This is driving me nuts - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
swagfocuswagon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103591
What I Drive: '00 Focus wagon, 96 Cutlass Supreme

FF Reputation: 1 swagfocuswagon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
This is driving me nuts

Okay so my Focus wagon with the SPI is running like hell. I cant remember if I posted a thread like this or not but Ill just start over.

I had this car for about a year, when I got it, the car sat for a year or so. The top half of the motor was rebuilt by the previous owner supposedly, Im guessing the timing belt either broke or it took a shit like all SPI's do eventually.

Since I got it I put in a new timing belt and tensioners and all that stuff, new air intake (air box broke, installed a cone filter) alternator, new belt, new battery cable and a few other things I cannot remember atm.

I replaced the DPFE sensor today, along with the hoses going to it hoping it would quit running like hell.

Well I guess I should explain what its doing lol. Well when ever I accelerate, the car acts like its lost 2 cylinders. It misses horribly. CEL flashes because of it. Also, it will miss at idle sometimes as well. When it does this, the power is gone. Even at WOT, it will barely move. Its scary as hell on the highway. If I let off 3/4 of the way it will quit missing and get it s power back somewhat, but if I bury my foot past a certain point, it will fall on its ass. Sometimes when idling the car will stall. Though, if I floor it, it will run like hell untill it gets past 4k or so then it will start to pick back up.

Ive taken it to get the codes read at advance several times. Apparently the drive cycle is not completing, and sometimes a code for the air temp. sensor will come up. Sometimes it will be a list of codes. I tested the fuel pressure too, it seems with in specs.

Im thinking its the EGR valve. But I just dont know. I dont want to pour too much in to this thing, I already put to much into it lol

PS: I can smell exhaust fumes inside the compartment coming from the end of the EGR tube where it bolts to the manifold.

If anyone knows what this could be, your help would be most appreciative, and Im sorry if Im missing a few things, its just very mind boggling.

Thanks, Patrick.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2013, 08:47 PM   #2
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

Points 18,059, Level 85
Points: 18,059, Level: 85 Points: 18,059, Level: 85 Points: 18,059, Level: 85
Level Up 42% Completed
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%
Forum Activity 28%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%
FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Bring it to a mechanic.

Sounds like it could be a plugged Cat, failing MAFS, failing TPS, wrong sparkplugs or a few other things. SO rather than haphazardly replace parts, pay someone and save the headache.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:36 AM   #3
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 2,935, Level 33
Points: 2,935, Level: 33 Points: 2,935, Level: 33 Points: 2,935, Level: 33
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 45%
Activity: 45% Activity: 45% Activity: 45%
FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
X2, you've mentioned so many things already you will be testing a seasoned mechanic out. Nothing personal at all but the thinking exhibited in the post suggests you're not up to it.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
swagfocuswagon
Focus Enthusiast

I was thinking the cat as well.

I have the ability to fix this vehicle, its just diagnosing things is not really my forte in this kind of work, but I am getting better lol

And I am not just replacing parts left and right. The parts I replaced needed it. They were either broken or wore out. (DPFE sensor broke, part of why I replaced it, otherwise I would not had even bothered) its just this vehicle is proving to be well...difficult lol Im not bashing Foci or Ford or anything.

Besides I think its a great learning experience!
Old 07-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

Points 2,027, Level 27
Points: 2,027, Level: 27 Points: 2,027, Level: 27 Points: 2,027, Level: 27
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 86 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Car missing...lack of or intermittent power...smell of fuel/fumes...hesitates... flashing CEL;
I'd check the usual suspects in the primary and secondary igntion circuits. Examine wiring at coil connector as a first step, bottom of coil for cracks, etc. It's always free to look. Faults should be obvious for the conditions described.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:26 PM   #6
swagfocuswagon
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC_ZX3 View Post
Car missing...lack of or intermittent power...smell of fuel/fumes...hesitates... flashing CEL;
I'd check the usual suspects in the primary and secondary igntion circuits. Examine wiring at coil connector as a first step, bottom of coil for cracks, etc. It's always free to look. Faults should be obvious for the conditions described.
I did. Its got a brand new coil (old one cracked) and the wiring is in good shape.

Forgot to mention I did the full tune up when I first got the car.

Bookmarks & Social Networks