D20,D23 Oil pan swap. Warning, contrarian view! - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
bones33
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105414
What I Drive: '05 Silver ST

FF Reputation: 1 bones33 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
D20,D23 Oil pan swap. Warning, contrarian view!

The benefits of a BSD are weight loss both in rotating and static weight. Some is gained back in increased oil capacity, which is assumed a good thing.

Why? What is the benefit of just increased capacity?

If it is temperature, is anyone measuring the oil temps? And wouldn't a cooler be a better way of controlling it?

I'm thinking of swapping in a D20 pan to my D23 with BSD to put the capacity at about the stock 4.5 qts. I'll be installing an oil temp gauge to monitor temps in the bottom of the pan. Daily driver, basically stock, maybe an occasional auto-x. Live in rainy Washington State.

The benefits I see are as follows:
1) The 1 qrt smaller pan at the pick n pull is $15.
2) The good synth oil is >$5, pays for the pan in 3 changes. Then savings.
3) The stock 2.0 pan has a better "baffle" than the 2.3 pan as it goes all the way across the pan. Possibly still not good enough for auto-x? Dunno. Evidence anyone?
4) 2.0 pan concentrates the oil closer to the pickup for less sloshing vs. the 2.3 pan which is wider and flatter.
5) Lighter by the weight of 1 less quart vs. 2.3 w/BSD.
6) Same oil capacity as stock. A larger filter and/or cooler will increase capacity about the extra quart if needed.
7) Very marginally better cooling via the increased external webbing on the 2.0 acting as cooling fins.

Evidence that this is a bad idea?
Anyone have a good 2.0 pan in Washington for sale/swap with my 2.3 pan?

So.
Many.
Questions.

Last edited by bones33; 07-01-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
For what your doing it wouldnt matter either way as for the extra oil

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 07-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
bones33
Focus Enthusiast

Tom, as the 2.0 has a less flat sump collection area the oil near the pick-up, seems like it's actually better than the 2.3 sump for cornering? Or are they both good enough for the limits of the car?

I had starvation issues on the 240SX in autocross and don't want to damage this fragile engine during brief cone mutilating sessions.

So it sounds like your saying the extra oil is only a benefit for very high stress builds, turbo, etc. Near stock n/a = no benefit.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing Member Egz Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
A quart of oil is less than 2 pounds. However, at 7000RPM, you are pumping oil at a very high rate. Having the extra capacity ensures that the sump doesn't run dry as the pumped oil makes it return. And the extra thermal capacity coupled with a cooler ensures it stays in operating temperature on the track.

You are intent on doing a 2.0 pan, why are you against adding a baffle to the existing 2.3 pan?

duratec.wikispaces.com - Duratec Wiki - Sign up and contribute!
Old 07-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
bones33
Focus Enthusiast

Egz, While I have the 2.3 pan off I was looking at a 2.0 pan and, well, some questions started to come to mind. I hadn't seen any arguments stating why an extra qt in the sump was a good idea, just that it was. Just the default stamp of approval.

I'm exploring this because frankly, I'm cheap and thought the 2.0 pan might be a better fit for my actual, not imaginary, driving habits than a baffle. I like the idea of using only one jug of oil for an entire oil change. If the pick n pull has them they are $15, other yards are $50. A swap with someone would be the preferred solution.

A long right hand high fast sweeper (longer and faster than a freeway cloverleaf) at a sustained 7Krpm is probably the most likely scenario for pumping the sump dry. It's pretty unlikely I will be doing this, an autocross at the most for me these days. I'm not doing track days anymore.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #6
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing Member Egz Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I understand. Just for $45 more, it just seems like a better answer.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:04 PM   #7
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 54 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bones33 View Post
The benefits of a BSD are weight loss both in rotating and static weight. Some is gained back in increased oil capacity, which is assumed a good thing.

Why? What is the benefit of just increased capacity?

If it is temperature, is anyone measuring the oil temps? And wouldn't a cooler be a better way of controlling it?Yes it would, but then you have to think the oil capacity vs a cooler. A cooler= possible leaks.

I'm thinking of swapping in a D20 pan to my D23 with BSD to put the capacity at about the stock 4.5 qts. I'll be installing an oil temp gauge to monitor temps in the bottom of the pan. Daily driver, basically stock, maybe an occasional auto-x. Live in rainy Washington State.

The benefits I see are as follows:
1) The 1 qrt smaller pan at the pick n pull is $15.
2) The good synth oil is >$5, pays for the pan in 3 changes. Then savings.
3) The stock 2.0 pan has a better "baffle" than the 2.3 pan as it goes all the way across the pan. Possibly still not good enough for auto-x? Dunno. Evidence anyone?
4) 2.0 pan concentrates the oil closer to the pickup for less sloshing vs. the 2.3 pan which is wider and flatter.
5) Lighter by the weight of 1 less quart vs. 2.3 w/BSD.
6) Same oil capacity as stock. A larger filter and/or cooler will increase capacity about the extra quart if needed.
7) Very marginally better cooling via the increased external webbing on the 2.0 acting as cooling fins.How fast are you going?

Evidence that this is a bad idea?
Anyone have a good 2.0 pan in Washington for sale/swap with my 2.3 pan?

So.
Many.
Questions.

How 'bout using a windage tray? I use a windage tray & a bsd plug. Punched it in the bs oil feed hole & staked it & added a windage tray. I use Mobil 1= I buy a 6 pack of mobil 1 from cosco & a 5qtr jug from wally world. The 6qtrs from cosco last for 6 oil changes. I also use a FL842. I just changed oil last saturday & used a Bosch D3402 distanceplus filter. Have you looked at Raceline pans?
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 07-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #8
bones33
Focus Enthusiast

Hey there Felix, I was hoping to hear your view as well.

I'm playing devils advocate here to stir up some answers on why exactly a 6 qt sump + baffle is better than a 5qt and only the stock "baffle" on the 2.0 pan. This for street driving and some autocross at most. No deluded images of track days in my future.

Maybe the oil starvation issue on the Focus is a bigger issue that I first thought. Is there evidence that the 2.3 or 2.0 has starvation issues in auto-x?

The $.98 (paid too much) BSD plug is in but instead of staking I'll put in a safety retainer over the top inspired by the old Marcy Motorsport design. Easy to make, solid and reversible.

I'll be using the PureOne filter as it has the lower micron rating and silicone ADBV of the best spin on filters but is much less expensive. Anything better is a seperate bypass system. FL842 equivalent size is a good idea, thanks.

Raceline. Dry sump? Not on this car. Had enough with the 12qt Porsche system.

Well, if I don't find a reasonable price on a pan in the next week or so the 2.3 pan will go back on.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #9
Driven5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95835
What I Drive: Building a Duratec powered Locost.

FF Reputation: 1 Driven5 Good Standing Member
Raceline offers a 5qt wet sump pan too. However, I'm not sure how well it will work in transverse applications, since its really intended for longitudinal applications.

I would think the D20 pan would suit you just fine. It's uncommon for inline engines to have significant oil drain back problems, so they aren't as likely to have oil starvation even under typical 'high performance' type driving. I would be very surprised if it was an issue at an autox, especially if on street tires.

Can you point me to more information and pictures showing the differences between the two pans? I'm not sure how the D20 vs D23 pan might affect my initial use of the engine, but it's possible that a D23 pan might also be able to suit my needs until I get my hands on a proper longitudinal (Raceline, or similar designed sheet metal) pan for my D20. Do they use the same pickup?

You can follow my Duratec powered 'Locost' build at:
GarageOdyssey.blogspot.com
GarageOdyssey.tumblr.com
Old 07-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #10
bones33
Focus Enthusiast

The d20 pan is pictured on a thread here, http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...=129212&page=3

I don't have a picture of my d23 pan or any other for that matter, sorry. I can say that the flat part of the d20 pan is closest to the transmission and it is an inch or two deeper in the d23 pan, creating the extra capacity. Maximum depth of the pan I think is the same. Good point on the pickup, need to check part numbers then maybe visual differences.

If you have a d20 and want to swap let me know. We can take some accurate measurements and compare.

Nice project. Always wanted a 7, or better yet build a Locost my way.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->