Has anyone else had their 2012 Focus Tranny rebuilt? - Page 9 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #81
bobakman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89045
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 bobakman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan1970 View Post
Ford just authorized a tear down of my transmission as a next step in figuring out the problems I'm having with my car. I was just wondering if anyone else had this done and what the car was like when you got it back. Was it better, worse, or no different?
After a lot of visits to the dealer and a Lemon Law Claim Filed I had the clutches replaced. After, the mileage improved slightly And what I call the "Clutch Chatter" still remains. Shuddering or jerkiness as others have stated only happens when I am too light on the accelerator. It's now all the other issues that are occurring that worries me Left Axel half shaft replaced,Lower control arm replaced, Water from the A/C evaporator overflowed and leaked onto the Right Front Passenger floor due to the screw plugging the drain hole issue also mentioned in postings on this forum. Plastic piece that goes over the air inlet ducts torn and replaced, And now my hood release cable is broken.
All with 20K on the car and two years into ownership.
I purchased an extended warranty through my Credit union and am glad that I did. The only bad thing is if this pattern continues I will be spending more wasted time at the dealer rather than driving the car.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #82
mk3WA
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 113174
What I Drive: 2014 5m Focus SE sedan

FF Reputation: 1 mk3WA Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickWilly View Post
I sometimes wonder if some of you are imaginging this in your head. I know quite a few people with 2012 and up Focus's with DCT or whatever it is without a single issue. A few of them with 30,000+.

I understand that it has been a issue, but as we see problems on a forum sometimes we can begin to think that we have these same problems. It's human nature and theres no way around it.

For whatever that is worth.

Disclaimer: If that makes no sense, I haven't slept in 30-something hours because I am sick.

Nope.

My car was a highway queen for the vast majority of its life. I meticulously take care of the car, it's flawless 15mos down the line and it has been serviced at the dealership every single time (which the dealer also pointed out). They vindicated all of my concerns and consequently a car which has easily spent 70% of all its miles on an interstate needs significant trans work.

My mk1 Focus was well past 180k before it needed a new clutch, and I bought that car when I was 18 so you know I did stupid things with it. The mk2 I owned I bought with like 6900mi or something and gave it back with 64k IIRC, and it might as well have been a showroom condition car in every respect.

The mk3 is better than both by far, but that doesn't change the fact there is some very serious, universal issues with the DCT.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #83
SlickWilly
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 116476
What I Drive: 2009 Ford Focus SES Sangria Red

FF Reputation: 5 SlickWilly Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman View Post
Errr . . . Nope. Imagination is not conjuring up loud grinding and shuddering.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using FF Mobile.
First I would like to state that i DID NOT say that it effected no one. It seems like 95% of this forum is saying they have this issue. I understand that most come to a forum because of a problem but god damn. I agree with the others that if it was this big of a issue Ford would need KY for their poop chute.

Second is also true when someone says they have a problem with their car that some people will begin to try to find that same problem, and think they have that same problem. It also works in the way that if I told you my homemade intake made a power difference and I threw it in your car you'd feel that same power difference weither its there or not. Why do you all buy intakes? You think it makes a power difference (some for cosmetics) but in the end does it even make a feelable difference, probably not. This comes in the case of the "butt dyno".

I get it some of you have problems and "baby" your car and still have issues. Don't you think your time could be spent better ? Maybe at the dealership trying to fix this issue instead of posting post after post about the same exact thing? The same 3 questions have been answered 50 times in this thread.

Welcome to the human species, where our brain is wired to think negatively.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #84
SlickWilly
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk3WA View Post
Nope.

My car was a highway queen for the vast majority of its life. I meticulously take care of the car, it's flawless 15mos down the line and it has been serviced at the dealership every single time (which the dealer also pointed out). They vindicated all of my concerns and consequently a car which has easily spent 70% of all its miles on an interstate needs significant trans work.

My mk1 Focus was well past 180k before it needed a new clutch, and I bought that car when I was 18 so you know I did stupid things with it. The mk2 I owned I bought with like 6900mi or something and gave it back with 64k IIRC, and it might as well have been a showroom condition car in every respect.

The mk3 is better than both by far, but that doesn't change the fact there is some very serious, universal issues with the DCT.

Ford does a great job with their cars. I think if this issue continues maybe try a different dealership. (Don't know if you have)
Sometimes when a shop fixes an issue one way they think it fixes every one that same exact way.

Some issues just happen, its a new car, new body style and everything, long term test really haven't been accomplished.

I truly hope you get this issue fixed quick, I hate to see a down focus. I wish the best of luck sir.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #85
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 4 slybarman Good Standing Member
Quote:
Don't you think your time could be spent better ? Maybe at the dealership trying to fix this issue instead of posting post after post about the same exact thing? The same 3 questions have been answered 50 times in this thread.
I reckon people (myself included) will stop bitching the moment our brand new $20k+ cars stop sounding and driving like crap. Nobody bought the car hoping to hate it. Read the thread title - it is about TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS. What did you expect to read here - rainbows and unicorns?
Old 09-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #86
mk3WA
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 113174
What I Drive: 2014 5m Focus SE sedan

FF Reputation: 1 mk3WA Good Standing Member
Quote:
I truly hope you get this issue fixed quick, I hate to see a down focus. I wish the best of luck sir.
Thanks man. Dealership has been great and I'm cautiously optimistic...we'll see.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #87
gostinger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 44867
What I Drive: 2013 SE Black Pack Loaded 5 Spd MTX

FF Reputation: 1 gostinger Good Standing Member
I hope anyone that has this problem gets it rectified. Interesting that a previous poster indicated at least 80 tranny repairs from a tech at his dealer. I have heard similar from other dealers as well ( numbers never mentioned but quotes such as "not another " comes to mind). Wouldn't that be a substantial confirmation that this problem is far greater than some care to admit. If you disagree fine but wait a couple of more years and I would almost put money on it that truth will be told.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using FF Mobile 4
Old 09-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #88
Bolto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101615
What I Drive: 2012 Plat White Ti

FF Reputation: 2 Bolto Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint View Post
Interesting that, after feeling you got 'shafted' by Ford you went right back and rewarded them by buying a new Ford Escape.

My clutch assembly rebuild is still holding up but if it fails and I have to pay for it, I won't buy another Ford ever. If it fails and they take care of me (even off warranty) I'll consider them again.

Trannies in this age should last 10+ years at least. Ford needs to do the right thing here and extend the transmission warranty on these vehicles to 10 years. Denying the problem and calling it normal is the worst position they can take. We consumers need to punish companies in the only way we can: by directing our $ elsewhere when we are not treated fairly.

Ford still has a chance to make this right by taking care of 12+ Focus owners through to the normally expected transmission life. We'll see what they do.
I have the same exact mindset as you. I got my clutch pack replaced last year and after over 30k miles on it, it is grinding again. My dealer took care of me for the first one, and I'm hoping that they'll do the same for this one although I'm out of the bumper-to-bumper warranty period (but still within powertrain).

If they don't, I like the car enough that I can live with the grinding IF it doesn't get worse or mean my tranny is going to crap out in the near future. However, if it does and I'm paying out of pocket for it, well, I'll have to live with that, but the next time I am car shopping, Ford will not be on my list.

I have my fingers crossed though that Ford will do the right thing
Old 09-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #89
SlickWilly
Focus Fanatic

Any other topic, everyone would freak out and be like "use the search button dummy/newb" Then the DCT issues, ah them. No one ever says just use the search button.

My conclusion y'all just like to complain.

Cheers. Good luck to you all. Hope I see a positive DCT thread one day.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #90
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 4 slybarman Good Standing Member
Quote:
Hope I see a positive DCT thread one day.
Wouldn't we all . . . Wouldn't we all. Ford?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using FF Mobile.

Bookmarks & Social Networks