A Pillar Gauge Install - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
VillageT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97061
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 VillageT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
A Pillar Gauge Install

I am getting ready to install a 3 gauge pillar set up in my 2005 ZX3 and would like to hear from someone that has done it about how to route the tubes and wires. I am installing oil pressure, boost/vac gauges and ammeter.

Village T

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Magus2727 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
which ones are mechanical and which ones are electric?
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 07-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #3
VillageT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97061
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 VillageT Good Standing Member
The oil pressure and Vac/boost are both mechanical-attaching them to the engine is not a problem. What I am interested in is the best way to route the nylon tubes and wiring through the A pillar and the dash panel (firewall).

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
PLRX
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 16768
What I Drive: 2003 - ZX5 - 5 Spd - 2.3 Duratec

FF Reputation: 1 PLRX Good Standing Member
I'm also looking into this upgrade for my 03. I know we have many in here who had done that modification.

Your help will be much appreciated.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:11 AM   #5
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
MkI & MkII sections would be better areas to look for this info. for both of you.

It's been done B4, prob. a bit more on the MkI models.

If you folks don't get answers soon here, one of us will likely move the thread to the MkII section & start a thread with PLRX's post in the MkI area.

Give it some time here for folks to notice the question, both might search the areas I mentioned in the mean time for prev. threads on this.

Luck!

S.R. #275

There & Back Again...
Old 07-11-2013, 07:24 AM   #6
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Magus2727 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I have not done it yet, will be locating gauges in the instrument cluster bezel where the coin tray was. But should be close to the same. Running mechanical oil pressure you will just want to make sure its not going to rub on any thing that could cut it or compromise the tube over time. There is 1-2 grommets that you can rout it through in the firewall if you dont want to drill a new one, but will likely mean more tube length. These are located around the location where the steering wheel passes through.

You could also drill a hole in the plastic housing that the steering wheel shaft from the rack come in and install a rubber grommet and run along the fire wall up to the locations you want.

The great thing about our cars is there are a number of options and logic wise none is better than the other as long as you do it right. use rubber grommets going through metal planes. tie down do its not moving around and tie down things close to it so nothing rubs. Run such that you wont get kinks (check what the minimum bend radius is for the tubing).

This is likely not that much physical help as you wanted but run it how it best runs.
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 07-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #7
PLRX
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 16768
What I Drive: 2003 - ZX5 - 5 Spd - 2.3 Duratec

FF Reputation: 1 PLRX Good Standing Member
I ended up ordering Speedhut's oil pressure & temperature, and water temperature gauges. I have the Speedhut sppedometer/tachometer gauge I bought YEARS ago, and I was able to order the gauges with the same font.

I ordered the oil filter sandwich, and for the water temperature I noticed there is a big part in the upper hose-heater house housing with enough material to tap for the temperature fitting.

Once I get it all done, I will start a new thread including the whole enchilada. New engine, new exhaust, new gauges, new rotors, and bought all shocks to replace the old one from the SVT upgrade I did few years ago.

Bookmarks & Social Networks