Considering 2013 Focus SE Automatic - should I? - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #21
babaei
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 113602
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 babaei Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have been nothing but happy with my 2013 SE with the DCT. One of the best cars I've ever driven, especially for the price.

My observation on this forum is that the problems, both mechanical and ride quality, with the DCT have gone way down since the early part of the 2012 model year. It looks like they have it under control at this point (although I'm sure some frequent forum members dealing with poor service departments will disagree with me), and if you get a late-built 2013 (with the 4-way trip computer display ), you should be pretty happy.

Be sure to take a comprehensive test drive, which is good advice for any car, and check out the competition (Mazda3, Civic, Cruze, Elantra, etc.) The DCT has a few quirks compared to the automatic in other cars, but also has fantastic fuel economy. The more informed you can be, the better your decision will be.

I would have no problem buying another Focus with a DCT, but I'm just another semi-anonymous voice on the Internet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2013, 02:07 PM   #22
JBass
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 89534
What I Drive: 2012 blue candy 5-dr SEL

FF Reputation: 1 JBass Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainest View Post
I have read that there are "tunes" being developed (have been developed?) for the DCT processor. If you refuse to get a three pedal Focus, perhaps, if you love the rest of the car, a DCT tune would be the solution.
It's not that I refuse to buy a manual. I had a serious accident and now my left leg is like a stick. If I could still use a clutch I would have bought the manual, especially since that would mean my wife wouldn't drive it. Not so lucky now, she loves the DCT and the car is gone all the time.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #23
13focusHB
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116244
What I Drive: 2013 gray focus se 5dr

FF Reputation: 1 13focusHB Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I just bought a focus dct. Wanted a 5 speed but wife prefers automatic. Love car so far
Old 06-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #24
Hypnotoad
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85864
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 3 Hypnotoad Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBass View Post
I have a 2012 with the DCT and overall I'm quite happy with it, though it can be quirky in slow traffic. I was getting a shudder when it shifted into 2nd, but when I paid attention I realized it was bucking like any MT will if you upshift at too low engine speed. With it in manual mode, I don't shift into second until the tach is over 3000rpm and there is never any shuddering. Ford set the shift point too low, probably in an attempt to maximize MPG. I recommend using manual mode in city driving.
I never got any shudder in 2nd at any speed until the clutch got contaminated with oil. That is probably what has happened to you. Instead of using manual mode to get around the problem you should take it in to get the clutch and seal replaced under TSB 13-04-05.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:16 PM   #25
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainest View Post
I have read that there are "tunes" being developed (have been developed?) for the DCT processor. If you refuse to get a three pedal Focus, perhaps, if you love the rest of the car, a DCT tune would be the solution.
Interesting choice: either a car that works properly or an intact manufacturer's warranty.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:42 PM   #26
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

FF Reputation: 10 Arco-Zakus Great Standing Member
Interesting choice, indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Interesting choice: either a car that works properly or an intact manufacturer's warranty.
Brevity is the soul of wit.

I'd add that the first choice requires the car to be restricted to off road use, or the owner to violate federal and state laws. The solution would be for Ford to be the one offering the "tune". There are probably at least a few engineers working there who would love to do that, and who easily could.

They don't because of the "no free lunch" rule. Improving driveability and/or performance would likely come at the cost of a decrease in fuel economy, an increase in emissions (making Ford the violater of some federal law), or a higher price. (Probably a combination.) Customer demands, government regulations, and competitive pressures for improvements in all three put Ford between the proverbial "rock and a hard place". We are more to blame for that than Ford is. They're just trying to survive the mess we have put them in. (Teetering dangerously close to the line between acceptible technical and prohibited political discussion ...)

Were it not for that, they'd still be offering a tried and true conventional automatic transmission in the Focus. If the more expensive wet DCT design were the answer, Ford would be switching to it. Instead, VW is trying to improve sales with the less expensive dry clutch approach.

Ford is betting that eventually the engineers will get it worked out, just like they did when regulations requiring emission controls first appeared in the late '60s. Those are still not without ill effcts on our engines, but at least they're less prone to totally destroying them at an early age and starting fires when parked near dry grass, as early designs did. Not to mention the terrible driveability and performance they caused. (History repeats.)

That's no comfort to the customers who get stuck with early versions of equipment that fall short in some inconvenient way. "It's easy to spot the pioneers -- they're the ones with arrows in their backs." Then and now. Caveat emptor.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #27
joshuafail
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115261
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Silver SE w/MFT

FF Reputation: 8 joshuafail Good Standing Member
I have a 2013 with the DCT and have absolutely zero issues with it.

There is a learning curve, and there is a distinct difference between a traditional torque converter automatic and a DCT though. I personally prefer the DCT, the way it feels, and how it acts.

I would say go for it. You won't have any regrets.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:55 PM   #28
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Fan#: 85425
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arco-Zakus View Post

Were it not for that, they'd still be offering a tried and true conventional automatic transmission in the Focus. If the more expensive wet DCT design were the answer, Ford would be switching to it. Instead, VW is trying to improve sales with the less expensive dry clutch approach.
Wet DCT also lowers MPG because it is a lot heavier due to carrying around gallons of oil, and mpg rules all in the current market
Sonic Crew #04
Steeda SRI/Newmission | Steeda RSB | SMC Replica ST Wing | SMC Aluminum Oil cap | Injected Tune | 2.5" custom exhaust
Old 07-16-2013, 04:00 PM   #29
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Opening the trunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmtex View Post
... I had trucks all my life and wanted a dam trunk. God I love opening the trunk. ...
I love the image that creates in my mind. "LOL" is sooo overused, but in this case I really did LOL. From now on I am going to pay more attention whenever I open a trunk and be sure to enjoy it more. Thank you for that.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #30
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Some do, some don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuafail View Post
... There is a learning curve, and there is a distinct difference between a traditional torque converter automatic and a DCT though. ... I would say go for it. You won't have any regrets.
"You won't have any regrets" IF you make the commitment to follow that learning curve AND accept the "distinct difference between a traditional torque converter automatic and a DCT".

Not all buyers are willing to do both. I'm pretty sure I could, since I've owned only manual transmissions for years. My wife would probably be the opposite, since all but her first car have had automatic transmissions. Different expectations.

I think I would still rather be the one deciding what gear I want the transmission to be in than relying on some committee of software designers (and government regulators) to do that, even if it can shift between them more quickly as than I can. It's bad enough having them work the throttle for me. (Too bad we can't get a manual throttle with that manual transmission.)

Bookmarks & Social Networks