sound recording of how it sounds from inside the cabin? (Idle, light revs, accelerating) I'm curious to hear what you mean when you say that.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #7
TurboTechRacing
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 100913
What I Drive: Focus ST

Points 1,243, Level 19
Points: 1,243, Level: 19 Points: 1,243, Level: 19 Points: 1,243, Level: 19
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 TurboTechRacing Good Standing Member
Thanks for taking time to make this review. Awesome!!!
Old 07-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #8
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Points 7,375, Level 57
Level Up 13% Completed
Forum Activity 9%
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwhit3devilx View Post
You said this mount makes the engine sound like a V8? Any chance you could take a video or just a sound recording of how it sounds from inside the cabin? (Idle, light revs, accelerating) I'm curious to hear what you mean when you say that.
I can, although without a comparison clip without the mount it will likely be hard to truly gauge how it sounds...plus I'll be using my phone to record it.

Don't expect it to sound like a Ferrari or anything. It's the essence of a V8, not exactly like a V8 sound. I think it's mostly just more motor noise in general, something you typically get with higher performance vehicles.

Also, vibes are down a slight bit more at the 750 mile mark.
Hatch Nation #29
Old 03-18-2014, 11:08 PM   #9
ST_Focus_13
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105646
What I Drive: 2013, Black, Focus ST

Points 15, Level 1
Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1
Level Up 29% Completed
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 ST_Focus_13 Good Standing Member
Have the vibs calmed down a bit more? I just installed both transmission and passenger side motor mounts by TTR. After 300 miles I'm still getting pretty intense vibs. :-(
Old 03-19-2014, 12:01 AM   #10
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Points 7,375, Level 57
Level Up 13% Completed
Forum Activity 9%
Not really. I ended up selling mine. It's not bad in the summer, as the vibrations are a bit less and I usually have the windows down so the noise isn't bothersome, but I couldn't stand it in the winter. Not really a daily driver type mount.

It did a good job of stopping movement, though.
Hatch Nation #29

Bookmarks & Social Networks