OK questions that I hope can be answered - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #11
bdeditch
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 57294
What I Drive: 2008 Ice blue SE

FF Reputation: 1 bdeditch Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJFreshlySnipes View Post
Question

1). How did you put 230k miles on your car in 4 years? ? Do you commute from New York to LA for work every day or something lol?

- Kind of sounds like an air flow issue or an issue with the mass air flow sensor. When was the last time you checked your air intake filter and intake manifold? I cleaned my intake manifold recently and noticed a huge difference

- Go to an auto parts store and pick up Sea-Foam. Just put it in your gas tank and It cleans out the junk in your whole system. I use it every few months and can tell the difference immediately.
I have been doing some research on the Sea Foam. I was wondering what vacuum would be the best one to use to, or should I just use the spray type and spray it into the throttle body, or both?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #12
DJFreshlySnipes
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99868
What I Drive: 09' Focus Coupe (Blue)

FF Reputation: 1 DJFreshlySnipes Good Standing Member
There are 2 types of sea-foam. There is one specifically made for cleaning your throttle body. The original sea foam you should just pour into your gas tank. I would use it every couple months, depending on how much you drive.

For the throttle body, buy the sea-foam throttle body cleaner and remove your throttle body (took me like 20 minutes). Then place the throttle body in a paint tray or something like it. Spray the throttle body with the sea foam (apply liberally) and let it soak for 20-40 minutes. After it has soaked just start scrubbing. Make sure you get inside the manifold to get all the junk out so that there is no black stuff. You will have to scrub pretty hard. It took me like 40 minutes but when I was done it looked brand new. When you are finished just make sure you plug your Mass air flow sensor in properly because I didn't and my car could barely drive until I seated it properly.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:12 PM   #13
bdeditch
Focus Rookie

Quote:
There are 2 types of sea-foam. There is one specifically made for cleaning your throttle body. The original sea foam you should just pour into your gas tank. I would use it every couple months, depending on how much you drive.

For the throttle body, buy the sea-foam throttle body cleaner and remove your throttle body (took me like 20 minutes). Then place the throttle body in a paint tray or something like it. Spray the throttle body with the sea foam (apply liberally) and let it soak for 20-40 minutes. After it has soaked just start scrubbing. Make sure you get inside the manifold to get all the junk out so that there is no black stuff. You will have to scrub pretty hard. It took me like 40 minutes but when I was done it looked brand new. When you are finished just make sure you plug your Mass air flow sensor in properly because I didn't and my car could barely drive until I seated it properly.
Jim Davis from Sea Foam contacted me and they have a type now that has a induction cleaning tube and you put the tube around a guide. Here is the link to it http://www.seafoamsales.com/sea-foam-spray/

But with my luck, I went to 3 different auto supply stores, each one had it, but not one had the extra long tube and guide, he is sending me one.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #14
DJFreshlySnipes
Focus Enthusiast

Honestly I would stray away from that. If you want to do it properly, pull the whole thing off and get an old tooth brush. Mine had a tube too but it was like the red straw\tube that comes on wd40. With the mileage on your car I think it would be worth your time to do it the right way.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:16 PM   #15
DJFreshlySnipes
Focus Enthusiast

Mine was pretty dirty at just 40k miles so yours must be filthy at 230k.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #16
bdeditch
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Honestly I would stray away from that. If you want to do it properly, pull the whole thing off and get an old tooth brush. Mine had a tube too but it was like the red straw\tube that comes on wd40. With the mileage on your car I think it would be worth your time to do it the right way.
Your right, for as much as it is to take off it would be a lot easier and I can make sure it is clean. Mine is easy, I have that K&N air filter setup and its easier to take apart.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:58 PM   #17
bdeditch
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Mine was pretty dirty at just 40k miles so yours must be filthy at 230k.
You are so right, I got home and took off the hose from the air filter and I could see the black around the TB Valve. I took a dowel and pushed on the valve and looked inside, its all black.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:08 PM   #18
DJFreshlySnipes
Focus Enthusiast

Ya they get really dirty lol. Mine was gross after 40k so I can't imagine what yours must be like after 230k! Just make sure you put the MAF in place securely when you are done.

How did you rack up so many miles on your car? For work or something?
Old 07-01-2013, 10:25 PM   #19
bdeditch
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Ya they get really dirty lol. Mine was gross after 40k so I can't imagine what yours must be like after 230k! Just make sure you put the MAF in place securely when you are done.

How did you rack up so many miles on your car? For work or something?
All from work
Old 07-01-2013, 10:32 PM   #20
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 46 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
I moved the thread to the Technical Chat area so you can get some more help for your problem.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat

Bookmarks & Social Networks