02 SE Won't start! Please Help!! - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 08:12 PM   #11
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Anyone competent in wiring can bypass the PATS for starter just to test most of the starter circuit. Go to passenger compartment fuse/relay box, look up the starter relay and temporarily ground the back side or ground of the relay coil, try starting then. PATS is bypassed there, the computer is out of the loop, engine should at least turn over. Maybe not start if a true PATS issue, but turn over.

Even simpler, remove top cover from relay, turn key to start position and then by hand push down the relay contact plate, car should again turn over. You're faking the relay coming on electrically. PATS still bypassed.

If neither works then still issues with the rest of it, buying parts does not guarantee fixed, sorry. I really hate being the bringer of bad tidings but really hate it worse when simple systems like this are too hard to understand too.

Your voltage going to zero could easily be bad battery cable to starter. Volts going to zero may easily mean the switching parts (ignition all the way down to small wire on starter) are working, just not enough power getting to starter with the big cable. Have someone take a battery cable and put one end on positive of battery and the other end of same cable to the big terminal of starter where big wire attaches. A jumper to bypass your big cable, if it works then you got cable issue.

Once again this stuff takes some ability, can easily burn down a car not paying attention with that big jumper.

Focus cars are known for the big battery to starter cable slowly going bad, look for any melting right where the cable comes to battery itself, the insulation may be melted the first couple inches, sign a new cable needed. They can melt down at the starter too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2013, 11:29 PM   #12
Desperate_Ashleigh
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 116332
What I Drive: 2002 Blue SE Comfort

FF Reputation: 1 Desperate_Ashleigh Good Standing Member
Thank you for actually being helpful. I have a friend who can help me do all the things that you suggested. He doesn't know much about ford's themselves but he has worked at Toyota for quite a while now and knows about cars themselves. He has just never seen this happen before.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:26 PM   #13
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Minor differences in car makes shouldn't stop a stepper...........all cars work in basically the same way. The devil is in the details but someone smart knows when to stop.

Let him have a go at it..................

Old 07-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #14
Desperate_Ashleigh
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Ok so my car still won't start..... I got a new starter and had them test it before I left the shop.... I have now replaced the Starter (twice), Battery, Ignition Switch, and the Neutral Safety Switch. We tested the wiring from the Battery to the Starter and still nothing!!! Please someone help me.....

Old 07-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #15
CJ148941
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115820
What I Drive: 2011 Black SE, 2.0L 5 spd

FF Reputation: 1 CJ148941 Good Standing Member
Have you tried putting your car in gear before starting it, I saw you have an auto trans. As far as I know, some cars there is a PRNDL switch which tells the computer what gear your, this switch may be on your car too. If it doesn't recognize your in park or neutral it wont send power to the neutral safety switch, which then wont start your car. so moving the shifter may trick it in to thinking your in neutral or park. Hopefully this will help if not I do apologize in advance.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #16
amc49
Focus Fanatic

CJ, can't possibly help-the two things you speak of are the same part, LOL.

To OP.............You need an electrician right there with the car, it's plain whoever's working on it has not a clue, you're now buying good parts twice. You can't do deep electrical investigation and diagnosis over the 'net. By now that should be VERY apparent.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #17
CJ148941
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115820
What I Drive: 2011 Black SE, 2.0L 5 spd

FF Reputation: 1 CJ148941 Good Standing Member
Are they really the same? I wasn't sure myself either but they seem like two different parts. One on the transmission to know what gear its in and the other inline of the starter system, but I do agree that an electrician should be there with the car also, it would also help to have a electrical diagram there.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:18 PM   #18
amc49
Focus Fanatic

One starter wire runs to transmission to hit that switch and back to starter, same part.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:46 AM   #19
Desperate_Ashleigh
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I am just asking for suggestions not for you to diagnose it. I'm asking what else it could be. I am a 21 year old disabled female and I am doing all of the work myself. I cannot afford to take it to a shop or have an electrician come out and look at it. I don't have a job and only have a very small amount of money to live off of. I haven't bought the same parts twice I had a warranty on the starter and the starter that I had before that was actually bad but apparently it's not the only problem with the car.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:50 AM   #20
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Suggestions ARE diagnosing it. 'I'm asking what else it could be.' If that's not diagnosis, then the dictionary lied.

What engine in car? If says 'split port' on top of engine, engine could be locked up and starter will never work ever. Engine destroyed. If first starter checked as good and then went bad when installed, you burned it up trying to turn a motor that is locked like concrete. It happens sometimes on that particular motor.

After the last long post with PATS workaround suggestions and 100% zero feedback from you on that, you will not be getting long winded posts about how to check wiring. You do not have the skills to do it. You've already been given two ways to jump around major sections of the system to check things and no result mentioned by you at all. Many problems on cars cannot be cured by simply buying new parts to throw at the car, and your reports back scream that everything you've said so far is, frankly, unreliable.

'I have now replaced the Starter (twice),...'

Replacing a starter twice means three have now been on there. That's getting pretty ridiculous.

Fuse 8 in underhood fusebox and starter relay in pass compartment fusebox are the only parts you have left, any problem after that and it's wiring, all wiring.

Closed Thread

Bookmarks & Social Networks