Has anyone else had their 2012 Focus Tranny rebuilt? - Page 8 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-01-2013, 12:18 PM   #71
mk3WA
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 113174
What I Drive: 2014 5m Focus SE sedan

FF Reputation: 1 mk3WA Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
My '12 Focus SE is in the shop now, has been since Wednesday. Has 40500mi on it. When I first got the car it was almost all freeway so trans problems didn't develop or stand out, but now that I've moved closer and my driving has been more biased toward interurban it really started shuddering. Took it in, and they determined both clutches are failing and the transmission module is shot. Lots of fault codes they said, though none ever showed up in the cluster.

The dealer has been absolutely amazing....took copious notes about my observations, and knew a lot about the issues. They also gave me a '13 Focus SFE without me even asking, and have let me keep it the week or more they expect to have the car. I'm cautiously hopeful this fix will cure the issue, because the loaner shifts way differently, though admittedly it only has 3800mi. The service advisor said this tech has done around 80 DCT jobs.....good and bad. Insane that so many transmissions on such a young iteration have needed to be done.

This is my third Focus and fourth Ford in a row, and no matter what happens I'll be a Ford guy and I already look forward to buying a mk4 (I've had a mk1 and mk2 now the mk3) but I hope Ford mounts an effort to universally stand by it's mk3 DCT folks. So far my dealership has been great but reading on the board I've seen some real mixed results. Unfortunate because the Focus is the best in it's class by a mile and one of the best cars in any class on sale in the world......
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #72
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

Points 314, Level 6
Points: 314, Level: 6 Points: 314, Level: 6 Points: 314, Level: 6
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk3WA View Post
My '12 Focus SE is in the shop now, has been since Wednesday. Has 40500mi on it. When I first got the car it was almost all freeway so trans problems didn't develop or stand out, but now that I've moved closer and my driving has been more biased toward interurban it really started shuddering. Took it in, and they determined both clutches are failing and the transmission module is shot. Lots of fault codes they said, though none ever showed up in the cluster.

The dealer has been absolutely amazing....took copious notes about my observations, and knew a lot about the issues. They also gave me a '13 Focus SFE without me even asking, and have let me keep it the week or more they expect to have the car. I'm cautiously hopeful this fix will cure the issue, because the loaner shifts way differently, though admittedly it only has 3800mi. The service advisor said this tech has done around 80 DCT jobs.....good and bad. Insane that so many transmissions on such a young iteration have needed to be done.

This is my third Focus and fourth Ford in a row, and no matter what happens I'll be a Ford guy and I already look forward to buying a mk4 (I've had a mk1 and mk2 now the mk3) but I hope Ford mounts an effort to universally stand by it's mk3 DCT folks. So far my dealership has been great but reading on the board I've seen some real mixed results. Unfortunate because the Focus is the best in it's class by a mile and one of the best cars in any class on sale in the world......
Yours is a rare dealer from the stories posted here, good for you
Old 09-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #73
mk3WA
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cassandra View Post
Yours is a rare dealer from the stories posted here, good for you
You aren't kidding, I'd read a lot of the stories before going in and went in with more than a little trepidation. I've had the car and the mk2 before it serviced by the dealer exclusively but something like this is really the test. Eager to see what the car is like when I get it back.

Biggest downside to the loaner.....now I REALLY regret my car isn't Sync equipped.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:22 PM   #74
Dylan1970
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100905
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Dylan1970 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman View Post
You keep posting all over the place about a redesigned transmission to address the problem, yet I don't think there are any facts to substantiate that there is in fact a new design or what the changes are. There is an updated part number, but unless I missed some vital info, that is all anyone knows for sure. Yes, I know a dealer told a customer that it was redesigned, but we have know way of knowing if that service person knew what he was talking about, or if he was just telling the customer what he wanted to hear. Please post FACTS about the redesign.

The dealers have been telling people, including me that the clutch packs and seals were redesigned, but I have seen ZERO details on what if anything was actually redesigned. We know for certain that quite a few people got the supposedly redesigned clutch packs and seals only to have the same problems return.

So . . . until Ford comes forward with some FACTS about what they have done, we have no idea if changes were really made or if Ford just slapped some new part numbers on the same old problems.

I have heard rumors about a new design too but whether it would've even been compatible in a 2012 is a question I will never know the answer to. I give my dealer a lot of credit for taking my concerns to heart and rebuilding the transmission once, however I was not willing to allow Ford to keep bouncing me back into service everytime an issue arose. I'm not making monthly payments to look through a garage window at my car on a lift. I did what I had to do because I knew I wasn't getting the help I wanted from Ford, just so they know I took an incredible financial hit but I love my Escape. They can take my piece of crap and dump it off on some innocent car buyer at least I don't have to deal with it anymore.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:20 AM   #75
mk3WA
Focus Rookie

I went and test drove a 2014 Focus S manual with Sync. Makes me think the Focus shouldn't even have an option for an auto, so nice. Don't think the numbers are going to support getting into it, but we'll see.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:28 AM   #76
SlickWilly
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 116476
What I Drive: 2009 Ford Focus SES Sangria Red

Points 4,554, Level 43
Points: 4,554, Level: 43 Points: 4,554, Level: 43 Points: 4,554, Level: 43
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 25%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%
FF Reputation: 6 SlickWilly Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I sometimes wonder if some of you are imaginging this in your head. I know quite a few people with 2012 and up Focus's with DCT or whatever it is without a single issue. A few of them with 30,000+.

I understand that it has been a issue, but as we see problems on a forum sometimes we can begin to think that we have these same problems. It's human nature and theres no way around it.

For whatever that is worth.

Disclaimer: If that makes no sense, I haven't slept in 30-something hours because I am sick.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:35 AM   #77
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

Points 314, Level 6
Points: 314, Level: 6 Points: 314, Level: 6 Points: 314, Level: 6
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickWilly View Post
I sometimes wonder if some of you are imaginging this in your head. I know quite a few people with 2012 and up Focus's with DCT or whatever it is without a single issue. A few of them with 30,000+.

I understand that it has been a issue, but as we see problems on a forum sometimes we can begin to think that we have these same problems. It's human nature and theres no way around it.

Disclaimer: If that makes no sense, I haven't slept in 30-something hours because I am sick.
I have no proof but my opinion is that these problems afflict a very small percentage of production.
If it were a lot, the media would be all over it with both feet, especially the bog down at highway speeds symptom some have reported and that I had happen on mine.

Hope you feel better soon
Old 09-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #78
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

Points 1,664, Level 23
Points: 1,664, Level: 23 Points: 1,664, Level: 23 Points: 1,664, Level: 23
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 6 slybarman Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickWilly View Post

Errr . . . Nope. Imagination is not conjuring up loud grinding and shuddering.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using FF Mobile.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:25 AM   #79
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

Points 1,664, Level 23
Points: 1,664, Level: 23 Points: 1,664, Level: 23 Points: 1,664, Level: 23
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 6 slybarman Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cassandra View Post
I have no proof but my opinion is that these problems afflict a very small percentage of production.
If it were a lot, the media would be all over it with both feet, especially the bog down at highway speeds symptom some have reported and that I had happen on mine.

Hope you feel better soon
Seriously, stop already.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using FF Mobile.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #80
Sprint
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87069
What I Drive: 2012, Black, Focus Titanium Sedan

Points 127, Level 2
Points: 127, Level: 2 Points: 127, Level: 2 Points: 127, Level: 2
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Sprint Good Standing Member
Has anyone else had their 2012 Focus Tranny rebuilt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan1970 View Post
I have heard rumors about a new design too but whether it would've even been compatible in a 2012 is a question I will never know the answer to. I give my dealer a lot of credit for taking my concerns to heart and rebuilding the transmission once, however I was not willing to allow Ford to keep bouncing me back into service everytime an issue arose. I'm not making monthly payments to look through a garage window at my car on a lift. I did what I had to do because I knew I wasn't getting the help I wanted from Ford, just so they know I took an incredible financial hit but I love my Escape. They can take my piece of crap and dump it off on some innocent car buyer at least I don't have to deal with it anymore.
Interesting that, after feeling you got 'shafted' by Ford you went right back and rewarded them by buying a new Ford Escape.

My clutch assembly rebuild is still holding up but if it fails and I have to pay for it, I won't buy another Ford ever. If it fails and they take care of me (even off warranty) I'll consider them again.

Trannies in this age should last 10+ years at least. Ford needs to do the right thing here and extend the transmission warranty on these vehicles to 10 years. Denying the problem and calling it normal is the worst position they can take. We consumers need to punish companies in the only way we can: by directing our $ elsewhere when we are not treated fairly.

Ford still has a chance to make this right by taking care of 12+ Focus owners through to the normally expected transmission life. We'll see what they do.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.