Considering 2013 Focus SE Automatic - should I? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-28-2013, 02:03 AM   #11
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougfunnie View Post
A few questions:

1. What is the consensus on the automatic transmission in the 2013 SE model? Have the issues with grinding/rattling and rough shifting been worked out since the 2012 model, or no?

2. Is there any data on how widespread these transmission problems are? I notice that this issue isn't mentioned in any of the professional reviews for the 2012/2013 Focus models, though perhaps they tested the manual trans. Is the general consensus that these are isolated build quality problems, or will all vehicles with this transmission have the same issues?

3. Is there any expectation that these issues will be resolved in the 2014 Focus? Would it be wise to wait for that model?

In short, after reading about these transmission issues, I'm thinking it would be wise to run far away from the Focus. Is there any reason I should reconsider?
Read my previous post and then buy the Focus.
Ford did a damn good job of improving the DCT, especially it's "brain".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2013, 06:33 AM   #12
84Camaro_L69
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105844
What I Drive: 2012 Diamond Tri Coat White SEL HB

FF Reputation: 1 84Camaro_L69 Good Standing Member
I love my Focus with the semi-auto.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:50 AM   #13
Hiwayracer
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 109808
What I Drive: Focus 2013 SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Hiwayracer Good Standing Member
I have the 2013 SE hatch automatic too (no powershift) job 1.

Just crossed over 10'000 miles this morning - no issues and I love the car.

My only wish is that I had the job 2 4 way split information screen, my wife has it on her 2013 Escape.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:51 AM   #14
loki993
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82968
What I Drive: 13 Red SE 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 loki993 Good Standing Member
Semi automatic...maybe but they did their best to make it feel like a regular automatic, which I didn't like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von551 View Post
a lot of professional reviews DO mention the 'quirky' or 'sluggish' or 'jerky' DCT. They say it rolls back on hills and is jerky at low speeds while parking or from take off or in reverse on a driveway or downshifts unnecessarily on freeway hills or doesn't do so when needed, etc. I can't point you to the exact reviews because I've read so many, but it wasn't hard to find them. Edmunds mentions it HERE. DCT is a tricky thing, all the BMW's that started having them in 2008 are having major issues with them now. Unless it's in a high end car or race car it's hard to do them right. Just find the exact car you want at a dealership and test drive the crap out of it. I liked the DCT focus I test drove, but I'm a manual transmission guy, love it! I didn't want to take a chance on the tranny being a dud, plus it's $1,000 more! If you're not a MT guy, maybe the Focus isn't for you...Mazda3, Civic, Elantra are better bets...
I honestly think that that could just be the nature of DCTs in general and not just isolated to the Focus. For example I was watching Top Gear last night and Clarkson basically said just that about DCTs, they're basically useless around town going slow, an overly extreme comment probably but that's Clarkson. They jerk, make wired noises etc etc and he was in a Lambo complaining about that one.

Either way all Im saying is that I think its correct that some of the "issues" people are having are because they have a preconceived notion about how an automatic should be and when its not they think there is an issue. That's not to say there aren't actual issues, there are its just they may be exaggerated

With all that said I got the stick, but a prefer a stick......
Old 06-28-2013, 08:28 AM   #15
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
Read my previous post and then buy the Focus.
Ford did a damn good job of improving the DCT, especially it's "brain".
Ford has made improvements, no doubt (I should know after 6 service visits,4 or so software updates and several service lectures). But the OP should do 2 things before he follows this advice:

1) rent a DCT Focus for a weekend to make sure he likes the way it behaves, particularly in heavy traffic and around town

2) understand that, while the odds of getting a good trans are pretty high, the odds of getting a bad one are probably greater than for Focus competitors - if that happens you are stuck with the crack technicians of the Ford service network who will quickly proclaim any misbehavior as "normal"
Old 06-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #16
valmundo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89368
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE & 2013 ST2

FF Reputation: 10 valmundo Great Standing Member
I have a SE Sport DCT Hatch and have no problems. It has 32,000 miles on it so far.

The "interwebs" tends to bring out commenters who have issues with their cars but that is a misleading barometer to judge a car. Its good that folks here are pointing out problems with their cars: It makes you an informed consumer, but ultimately, you need to do your homework before you take the plunge.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #17
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Ford has made improvements, no doubt (I should know after 6 service visits,4 or so software updates and several service lectures). But the OP should do 2 things before he follows this advice:

1) rent a DCT Focus for a weekend to make sure he likes the way it behaves, particularly in heavy traffic and around town

2) understand that, while the odds of getting a good trans are pretty high, the odds of getting a bad one are probably greater than for Focus competitors - if that happens you are stuck with the crack technicians of the Ford service network who will quickly proclaim any misbehavior as "normal"
This. Drive the car to make sure you enjoy it before you get married.

As for number 2, it's like betting all of your money on red and black in roulette. Chances are you'll love the outcome, but there's still a chance (5.26% in the case of roulette) that you'll lose it all (e.g., the dealer will tell you it's normal and to off)

Hey! They're both called dealers!? Must be because it's always a gamble when you buy a new car.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #18
loki993
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82968
What I Drive: 13 Red SE 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 loki993 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by valmundo View Post
I have a SE Sport DCT Hatch and have no problems. It has 32,000 miles on it so far.

The "interwebs" tends to bring out commenters who have issues with their cars but that is a misleading barometer to judge a car. Its good that folks here are pointing out problems with their cars: It makes you an informed consumer, but ultimately, you need to do your homework before you take the plunge.
This too.....99.9 percent of wont come on here and say how much they love their DCT. However a lot will come on say they don't.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #19
JBass
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 89534
What I Drive: 2012 blue candy 5-dr SEL

FF Reputation: 1 JBass Good Standing Member
DCT shudder

I have a 2012 with the DCT and overall I'm quite happy with it, though it can be quirky in slow traffic. I was getting a shudder when it shifted into 2nd, but when I paid attention I realized it was bucking like any MT will if you upshift at too low engine speed. With it in manual mode, I don't shift into second until the tach is over 3000rpm and there is never any shuddering. Ford set the shift point too low, probably in an attempt to maximize MPG. I recommend using manual mode in city driving.
That's the bad. The good part is that the car handles better than many more expensive vehicles and feels absolutely planted on the road. Try a twisty road in the mountains and you'll see what I mean.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #20
mainest
Focus Addict

Fan#: 60163
What I Drive: '04 Red Euro SVT

FF Reputation: 7 mainest Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
I have read that there are "tunes" being developed (have been developed?) for the DCT processor. If you refuse to get a three pedal Focus, perhaps, if you love the rest of the car, a DCT tune would be the solution.

Bookmarks & Social Networks