Considering 2013 Focus SE Automatic - should I? - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-17-2013, 10:32 PM   #31
joshuafail
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115261
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Silver SE w/MFT

Points 466, Level 9
Points: 466, Level: 9 Points: 466, Level: 9 Points: 466, Level: 9
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 9 joshuafail Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arco-Zakus View Post
"You won't have any regrets" IF you make the commitment to follow that learning curve AND accept the "distinct difference between a traditional torque converter automatic and a DCT".

Not all buyers are willing to do both.
Eh, true. Though if you're that unwilling to take a little time (ten minutes, literally...) to learn about how your new $20k investment works and operates, you probably shouldn't have bought it in the first place.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2013, 10:54 PM   #32
tmtex
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 110584
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus SE - 2005 F150 4x4

FF Reputation: 1 tmtex Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I might have said this before if I did, forgive me. If you have ever driven a standard or stick, it can be like that BUT your not shifting or pressing a clutch in. And really you only have to think that way if in serious bumper to bumper traffic or maybe when slowly rolling a turn with a stop sign. Other then that driving is basically normal
Old 07-18-2013, 02:55 AM   #33
JSleeper
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116721
What I Drive: 2013 Ruby Red Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 JSleeper Good Standing Member
Purchased my car on July 6 and have now driven it about 700 miles through some pretty bad LA traffic. I have the Ti Handling package. So far, the shifts have been very smooth. I've had a few incidents of rollback, and that buzzing noise infrequently. But I wouldn't call them major issues.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #34
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,279, Level 35
Points: 3,279, Level: 35 Points: 3,279, Level: 35 Points: 3,279, Level: 35
Level Up 53% Completed
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Forum Activity 16%
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Hi everyone,

As a reminder, I'm here to do what I can to help. If you do experience a concern with your Focus, getting it documented and diagnosed at your dealership is the ideal next step. If you need assistance from me, send me your information in a PM and I'll check out some options. Be sure to include your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 07-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #35
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

Points 708, Level 14
Points: 708, Level: 14 Points: 708, Level: 14 Points: 708, Level: 14
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 11 Arco-Zakus Great Standing Member
Who, me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuafail View Post
Eh, true. Though if you're that unwilling to take a little time (ten minutes, literally...) to learn about how your new $20k investment works and operates, you probably shouldn't have bought it in the first place.
You must be confusing me with the people I described in my previous comment. I am not one of them (this time), since I have not yet bought a Focus. (I might still decide on the new Civic Si Sedan, since for 2013 Honda jumped through hoops to correct the problems people complained about with the 2012 models.) Besides that, I gave myself more than two years lead time to research my next purchase, which I'm still in the process of doing. (Actually, shopping for my next car has usually been a continual process for me -- I love cars.) I have yet to find a Ford salesperson at a dealership who knows the new Focus as well as I do. But I'm probably kinda' weird that way and not a typical new car buyer.

Even with all the attention I pay to cars, I've made mistakes and bought "bad" ones quite a few times. Some of the people who did buy a Focus and are unhappy with it may have been lax in researching the car, but others bought them before the problems were publicized. (pioneers, arrows in back...) Ford did not help initially by referring to the DCT as if it were just a run of the mill "automatic transmission." It is still listed only as a "6-speed automatic" in the Build & Price tool at ford.com where you select it or "5-speed manual". (Six speeds is better than five, right?) Why would early buyers suspect that it was anything other than a traditional (torque converter & planetary gearset) automatic, when few of the people selling them even understood that? It seems that one of the design goals is to make it drive as much like a traditional automatic as possible, making it less likely that uninformed prospective buyers would notice during a brief test drive that it was something different. Most probably thought that since the shift lever looked just like the one in the previous generation Focus that must mean that everything on the other end of it was the same, too.

Then there were the ones (who knows how many?) who did understand their DCT and liked it enough to be satisfied with it. Until it started acting wierd. Some got the problems resolved OK, others not. It's still not clear how many owners have been affected and what Ford has done in the past two years to correct the problems (software, hardware, mechanical, service). "Problems" plural, since the bad reputation does not come from just one deficiency or defect. This makes it difficult to know how big a risk it is to buy the DCT today in a 2014 model.

If I do buy a Focus, it will most likely be with a manual transmission. The benefit of the DCT's really fast shifts does not seem to me to outweigh its awkwardness in the very conditions most people explain are the reason they want an automatic rather than a manual transmission. The only reasons I'd consider an automatic is that my wife hates driving a manual transmission and it would not surprise me if the next car I buy outlasts my aging knees, hips, or back. (Anybody know what's involved in converting to a hand operated clutch?)
Old 07-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #36
Juicedz
Focus Addict

Fan#: 108814
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Hatchback SE, 5sp

Points 2,288, Level 28
Points: 2,288, Level: 28 Points: 2,288, Level: 28 Points: 2,288, Level: 28
Level Up 92% Completed
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 3 Juicedz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
5-speed or nothing
Hatch Nation#24 172whp 157wtq
Old 07-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #37
loki993
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82968
What I Drive: 13 Red SE 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 loki993 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arco-Zakus View Post

If I do buy a Focus, it will most likely be with a manual transmission. The benefit of the DCT's really fast shifts does not seem to me to outweigh its awkwardness in the very conditions most people explain are the reason they want an automatic rather than a manual transmission. The only reasons I'd consider an automatic is that my wife hates driving a manual transmission and it would not surprise me if the next car I buy outlasts my aging knees, hips, or back. (Anybody know what's involved in converting to a hand operated clutch?)
The problem is, and you said it earlier, is that the DCT in the Focus shifts pretty much exactly, or as close as they could get it, to a traditional automatic. So you get none of the advantage you would usually get with a DCT, really fast shifts, and all of the quirks......odd behavior in slow traffic and around town situations. I really think they kind of dropped the ball with the DCT in the focus.....on the shifting aspect at least. I think if it shifted like a DCT is supposed to shift more people may be willing to accept its issues.

Don't know if you've driven a Focus with the DCT in it yet but they shift about as sluggishly and slowly as any regular auto I've ever driven and the "sport" mode doesn't really do anything to make it better.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #38
rockmurf
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 123345
What I Drive: 2013 granite Focus hatchback

Points 7, Level 1
Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 rockmurf Good Standing Member
I have a 2013 focus hatchback with auto and 8k miles and it has been to the dealer for the reflash which did not work. It still shudders like crazy at low speed. Went back to the dealer a month ago and they said they needed parts which were back ordered and should take 5 weeks to be here. We called the dealer yesterday and was told the parts are still back ordered and would be another month and was given the number to the regional ford guy which we are calling today. It sounds like if you got a good one it is a great car and if you did not ford doesn't seem to be doing very well fixing the problem. We shall see as I am not happy at having an under performing new car and at least another month away, maybe, from it being fixed, maybe.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #39
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
Some time ago I decided to stop giving any advice about buying or not a DCT equipped car, but I can't help myself, so here is my input.
First, you should check what kind of dealership you have in your area. If you have jerk-ones, DON'T buy a DCT equipped Ford Focus !
If you have some good ones, go for it ! There are not many DCT that are defective, but there are a lot of dealerships who DON'T WANT to help their customers with any quirks they may have. I have my FF since September 2011 and 54 000 km (33 554 miles) already. Yes, it has its quirks, sometime it acts like it is driven by a MT n00b, but 98% of the time I love it ! I would buy another DCT equipped car without a problem ! I have to underline that this FF is my first AT ever, all my previous cars were MT equipped. And I chose it AT only because of the DCT ! So, because of my background, I easily adapted my driving to it. Yes, driving a DCT is not like driving a slushbox, it needs some adjustments.

My advice if you go for a DCT quipped FF ->>> the first 1000 miles, drive it "like you stole it" :
- don't baby it but don't red-line it either;
- don't use cruise control when on highways and switch often from S to D and back again to D - the computer will learn all the specter of rpms;
- from a full stop, wait a full second before pushing the gas pedal and it will take off without the lag some complain about;
- some use S mode in town and D mode on highway. I switch from D to S sometimes (when on long slopes) but not that often, after the "break in period" (1000 miles);
- when you feel like the car has no "power" (it's in a higher gear than it should), push the gas pedal to force the downgrade of the gears.

After the 1000 miles mark, you can drive it as you like, and I assure you, it will act as intended most of the time. Unless you really have a lemon and then, it is up to you and your dealer to solve it. I must mention that the Civic Si have lemons too, so... this can happen to anyone.

You'll have the "grinding" sound - it is something "by default" and I also have it - but it is not a big deal. Or at least for now. Do not forget one thing: the DCT loves to be pushed, it is not for 80 y.o. grannies running 30 mph on a 50 mph road.

P.S. Some say that the DCT doesn't shift faster than a MT. My opinion is that they are too cocky. The FF DCT switch gears faster than a MT driver. And having a 6th gear it sure helps the mpg at highway speeds.
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #40
NickCornell
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 97233
What I Drive: 2012 Race red Focus SEL

Points 13,642, Level 75
Points: 13,642, Level: 75 Points: 13,642, Level: 75 Points: 13,642, Level: 75
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 12 NickCornell Great Standing Member
If you can drive a stick get th3 5mt. You'll be happier.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.