Things I have done to my SVT so far to make it right.... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > Focus SVT

Focus SVT The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK1 2002-2004 Focus SVT.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-01-2013, 09:30 PM   #1
RyaneAp
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116328
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black EAP

FF Reputation: 1 RyaneAp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Things I have done to my SVT so far to make it right....

Recently picked up an EAP SVTF that had been in a front end accident and had a salvage title. Someone before me put the car back together but they did not do too great a job. Missing bolts that hold the front bumper on correctly, some of the front wiring was not repaired, radiator support cracked still, fog light socket messed up where light would not go back in and stay, crap sway bar end links, smashed rear O2 sensor, squishy mounts, warped rotors and the list goes on.

So far, I've been trying to get the car back where it needs to be. Here is what I've done and what I need to make the car more correct.

Done:
New sway bar end links up front
New dog bone and trans mounts (engine mount will go on in near future just so they are all new)
Installed new fog lights
Removed ricer exhaust and installed less ricer exhaust comprised of a resonator, Apexi WS2 muffler for Civic hatchback (muffler in stock location and tip moved to back) and all new pipe from converter back. Still makes a little noise but I have not heard a stock SVTF exhaust to know how it is compared to stock (want to put stock exhaust on it in future)
Oil change
New front rotors and ceramic pads
New rear O2 sensor
Repaired the IMRC by cleaning the contacts (this and O2 sensor got the engine light off)
Re installed stock air intake setup (had cone filter on MAF)

Need to do/need parts to repair:
Front radiator support (need part to fix)
would like to install new headlight harness due to accident damage (need part)
front splash guard (need part)
Front bumper OEM side markers to replace the smoked ones on the car (need parts)
Front grille to replace the one currently on the car with blacked out ambers and some broken tabs (need part)
All fasteners to make bumper line up correctly (bumper is somewhat loose, need parts)
Probably doing new tires all around in next week or so
Turn rear rotors as long as they are still within spec and add ceramic rear pads
Install aftermarket CD player to replace the 9006 with noisy loading changer. Should have that done this coming weekend and will be hooking everything back up to work correctly (audio controls and sub)
Need factory black hood. One that is on it has terrible paint; think it may have been a kindergarten finger painting project...

I guess once I have enough posts and have been here 30 days I can make a wanted ad. More than likely, I'll have already obtained all parts from fleabay or CL.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 11:19 PM   #2
mainest
Focus Addict

Fan#: 60163
What I Drive: '04 Red Euro SVT

Points 1,837, Level 25
Points: 1,837, Level: 25 Points: 1,837, Level: 25 Points: 1,837, Level: 25
Level Up 37% Completed
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 8 mainest Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
to FF, RyaneAp! Congrats on joining the SVT fraternity, it's not too big, and constantly shrinking, as SVTFs disappear from the scene. FF and FJ are great sources of accumulated knowledge on how to preserve and improve the breed. First off, if you have information on mileage, previous owners and whatnot, determine when the last timing belt change was done, as a t-belt failure will cause major engine damage. Then be prepared for leaky clutch master cylinders and thermostat housings and other minor annoyances.
Read: http://forums.focaljet.com/forum215/ and: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/f...splay.php?f=40
and if you can't find the answer ot a question, ask whatever else you need to know.
Please keep us posted on your progress, and post pics!
Old 07-01-2013, 11:51 PM   #3
Gadabout
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114774
What I Drive: 2006 Vermillion Red ZX4 SE

Points 1,037, Level 17
Points: 1,037, Level: 17 Points: 1,037, Level: 17 Points: 1,037, Level: 17
Level Up 37% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 4 Gadabout Good Standing Member

Welcome!! I'm not an SVT owner, but following this build is gna be pretty awesome!
Team Duratec #42
Old 07-02-2013, 01:14 AM   #4
RyaneAp
Focus Rookie

Person I got it from worked at a dealership and the lady that supposedly had it since new traded it in. She stated the belt and water pump was changed at 110,000 miles; car currently has 123,000 on it. He did not have any paperwork to support his claim. Belt does appear new as the writing is still crisp on it.

Sadly, car was from Kansas and it has no front license plate holder. I got pulled over last week for no front plate and I would like to get the factory holder so I don't just drill the plate on the bumper. If I can't find one soon, I will just drill it right onto the bumper. Sucks but one of the local PD's will pull you over for no front plate every time they see you.

There definitely seem to be a good amount of annoyances. I also fixed the converter heat shield and had to make a new strap that holds the converter where it travels upwards under the intake manifold. There was an annoying rattle every once in a while that I determined was caused from the original mounting being cracked. Car is nice and quiet now except for the occasional front right spring popping.

One last thing that has been bothering me is the lack of a cargo cover behind the back seat. I need to get one of those to make the interior complete along with the passenger front cup holder rubber insert...

I will post up some pics in the next couple days.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
JPager
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116201
What I Drive: 2004 Silver SVT EAP

FF Reputation: 1 JPager Good Standing Member
Interested in seeing where this goes

I'd kinda like to see where this goes as I'm in the process of trying to purchase a EAP myself.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
nvmaddog
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 68677
What I Drive: 2002 Red SVT

FF Reputation: 1 nvmaddog Good Standing Member
Wish my list was as short (or as cheap) as yours...
2002 Red 3 Door SVTF #2458
Old 07-06-2013, 08:32 PM   #7
RyaneAp
Focus Rookie

Well, wife drove the car to OK this weekend. So far, car seems to be doing pretty well after the small things I've done. It's been getting 27-28 mpg on her commute to work and we've been getting 31-33 on the highway with it. New tires will be here Monday and I plan on getting the alignment checked when they go on.

Need to pull the headlights out so I can get the bumper bolted to the fenders correctly (looks like there is good room to access the bumper/fender attachment points through headlight openings).
Old 07-14-2013, 03:18 AM   #8
RyaneAp
Focus Rookie

All new tires on car and had it aligned the same day. Looks like I still need to pull the rear rotors and get them turned. Wife wants an aftermarket stereo in the car that she can use with her iPod so that goes in tomorrow (later today..?). Going to retain factory sub and audio controls.

Now, need the rear cargo cover, front grille, and probably the radiator support piece that the hood latch is mounted to. Plan on pulling the headlights and finally getting the bumper to fit to the fenders correctly (lack of fasteners).

Still nothing great but it's a good daily now.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:01 PM   #9
mainest
Focus Addict

Fan#: 60163
What I Drive: '04 Red Euro SVT

Points 1,837, Level 25
Points: 1,837, Level: 25 Points: 1,837, Level: 25 Points: 1,837, Level: 25
Level Up 37% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 8 mainest Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyaneAp View Post
I will post up some pics in the next couple days.
Sounds as if you are putting lots of love (and some $$) into your new SVT. I have some front marker lights (corners) which I'll donate to the cause for the cost of postage. PM me your address and I'll send them along.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:27 AM   #10
RyaneAp
Focus Rookie

PM sent. Radio install went smoothly. Did not have the audio control interface so that is not done but everything else went fine. I just stripped a little insulation back for the sub + and - and the remote turn on. Did not cut any of the wires to make it work. Added a 1k ohm resistor for the turn on and it all works great.

If I get time later this week, I need to get the headlights pulled out and the bumper/fender alignment fixed. Once that is done, it's down to small stuff...

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.